PDA

View Full Version : P-40 I love it but it hates me!

XyZspineZyX
07-03-2003, 09:09 AM
I recently got a new rig to play FB on and can now play all the maps with excellent settings. So the first thing I did was set up a new Leningrad Campaign in the P-40. I always loved this plane but in FB its just a nightmare. I like to fly all planes in FB but with the P-40 its instant death every mission I fly - I get scared when it dives, turns and seems to take forever to climb. Does this thing actually have a radiator?? Was this plane really that bad? I seem to be able to master other planes with enough practice but I'm really struggling with this one. Oh and how the hell do you get a P-40 out of a spin???

Anyone got any tips on flying this troublesome little plane??

XyZspineZyX
07-03-2003, 09:09 AM
I recently got a new rig to play FB on and can now play all the maps with excellent settings. So the first thing I did was set up a new Leningrad Campaign in the P-40. I always loved this plane but in FB its just a nightmare. I like to fly all planes in FB but with the P-40 its instant death every mission I fly - I get scared when it dives, turns and seems to take forever to climb. Does this thing actually have a radiator?? Was this plane really that bad? I seem to be able to master other planes with enough practice but I'm really struggling with this one. Oh and how the hell do you get a P-40 out of a spin???

Anyone got any tips on flying this troublesome little plane??

XyZspineZyX
07-03-2003, 09:14 AM
Keep practicing.

Spin recovery: chop throttle, leave stick in center postion, stand on rudder opposite of spin direction. If the spin is flat (nose never points down), BAIL. Once the nose gets pointed downward, get off the rudder, go to full power, and try to level out gently.

If you want a real good time, pushed all the joystick settings to 100 in the settings menu and fly the P-40 http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

<font face="Courier New">
&nbspBaldieJr
_____ | _____
_\__(o)__/_
./ \.
Whiners don't play vulchers
(er, winners)
</font>

XyZspineZyX
07-03-2003, 09:14 AM
- Oh and how the hell do you get a P-40 out
- of a spin???

By pressing (default key) A. For autopilot. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

<center>

http://www.geocities.com/warhawk530/AVG.jpg

'It is the Courage, not the score, that counts ...' - Mohd Naqiuddin

Cpt.LoneRanger
07-03-2003, 09:21 AM
The P40 will be adressed by the upcoming patch. Right now, it is useless, since it's strength (dive-speed, turn rate on fast speeds) are bugged up. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

I like the P40, too, but right now, it really get's on your nerves.

BTW: if you want to dive faster, activate the autopilot - it can dive much faster than you (780kph+), but you have to wait until you're back to a save speed or you'll explode by deactivating the autopilot.......

Where's that patch, again ....?

greets
Cpt.LoneRanger

XyZspineZyX
07-03-2003, 09:25 AM
I find the best way to get out of a spin is cut power opposite rudder then push the stick forward and roll into the spin works every time for me ( but only if you are high enough )

No1RAAF_Pourshot

XO No1RAAF

http://www.froggy.com.au/edinkulelija/no1raaf/image/crest.gif

some are the hunters the rest are the hunted

XyZspineZyX
07-03-2003, 11:02 AM
Hehehe I fly it too in a campaign! Really sadistic. Really, all you can do when a 109 is after you (especially a 109f) is make evasive manouvres and call "HELP!!" really loud ^_^

But this is what it's supposed to be, right? The plane info says it was obsolete at the beginning of the war. It does have nice firepower, though. Those 6 .50's rip through enemies with ease. Good for snapshots. That's all you're gonna get! Can't wait till my campaign advances to the P47, with 8 of em 8)

XyZspineZyX
07-03-2003, 02:33 PM
The p-40 on early servers or furball servers is incredible! It outturns everything if flown right and if the guns even look at another plane, that plane goes down. Ask Lixma or Mr PeeForty! This plane requires a time investment as does the p-47.

XyZspineZyX
07-03-2003, 02:46 PM
PRACTICE makes perfect /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

<center>

http://www.geocities.com/warhawk530/AVG.jpg

'It is the Courage, not the score, that counts ...' - Mohd Naqiuddin

Message Edited on 07/03/0301:46PM by warhawk_530

XyZspineZyX
07-03-2003, 03:14 PM
I guess practice does make perfect. Oh well another 3-4 hours tonight and for the rest of the week and I'll see how I get on. Gotta love IL-2, been playing it since 2001 and its still difficult...

XyZspineZyX
07-03-2003, 03:21 PM
Since I have been relatively successful flying it, I can't wait to fly it when it's fixed in the patch. Being able to dive it will help.....but then all the FMs are going to change so it could be a whole new ballgame.