PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty settings

commandguy
12-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Does anyone think there should be difficulty settings implemented into the game?
I personally think the game is a tad too easy.
A shame really, cause you can hire different factions, use smoke bombs, and assassinate from almost every position, but I've never felt like I absolutely needed to use all of that in order to survive. Plus what I've noticed was that you've got relatively few mission where you must remain undetected, thus sucking out the challenge a bit.
Hopefully we'll see difficulty settings implemented someday (maybe with the DLC?) that requires the player to remain stealthy at all times. For you can barely survive combat at a high difficulty setting or the missions is over when you become exposed.

Does anyone else share my thoughts?
I would like to hear some ideas/opinions, so feel free to share them here.

ps,
please don't think I dislike the game because of this because I really love it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

warsow7
12-10-2009, 12:01 PM
In my opinion, the inclusion of difficulty settings (more user options in general) is always a plus. It lets advanced players start out on a more challenging level while allowing more casual players to start lower and work their up. Overall, I find the game to be moderately challenging, and it all depends on how I choose to go about completing the missions. In a game like AC2, the player has a great deal of control over the difficulty without needing settings by simply deciding to attempt missions in more challenging ways. Then again, difficulty settings provide some good trophy material, and I loves me some trophies! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif It doesn't really matter to me - the real issue is just fixing various bugs and anomalies, providing the best (and fuctional) experience to the players. I'm sure I'll be fine with whatever Ubisoft decides.

commandguy
12-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Well, sure you can make the game as hard as you want it to be. Though I'd like to see someway the game itself get's harder, not that you simply make it harder for yourself.
It's like all the tools (factions blending with groups etc.) are there for you so you can try your outmost to stay incognito, yet the game does nothing with them....

oldman765
12-10-2009, 12:09 PM
I agree i would be keen on a difficulty option, I thought I read in an interview months ago that there would be a difficulty option and it would work like a level of 'emersion'<sp>.

As in you can choose how close you follow to the memory, so for example a parameter for a harder mode would be that ezio wasn't detected at all while doing a mission so hence at the highest level of 'emersion'<sp> you would be required to remain undetected aswell.

The lower level of emersion would mean you would follow the memory more loosely.

This had excited me at the time of reading but don't get me wrong i really, really like the game i just thought i read something like that.

perhaps it was speculation by someone else if so I'm sorry.

commandguy
12-10-2009, 12:20 PM
The word you are looking for is "immersion", I suppose?
But one of the things in regards to difficulty I'd like to see is definetely staying anonymous for the entire duration of a mission. So you have to make use of your surroundings in order to survive, instead of it being optional for most of the time.

caswallawn_2k7
12-10-2009, 12:34 PM
while the game is quite easy, if you want to make it harder don't reset your notoriety (you can still blend and hide) and don't get the armour upgrades then your health stay's down.

G0dsHolyMember
12-10-2009, 12:53 PM
ooooh I would just love to max out the difficulty settings.

Make max difficulty the following

1) all assassination missions require stealth (except the mission-specific that dont)

2) 1 public incident raises notoriety to 100%

3) all guards fight at max skill (i.e. counter-attacks are harder to pull off and conventional swordfighting is harder like the last few missions

4) doing something socially unacceptable or unusual raises notoriety by 25%

5) 3 direct (e.g. unblocked) weapon impacts are instantly fatal (regardless of health)

...that is all

Give me that and level select (including replaying assassin tombs) and I'll be forever greatful (and drooling for AC3)

thekyle0
12-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by oldman765:
I agree i would be keen on a difficulty option, I thought I read in an interview months ago that there would be a difficulty option and it would work like a level of 'emersion'<sp>.

As in you can choose how close you follow to the memory, so for example a parameter for a harder mode would be that ezio wasn't detected at all while doing a mission so hence at the highest level of 'emersion'<sp> you would be required to remain undetected aswell.

The lower level of emersion would mean you would follow the memory more loosely.

This had excited me at the time of reading but don't get me wrong i really, really like the game i just thought i read something like that.

perhaps it was speculation by someone else if so I'm sorry. That exact set up was described by the creative director in an E3 interview. So you were exactly right.

I can do without the difficulty setting. I usually spend a lot of time during the mission just figuring out where every guard is, their patrol patterns, the targets patrol pattern, make a mental layout of the environment, and then decide which way I want to approach the target. If I screw up along the way then I just restart the mission.

Originally posted by: caswallawn
while the game is quite easy, if you want to make it harder don't reset your notoriety (you can still blend and hide) and don't get the armour upgrades then your health stay's down. That doesn't make it any harder. I just finished playing the game without buying any armor or weapons. I also never bought/used medicine. An occasional visit to the doctor was all it took to keep my synch bar up. I never desynched because of combat, except for one time when my controller's batteries died. It turns out the game doesn't pause itself when this happens. Unless you're not good at the combat then the only way to significantly challenge yourself on this game is to take a stealthy approach to as many missions as possible.

Originally posted by G0dsHolyMember:
Give me that and level select (including replaying assassin tombs) and I'll be forever greatful (and drooling for AC3) All side missions can be replayed. Including all the assassin's tombs except for Novella's Secret.

Sren001
12-10-2009, 12:59 PM

1) all assassination missions require stealth (except the mission-specific that dont)

3) all guards fight at max skill (i.e. counter-attacks are harder to pull off and conventional swordfighting is harder like the last few missions

5) 3 direct (e.g. unblocked) weapon impacts are instantly fatal (regardless of health)

...that is all

Give me that and level select (including replaying assassin tombs) and I'll be forever greatful (and drooling for AC3)
I like this post http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

But you can already replay Tombs :P
Just go into the DNA section
Secondary Memories and choose a tomb http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

commandguy
12-10-2009, 01:45 PM

...that is all

You read my mind... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

wwfls1
12-10-2009, 01:46 PM
well 1st before people even think of putting a dificult setting they have to talk about HOW to make combat difficult so thats the main thread

G0dsHolyMember
12-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by wwfls1:
well 1st before people even think of putting a dificult setting they have to talk about HOW to make combat difficult so thats the main thread

I think the trick to making combat more difficult is to make the fighting even more dynamic, and give guards (preferrably the advanced) the ability to successfully parry and kill you the way you can them. Right now its basically just select the hidden blade and get your parry timed right...very basic since the other weapons don't have successful parry attacks against the advanced guards

I had suggested in the "moves wishlist" topic that you should be able to basically parry and repost multiple times (as opposed to once) in a single bout, each time ups the ante and each time you need to get your timing right.

For example, using a sword, you attack an advanced guard, they parry against your blow and are beginning their counter, you parry against their counter with the dagger or hidden blade (would need to make a quick-select for dagger; perhaps D-pad left...move health to triangle), if they parry your dagger as well, you can try a grapple, disarm, or quick-select pistol and do a parry with the pistol (uses a round, obviously). If they parry that as well, its time to dodge and look for an escape!

In general, each subsequent parry-repost would be harder to perform than the previous. But the general idea is that guards would be extremely hard to kill if you didn't ambush them, and at the very least, they will preoccupy you if enough of them surround you while you're trying to chase someone down.

Right now its far to easy to just counter a few guards and take off after a target while they pause in awe.

caswallawn_2k7
12-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Right now its basically just select the hidden blade and get your parry timed right...very basic since the other weapons don't have successful parry attacks against the advanced guards
unless you counter their counters and time combos coming out of it. you don't need to use the hidden blade and disarm on advanced guards it's just the easy option.

if you counter a advanced guard they break the counter, if you can time it properly you can block/counter this then quickly shift into a combo killing the guard with a sword/knife.

if you rely entirely on counters you don't want the game to be any harder as your already playing easy mode and cant use the full combat system, get in some grab's, some combos, some counters, some counter counters and some counter combos. not only does it make fighting more interesting it also makes it look a lot better as you are using a wider range of attacks.

krimm987
12-11-2009, 02:12 AM
you can also play without the hud, i personally let the iss active, the result of that setup is that it increase the difficulty..not in the combats, but in terms of memorizing the map/town, and in orientation.
that's a different game with this setup, but it feels better.I also noticed that when you had the minimap turned on: you're too much focused on it, so you're just "locking" your eyes on it and following it until you have an obstacle..

But dont get me wrong, the miss of a difficulty setting ( combat and health) is THE black point in this game.and i really hope it will be in a next patch.

thebutcherhead
12-11-2009, 04:17 AM
I have a question, when people say that the combat isn't difficult enough, is it because they spam counters for every attack? Because I tried to use the footwork to get Ezio into positions where it's difficult to block incoming attacks, and make the fights seem more intense. I find that the more intenstiy you try to put out in the fights, the more challenging and fast-paced they are. Also, guards try to attack more frequently, especially when you use normal deflects + immediate combo kills timed right after the blocks are finished.

I don't know if this is just easier for other people, or if they just spam the X button on enemies until a combo kill or regular counter, which I thought was slow and boring. I'm confused as to where most of the complaints stem from.

caswallawn_2k7
12-11-2009, 04:59 AM
I don't know if this is just easier for other people, or if they just spam the X button on enemies until a combo kill or regular counter, which I thought was slow and boring. I'm confused as to where most of the complaints stem from.
most of the complaints come from the fact the majority of players use the easy option that was also in AC1 and just use counters for everything. it makes combat a lot easier but as you noticed it also makes it slower. this is why people complain the combat is easy as they learn one move instead of learning how to use combat fully.