PDA

View Full Version : Unable to lift off

ZL2BMH
02-01-2007, 05:52 PM
Thank you for reading this. Could someone please help me takeoff from a carrier. I have the engines running on full (wep, cleared any chocks, used the b key for unbraking, unlocked the tail wheel and the plane just sits there. Not even the hint of forward movement.

What am I doing wrong.
regards
Zealander.

FritzGryphon
02-01-2007, 05:55 PM
Now, you're sure you've released chocks?

That's the only thing that will hold you perfectly still.

Zeus-cat
02-01-2007, 08:45 PM
The brake key only applies the brakes, it doesn't release them.

Do NOT use autopilot while trying to takeoff, it does weird things if you turn it on and them turn it off while sitting on the ground (or carrier).

Did you get a "Chocks Released" message when you cleared the chocks? I'm with FritzGryphon, it sounds like the chocks are still in place.

x6BL_Brando
02-02-2007, 06:01 AM
I'm for chocks not released.

Also, there seems to be a mis-understanding about the use of the tail-wheel lock. Its function is to keep the tailwheel locked straight in line with the fuselage. In other words, if taxiing in a tail-dragger then the t-w-l forces the plane to run straight. The lock is released to allow turning while taxiing.

For any take-off it is best to apply the lock. This wil keep the plane running straight along the track, until the tail comes up , when any tendency to yaw off-line is controlled entirely by the rudder. Note that the rudder surface doesn't have much 'authority' until speed has increased sufficiently - hence the need for the tail-wheel lock.

As far as the t/o snafu......make sure you have 'bound' a key for chocks. When you spawn on the deck the ritual is, open the canopy, unfold the wings, set take-off flap position, lock tailwheel, start engine. Chocks are already applied by default. Set all trims to neutral - then add in a couple of taps of pitch up. Some people add rudder (yaw) trim too, but I don't. Pre-trimming is an option you can decide on once you've done a few t/o's. It's not vital.

OK, so you're sat waiting, engine at idle. There is an option to raise the seat in some of the carrier-borne a/c - this gives a view over the nose but can only work if the canopy is open. It's another control that need a keypress binding to be made by the user, there is no default command. Take a couple deep breaths (also optional) and bring the engine slowly up to full power when its your turn to take off. Keep your hand or foot away from the brake control, you won't need them, and press the chock control. Chocks away (!) and your plane will leap forward along the deck. The tailwheel lock will keep you straight in this initial phase, but the tail will lift quite soon and you'll need to be fluent with your rudder to keep the plane on course for the brow of the deck. Be very gentle with any stick movements - and never try to use ailerons to correct direction - use only rudder. You can use gentle back pressure to lift off - but don't try hauling back on the stick to effect lift off. Carrier decks are too short a run-out to allow the kind of terminal speed needed for steep climb-outs.

Anyway, it's enough if you fly horizontal off the deck-end - you just need to be sharp about retracting your landing gear and closing your canopy - and the lessened drag will give you the extra speed to enable ascent. If you're in the high seat position then closing the canopy also lowers the seat at the same time. As your airspeed rises and you srart to climb then you can retract to combat flaps once the gear is fully up, and clean up as you start to rise. Only start adjusting trim settings once the wing is clean.

Obviously this all depends on aircraft & bombload, weather, length of carrier deck, and strength of wind over the bow of the ship. The key to it all is 'no wild inputs'. And plenty of practice!

Have fun

B.

SS_Bubblehead
02-02-2007, 05:35 PM
One more thing to be aware of ZL2BMH, when you use external view (F2) even with chocks in place you will not see a graphic of them, but they are there. They Gotta be disengaged and then you should get a message as such.

-HH-Quazi
02-02-2007, 05:58 PM
Check your prop pitch settings also.

ZL2BMH
02-02-2007, 07:22 PM
To those of you who replied to my post, I am sure I say this on behalf of all new-comers( us wrinkles inparticular) , thanks a million for your help is greatly appreciated believe me.
ZL2BMH (Zealander).