PDA

View Full Version : Why did they rush through Altair missions? *Spoiler

Sarari
11-24-2011, 10:45 PM
Why were the Altair missions so rushed. The only one that really took time so far was the first one.

The 2nd and 3rd ones went by so fast. One moment I was talking to his wife and the next moment she's dead and then I fight off a few guards.

I feel that Ubisoft failed in giving Altair a good back story and that they didn't even care to give him one. They seem to look up to Ezio as the main story's character.

The only part that really got to me was when one of Abbas's workers told Altair what he said before he killed his son. I was off like hell.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Spoiler Warning and Language Edited.</span>

YHHTQ
11-24-2011, 11:02 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: IMO, they served their purpose, which was to establish a connection with Alta´r, the man behind the legend, nothing more. When it comes to gameplay, there's no difference at ALL if you're playing either with Ezio or Alta´r.

Truth be told, I wouldn't mind at all if his sequences were just a bit longer but the story was there, the connection was there and I loved every single bit of it; The one where Alta´r kills Abbas and the last one in the Library were godlike.

Randy 355
11-25-2011, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by YHHTQ:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: IMO, they served their purpose, which was to establish a connection with Alta´r, the man behind the legend, nothing more.
That's the thing. He served his purpose, and that's it. They turned Altair into a plot device, when he should have had more time to be the character Altair fans loved. This was a great opportunity to bring back Altair, and the crusades.

I mean, what they had of Altair was cool, but c'mon. There could have been more. Not to mention no Malik, no Freeroam, No Armor of Altair, No Short Blade, and oh yeah, a 40 year gap of his life.

S-EVANS
11-25-2011, 01:19 AM
They could have simply used FMV to explain the altair parts of revelations in all honesty...

The fact we got playable sections, by some would be considered a gift rather than rushed development. I can relate to those who like me loved the character but be grateful we saw more of him in a playable sense.

Scystab
11-25-2011, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Sarari:

I feel that Ubisoft failed in giving Altair a good back story and that they didn't even care to give him one. They seem to look up to Ezio as the main story's character.

Far from it! Altair has a very detailed backstory, spanding from his youth when his father died and joined the training of the assassin's, up to his very last stand.

But it's all in the book ("The Secret Crusade: The untold story of Altair - the Master Assassin"), not in the game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

zhengyingli
11-25-2011, 04:49 AM
I feel that the hype is partially responsible for making ACR slightly worse than it is. I am just now reading through all the pre-release interviews/panels right now. All the promises Amancio and crew gave stink of commands from the higher ups.....and all the info I went into this game was that it's another Ezio-centric game.

When I saw Altair on the cover while pre-ordering, I was a bit surprised and wondered what kind of role he'll have in the game.

After finishing the game, it was Altair's philosophical approach to the Assassin's Order that caused Ezio to be at peace at what happened with his life. The five seals did just that, with the bonus of leaving Jupiter's message across generations. Anything more than that would've made the game's narrative goal shrouded in ambiguity, and worse, cluttered. On top of that, major send-offs for not only Ezio, but also Altair in an Ezio-centric game is already a bonus in and of itself. And they were all playable? Even better.

AU7thGear
11-25-2011, 05:12 AM
Yeah I definitely agree that his missions were cut short. I'm so glad I read "The Secret Crusade" before I played ACR as the book described the events so much better. Seriously it is a must read for any fans! There were some fairly graphic and gripping scenes in the book that were not captured correctly in the game. Specifically *SPOILERS* <span class="ev_code_WHITE">Maria's death and Abbas' death.</span>

dxsxhxcx
11-25-2011, 05:34 AM
you should put a spoiler tag in the title of thread...

my expectations were high for Altair and Desmond' sequences, it's a shame that according to some comments (and videos on youtube) they aren't very good or long enough... =/

ProdiGurl
11-25-2011, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by YHHTQ:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: IMO, they served their purpose, which was to establish a connection with Alta´r, the man behind the legend, nothing more. When it comes to gameplay, there's no difference at ALL if you're playing either with Ezio or Alta´r.

Truth be told, I wouldn't mind at all if his sequences were just a bit longer but the story was there, the connection was there and I loved every single bit of it; The one where Alta´r kills Abbas and the last one in the Library were godlike.

I agree with this - and I've never played AC1 yet.
The point in my view about Altair is that this is Ezio's view of who he was as he's seeing the images on those 5 keys (or disks).

I enjoyed the insightful commentary from Ezio after he 'relived' Altair's actions. I think it was just meant as an overview of Altair - not to focus on Altair as a Character.

I thought the missions were long enough, esp. the last one when he's really old & could only walk around slowly.
I just don't like seeing AC heroes getting old :/

Bipolar Matt
11-25-2011, 07:39 AM
Just so you know, Prodigurl. Going back and playing AC1 after playing the Ezio trilogy will be...different. Not saying it's good or bad, just different. You might find yourself trying to pull off some gameplay moves that just aren't there.

It is definitely worth going back and playing, however.

ProdiGurl
11-25-2011, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by BipolarMatt:
Just so you know, Prodigurl. Going back and playing AC1 after playing the Ezio trilogy will be...different. Not saying it's good or bad, just different. You might find yourself trying to pull off some gameplay moves that just aren't there.

It is definitely worth going back and playing, however.

I do plan to play it eventually and I think you're right about this.
Once you've had all the bells & whistles, it might be strange to go to the original.
Plus, there are so many other games I still want & can't afford right now, AC1 isn't on the top of my list at the moment. I'm saving to get the newer games that have come out the past few mos.) I can't afford my hobby lol

It's a bit of a story as to why I got into the AC series so late (when ACB had been out about 4 months already) but I do wish I had started w/ AC1 & 2 like everyone else to get the whole picture & experience.

RzaRecta357
11-25-2011, 08:04 AM
If you have any grain of intellect which it seems you do. You'll enjoy AC1. The story and atmosphere are amazing in that game.

People complain because the side missions if you'd call them that are all alike.

But if you pay attention to the story none of this matters.

I still think it's got the best story out of all the games. I just like the time and the way they talk better.

PhiIs1618033
11-25-2011, 02:51 PM
I agree with OP. Alta´r missions were rather tacked on.

Animuses
11-25-2011, 10:13 PM
Abbas was pathetic, he almost ruined it for me. What I didn't like besides Abbas was the huge age skip and no Malik. He was mentioned once...

They may have continued his story, but they didn't give what the fans wanted imo.

AssassinTrio
11-25-2011, 10:36 PM
See, what I don't get is why did Altair want to record his memories of pointless stuff like Maria's death and him burning Al Mualim. It was great seeing those, but I still don't get how that is supposed to help anyone.

And I hated the huge gaps between his life. This is Altair we're talking about. I'm fairly disappointed about how short the missions are.

And I agree with Recta. AC1 was the best game in all aspects of the game.....besides maybe the fighting and graphics but you know, things change. AC1 is like an original and vintage game to me. It's at the top of my list of fav AC games but ACR might beat it, for I haven't finished it.

Serrachio
11-26-2011, 02:36 AM
I feel that there was a lack of expansion of what Altair did when he departed to take on Ghengis Khan.

To be fair, it has the potential to be expanded into a whole game, like Brotherhood was. It could be picked up by Ubisoft later on, or by an independant group provided they have Ubisoft's backing and support.

It could do him some justice as the wise character he was portrayed to be.

LightRey
11-26-2011, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by Serrachio:
I feel that there was a lack of expansion of what Altair did when he departed to take on Ghengis Khan.

To be fair, it has the potential to be expanded into a whole game, like Brotherhood was. It could be picked up by Ubisoft later on, or by an independant group provided they have Ubisoft's backing and support.

But wasn't the whole Genghis Khan thing mostly carried out by Darim and Assassins there? Wasn't Alta´r there to observe mostly?

dxsxhxcx
11-26-2011, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by LightRey:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Serrachio:

But wasn't the whole Genghis Khan thing mostly carried out by Darim and Assassins there? Wasn't Alta´r there to observe mostly? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well, I bet when Darim and that other legendary assassin killed Genghis Khan, Altair was with them, so we would be able to see it happening and he (Altair) participated enough to be injuried in a battle, it would be cool to see that memory... they could make a few missions for Altair (imagine Altair and Darim working and fighting together to get information) before the assassination and then in the end we just see Darim and the legendary assassin in action...

but I understand why they didn't do this memory, it would take time to create a new setting (part of it), different enemies, etc, but I hope they consider do it as a DLC now that they have more time at their disposal..

[SPOILERS - THE SECRET CRUSADE]

another cool memory would be Altair saving that merchant when he returns to Masyaf

EDIT: and there's nothing stopping them to make a seal where Darim recorded that memory if that's the case ([SPOILER ACR]<span class="ev_code_WHITE">if I'm not wrong in one of our assassins mission they said that they found more seals in Alexandria, here it's the perfect excuse for DLC</span> )

AnthonyA85
11-26-2011, 07:42 AM
i agree with some of the posts here, the sequences (or some of them) showed, IMO, the wrong thing, we should have seen Altair fabricating his armor, testing it, then realizing how dangerous it would be if it fell into the wrong hands, we should have seen im making the gun.

at the very least we should have seen Malik, i really liked him.

AssassinTrio
11-26-2011, 08:22 AM
They didn't seem to care to much about Altair missions. They weren't really in-depth with the ones they showed either. Like how Maria died was nothing like how she died in the book. It was far more gory.

I've only played 3 of his memories so far, and my least favorite is the third one with Darim. It was just horrible.

kudos17
11-26-2011, 09:00 AM
I was disappointed with the Altair segments as well. I mean... those took MAYBE fifteen minutes each tops... And even then, the content isn't that great. It certainly brings enough closure to me, but I still feel they didn't flesh them out enough to do Altair the justice he deserves (he's my favorite assassin of the series... it doesn't feel fair that he gets one game and a few missions, while Ezio gets three freakin' games! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif)

The Desmond sequences were far less disappointing, in fact they were rather interesting. Quite unique, also. Even then, they were still sort of a letdown, but that's only because I expected a full-on replay of his life, not merely a few puzzles with him narrating. But meh.

I've said this a lot, but to me AC:R was overall disappointing in everything but multiplayer. Multiplayer should not be the standout in an Assassin' Creed game, especially when I adored the other three.

That said, most of my squabbles are from misguided expectations (expected Altair sequences to be almost like full Ezio levels, expected Desmond sequences to be playable as an actual body of Desmond, expected there to be interesting side-missions instead of lame random events, etc.) What are ya gonna do? :/

AssassinTrio
11-26-2011, 09:07 AM
I also think it's unfair for Altair. When AC2 came out, people liked him more because he was more of a person than Altair. Then Ubisoft said hey, why don't we stick with this guy until his story is completely over. The only reason they brought up Altair in Revelations was because they didn't want Altair fans to stop buying the AC games.

It makes me mad that they couldn't at least made a second game for Altair and improved all the problems he had in AC1. But I thought AC1 was great. I don't know why people hated it so much.

Smegger_56
11-26-2011, 07:31 PM
No. IMO, they rushed through the ending with Desmond. Like Brotherhood, they should have taken their time with it.

iN3krO
11-26-2011, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by kudos17:
I was disappointed with the Altair segments as well. I mean... those took MAYBE fifteen minutes each tops... And even then, the content isn't that great. It certainly brings enough closure to me, but I still feel they didn't flesh them out enough to do Altair the justice he deserves (he's my favorite assassin of the series... it doesn't feel fair that he gets one game and a few missions, while Ezio gets three freakin' games! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif)

The Desmond sequences were far less disappointing, in fact they were rather interesting. Quite unique, also. Even then, they were still sort of a letdown, but that's only because I expected a full-on replay of his life, not merely a few puzzles with him narrating. But meh.

I've said this a lot, but to me AC:R was overall disappointing in everything but multiplayer. Multiplayer should not be the standout in an Assassin' Creed game, especially when I adored the other three.

For me AcR was better then AcB and as good as Ac1 and Ac2...

Originally posted by AssassinTrio:
I also think it's unfair for Altair. When AC2 came out, people liked him more because he was more of a person than Altair. Then Ubisoft said hey, why don't we stick with this guy until his story is completely over. The only reason they brought up Altair in Revelations was because they didn't want Altair fans to stop buying the AC games.

It makes me mad that they couldn't at least made a second game for Altair and improved all the problems he had in AC1. But I thought AC1 was great. I don't know why people hated it so much.

cuz combat was time consuming and cuz investigations were repetitive...

they couldn't find the good things of the game with those flaws... stupid ppl in my opinion :X

Originally posted by Smegger_56:
No. IMO, they rushed through the ending with Desmond. Like Brotherhood, they should have taken their time with it.

Disagree... i love what they did... they want us to f*ck our minds until Ac3 is released... JUST LOVE IT..

Altair's missions are not short, the problem is that they are just 6 -.-' each mission had the correct time, sadly ubisoft skiped intersting memories (The Secret Crusade include them) cuz they didn't want to put ezio looking for even more seals...

Said that, i hope multiplayer is not back in Ac3... it's just making the singleplayer not worth my money... Ac1 and Ac2 took me 1 week each to do the main story.... AcB and AcR took 2 days each -.-'' this is ridiculous :X

Il_Divo
11-26-2011, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Croson-5:

That's the thing. He served his purpose, and that's it. They turned Altair into a plot device, when he should have had more time to be the character Altair fans loved. This was a great opportunity to bring back Altair, and the crusades.

I mean, what they had of Altair was cool, but c'mon. There could have been more. Not to mention no Malik, no Freeroam, No Armor of Altair, No Short Blade, and oh yeah, a 40 year gap of his life.

I have to agree with this. In going back to Altair's time period, I wasn't simply looking to play as Altair; I wanted to witness some of the key events we were told about in AC2.I wanted to see Malik, watch Altair lead the order, etc.

The Abbas side plot was interesting, but I think they should have showed Altair's addiction to the apple, rather than telling us about it. I was also hoping that the Altair sequences would in effect be smaller/shorter versions of Ezio's sequences in Constantinople, to recreate that feeling that we are playing Altair in his "assassin mode".

RzaRecta357
11-26-2011, 09:32 PM
The point of Ezio seeing the seals wasn't so he could see him make armor then think about the armor. Give me a break.

He had to see the hardships of running the order. Which they covered perfect.

Did no one pay attention to what Ezio says after doing the seal?

Animuses
11-26-2011, 09:43 PM
Yeah, but it wasn't exactly what we wanted.

The more time goes by, the less satisfied I am with the Altair segments.

I enjoy reading the codex pages more than playing the Altair missions in ACR, and I don't like reading.

Il_Divo
11-26-2011, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by RzaRecta357:
The point of Ezio seeing the seals wasn't so he could see him make armor then think about the armor. Give me a break.

I understood it perfectly. But I also understood that Ubisoft wanted to allow us to take up the mantle of Altair once more, as an assassin. Seeing as this was an opportunity to return to this character, I wanted to see his most glorious moments in action, as well as his hardships, which could include forging his armor, the three ironies of the Creed, etc.

Ultimately, I wanted to see more than just his conflicts with Abbas, which are the main focus of three of his key memories.

AssassinTrio
11-26-2011, 10:17 PM
The only mission that was really fun with Altair was the first one, and the very last one where he dies. It makes me feel like he died very peacefully.

How do I get the cheat for his normal skin? And how do I unlock his grandmaster robes????

Randy 355
11-26-2011, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by RzaRecta357:

Yeah, but again, Ubisoft conformed the Altair parts to make sense for Ezio seeing them. They could have (and should have) gone with a different approach. Maybe they could have had it so while you were playing as Ezio and was in an area Altair once was, Desmond's screwed up mind would cause the Animus to be confused if you were reliving Altair or Ezio, initiating long Altair Sequences. Just, something like that. It could have made it more fluid with Altair, and we could have seen parts that were less vital to the 2012 storyline, but more interesting as just Altair memories.