PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard throttle?



ROXunreal
02-22-2009, 02:11 PM
Hi there.

I've been playing IL-2 offline casually for a good 2 years now, and sporadically since it got out. Today I decided it was finally time I started playing online, and I will be buying a 1946 copy tomorrow, since my game is only updated as far as Pacific Fighters. I'm fairly excited but I have some general questions:

I will be needing a joystick (yes, I actually MASTERED playing IL-2 with the keyboard through these years http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif , but still understand that I would be wiped out without a joystick online), but I really don't have the money for a joystick + throttle, and was wondering does a manual throttle lever make a really big difference from altering the throttle via keyboard (by pressing two buttons for more or less throttle), and in what way (apart from the authenticity)?
I mean I'd love a throttle lever and rudder pedals and everything, but I don't see that happening any time soon, since I have other things to spend money on. (and damn rudder pedals are notoriously expensive)

Also, from reading some online guides and from the apparent activity of this forum, this is not a dying community right? As in, the game keeps on living? I don't want to spend 100$ on the game and stick if it is slowly sliding towards the inevitable, and I guess I'm just asking for a confirmation that the game is alive and kicking after all these years and that there is always someone to play with.

I'm really looking forward to flying with you guys, cheers.

na85
02-22-2009, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by ROXunreal:
Hi there.

I've been playing IL-2 offline casually for a good 2 years now, and sporadically since it got out. Today I decided it was finally time I started playing online, and I will be buying a 1946 copy tomorrow, since my game is only updated as far as Pacific Fighters. I'm fairly excited but I have some general questions:

I will be needing a joystick (yes, I actually MASTERED playing IL-2 with the keyboard through these years http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif , but still understand that I would be wiped out without a joystick online), but I really don't have the money for a joystick + throttle, and was wondering does a manual throttle lever make a really big difference from altering the throttle via keyboard (by pressing two buttons for more or less throttle), and in what way (apart from the authenticity)?
I mean I'd love a throttle lever and rudder pedals and everything, but I don't see that happening any time soon, since I have other things to spend money on. (and damn rudder pedals are notoriously expensive)

Also, from reading some online guides and from the apparent activity of this forum, this is not a dying community right? As in, the game keeps on living? I don't want to spend 100$ on the game and stick if it is slowly sliding towards the inevitable, and I guess I'm just asking for a confirmation that the game is alive and kicking after all these years and that there is always someone to play with.

I'm really looking forward to flying with you guys, cheers.

The difference between throttle on an axis vs throttle on the keyboard is that on the keyboard you can only go in increments of 5% IIRC. Whereas on a joystick you can go in incrememnts of 1%.

Beyond that, it's mostly a speed thing. If you REALLY need to throttle up or down fast, it's quicker to jam the throttle lever forward than it is to mash the throttle up button 10 times.

Other than that there are no differences.

Make sure the joystick you get has at least 3 axes: X and Y for elevators and ailerons, and a Z twisty axis for rudder (since you won't have pedals).

Most entry-level joysticks have 4 axes: X and Y for ailerons and elevators, the Z twisty axis for rudder, and usually either a rotary wheel or a slider of some kind. I have one of these:

https://heartlandcomputers.com/picupload/HLC2C2E77E5_Extreme3D.jpg

And I put the throttle on that little lever at the back.

There are lots of people here who will tell you Logitech sticks are no good and to buy Saitek sticks but my logitech has lasted 3 years so far with no major issues. My roommate's saited x52 (which cost significantly more) sits unused on his desk because it broke after a year of use.

The best sticks in terms of quality are probably the CH sticks but they are expensive. I have the CH pro rudder pedals and I want a CH stick and throttle combo but I just can't justify the purchase when I've still got a working stick.

Rock_Kettler
02-22-2009, 02:53 PM
Don't know if you're in the UK but if you are check out this link.
http://www.play.com/Search.asp...arch&go.x=36&go.y=13 (http://www.play.com/Search.aspx?searchtype=PCSH&searchstring=Joysticks&page=search&pa=search&go.x=36&go.y=13)

I would personally recommend the Saitek AV8R-01. I've been using one for a 18 months at least, no problems. Prefer it to my Saitek Evo with FFB. It has 2 x lever throttles (for single engine you can use the second lever for prop pitch or mixture), 3 x 4 toggle switches, that's effectively 24 programable functions, 8 way hat, trigger and 3 buttons. All buttons also potentially 3 x programable. The options are staggering.

Play.dot price is post and packing free to UK and if purchase under 18 no VAT, (hence 17.99). I paid 24.99 for mine + p&p and still thought I had a bargain.

Edit: Just seen that they are out of stock. Worth asking delivery expectations it could be worth waiting for!

Zeus-cat
02-22-2009, 03:32 PM
The community is alive and well and should be for the foreseeable future. At some point the follow on, BOB - Storm of War, will come out and many people will move on to that sim. But you could too.

I would get a good joystick and enjoy the game(s) for years to come.

dashman
02-22-2009, 03:56 PM
Hey, Rox,

another option is to use mouse scroll for throttle, especially if you use the mouse to look around like I do (set mouse sensitivity to 3-5 range for viewing - too high and it gets jumpy).

I use left mouse click for forward view and right click to toggle depth of field, so I'm right there for the throttle.

I use an AV8R, BTW.

ROXunreal
02-22-2009, 05:04 PM
Great, thanks for the advice.

No I am not in the UK (Croatia), but that link was still useful so that I can compare prices. I read about the Aviator joystick earlier today, and it sounds good, and is very reasonably priced. And doesn't look too sci-fi, which is good since I'm flying WW2 planes http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

jamesblonde1979
02-22-2009, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by na85:
I have one of these:

https://heartlandcomputers.com/picupload/HLC2C2E77E5_Extreme3D.jpg



I have had about six of those...

They're a great little stick for a few months but they do wear out, buttons stop working, axes fail to re-center correctly...

Good for a beginner or a cost conscious part-timer but something more reliable is essential for a pathologically obsessed IL2 afficionado.

I would reccomend this stick to you ROXunreal if you are cost conscious but don't fall into a false economy trap like I have.

If you are a regualr player then try getting used to a stick with one of these and save your pennies for an upgrade when it wears out.

ROXunreal
02-22-2009, 05:25 PM
I'm going for the Aviator. As I said, not that much expensive at all.

jamesblonde1979
02-22-2009, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by ROXunreal:
I'm going for the Aviator. As I said, not that much expensive at all.

Cool, let us know how you get on.

(I've been a keyboard pilot myself from time to time, I have to get my IL2 fix any way I can!)

Happy landings!

ROXunreal
02-23-2009, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by jamesblonde1979:

(I've been a keyboard pilot myself from time to time, I have to get my IL2 fix any way I can!)



I could fly Heinkels 111's under bridges up side down with a keyboard, in real time http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/alb...inkerunderbridge.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/ROXunreal/heinkerunderbridge.jpg)

Also, the purchase is complete

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/ROXunreal/il2-1.jpg

I look forward to meeting you guys in the sky. I just hope my laptop can handle it, otherwise I'll have to wait 3 days to get home.

ROXunreal
02-26-2009, 07:42 AM
Damn the transition from keyboard to joystick is harder than I thought.

jamesblonde1979
02-26-2009, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by ROXunreal:
Damn the transition from keyboard to joystick is harder than I thought.

Make sure you are using the right settings, there are some threads around that explain how to set them up and make the learning curve a bit easier.

ROXunreal
02-26-2009, 08:46 AM
I think it's calibrated right, I just need to program all the functions correctly. Trim is a bit difficult to understand how to program.

The main problem is the different feel itself, just have to get used to it. Went online for the first time today but flying via stick was just too awkward and I ran away from every enemy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Then crash landed by the runway while trying to land. I should have done at least that with the keyboard to spare myself the shame http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Anyway, methinks I'll stay offline until I get a better hang of this stick business http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Rock_Kettler
02-26-2009, 05:08 PM
Hi ROX.
Have you created a profile for the stick against the the Controls in the game, (either Default Controls or your own setup)?

ROXunreal
02-26-2009, 05:27 PM
Nope, not yet. I'll leave it for tomorrow, seems like a lot of work.

Rock_Kettler
02-27-2009, 05:42 AM
True enough. However it is well worth the trouble in the long run.

Happy to help if you need.

ROXunreal
03-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Well, I programmed the thing, was easier than I thought. Got my first online kills today, an IL-2 and Spit from a Spit, and a 109 from a La-5 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks again everyone for the help and advice. Awesome game.