PDA

View Full Version : WWII Facts #1: How fast a ship can sink.

TASKFORCE1x1
10-19-2004, 03:59 PM
Yes Yes I know this has been mentioned before but now I have some written proof of how fast a ship can sink or how long it could take. Here is one for anyone who would want to know.

A wolfpack back in 1939, I think October time in the atlantic, Thalia @ 7000 tons was hit by one torpedo and it sunk in 40 seconds. (page 95)
Many ships would carry one type of cargo like 5 ton ingots or a "balloon freight" of something boyant like Pine or timber.
Sink time was mentioned in the book "The Battle Of The Atlantic"

Many of the other books would mention about ships sinking in a matter of hours or days. This is mostly because of cargo type and weather or not the keel were broken which most certainly would split a ship in two.

HeibgesU999
10-19-2004, 04:48 PM
Doenitz has an exerpt from Kretchmer's KTB in his memoirs, and OK torpedoes three ships in this one convoy attack and they all sink in under a minute.

TASKFORCE1x1
10-19-2004, 08:27 PM
Something I could never understand is why they must "put all their eggs in one basket" of one type of export product like Flour,Timber,Iron ingots. Meanwhile England starved more and more as rations received got tighter and tighter. Soon their government asked each family to "dig for victory" same as in america like the famous "Victory Garden" the government also gave cooking tips on what to make with certain foods like potatoes,flour, etc.

Back in 1939 times were so bad with the food shortage that when there was a bombing raid places like slaughter farms if hit by bombs, women were running out in middle of the night scooping up running fat that seemed to stream from the building. (thats sad) I feel bad for them.

U-553
10-19-2004, 11:50 PM
I've read the book "U333" by Peter Cremer that he shot a tanker,and it that was away, 20 seconds after it was hit!!!

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif Big explosion!

server1a
10-20-2004, 04:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TASKFORCE1x1:
Something I could never understand is why they must "put all their eggs in one basket" of one type of export product like Flour,Timber,Iron ingots. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Time was a factor! It's far easier to stow away an entire ship full of a specific product rather than putting a little bit of everything in each ship. Besides a single convoy would usually have every single possible export in it.

If there were 50 ships, I bet 5 would have oil, 5 munitions, 5 medical supplies, 5 flour, 5 rations, 5 meat. . . etc. . .

Not saying that all ships had only one type of cargo.

E.Thang
10-20-2004, 07:19 AM
Cargo ships and freighters obviously would sink faster than capital ships (Battleships/Cruisers est.) Cargo ships and freighters aren't compartmentized like a warship.

Drebbel
10-20-2004, 09:58 AM
From the subsim SHIII impression at the " German Games Convention" last August: http://www.subsim.com/ssr/sh3/review_sh3_aug04.htm

"..The buoyancy of the cargo does not influence the sinking model of the target. So a ship loaded with timber will sink as fast as a ship loaded with steel. Florin said that it is 'do-able' to change this but at the moment they are all working very hard on the Dynamic Campaign..."

Philipscdrw
10-20-2004, 04:51 PM
Lets hope for SH3.01!

TASKFORCE1x1
10-20-2004, 08:34 PM
I agree. Hope its added http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif