PDA

View Full Version : IL2 Help

Maxxedmagic
07-31-2008, 11:26 AM
Hey.

Im new to IL2 and combat sims really. Now, Im flying on full realistic settings atm but whenever I leave my stick in the center my plane always wants to turn left. I have checked all the settings and everything seems normal and I have used my stick in other games such as BF2. Is this down to the physics of the game such as the torque? If so, is there a way I can counter it or do I just have to fly with my stick to the right to level it out?

Thanks

Stingray333
07-31-2008, 11:38 AM
Yo, this is probably due to trim, and it is an added realism of Il-2 that real pilots had to deal with. Trim allows you to fine tune your flight surfaces so that you can make sure you are flying perfectly straight and level.

elevator trim controls your drift up or down, aileron trim controls your roll, and rudder trim controls your yaw. Look at the controls options to see how they are assigned to the keyboard. If you have a nice joystick with a throttle or slider to spare, I'd suggest mapping the elevator trim to your joystick in the HOTAS section so you can always control it quickly in flight.

The bad news is that not all planes have trim. Almost all have elevator trim, but it varies from plane-to-plane if they have aileron or rudder trim.

Planes that don't have rudder or aileron trim were usually designed to be "neutral" at cruising speeds, so if you are above or below these speeds, your plane will roll and yaw a little bit, and you'll have to correct it a bit.

So you are always changing your trim, depending on your climb/descent rate, your airspeed, etc.

Google for "trim" or search this forums a bit for more info, good luck,

Stingray

FoolTrottel
07-31-2008, 11:43 AM
Is this down to the physics of the game such as the torque? Yes.

is there a way I can counter it Yes.
The answer is: Trim.
- Aileron Trim is available is most aircraft in IL2.
- Rudder Trim in a lot, but not all.

Most aircraft will straighten out at cruise speed / cruise power setting.
At or about 60-70% power.
That's the way they were designed: less work for the pilot when cruising...

Read this: The 4.0x flight model...some hints & tips (By Tully) (http://forums.ubi.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/5111047273/r/5111047273#5111047273)

Have Fun!

Sillius_Sodus
08-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Welcome Maxxedmagic,

I'm not sure which a/c you are flying, but the Hurricane and Spitfire do not have aileron trim so you always have to hold a little aileron when flying.

Xiolablu3
08-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Trim.