PDA

View Full Version : Can you skip conversations in AC2?(Rent or Buy for me, seriously)

Teeem3000
09-09-2009, 07:06 PM
I won't play AC any more, even though I love the gameplay. I can't stand listening to that long-winded idiotic dialogue anymore. Don't get me wrong, I used to like the storyline, and it was entertaining the first time. I would have never thought it would be long-winded or idiotic except for the fact that I've been forced to listen to it over 20 times, and familiarity breeds contempt. I don't want to switch to the TV for 10 to 15 minutes or go make a meal, or whatever each time I want to run around and assassinate people, I want to press start and then run around and assassinate people. I can't even count anymore, how many times I've shown my buddies the game, talked it up, sworn it was the coolest game ever, with awesome animation and excellent combat. Before the conversations have even ended, they've begged me to shut it off and put in a game that we can actually play when we want to. As you can see, it's pretty much ruined the game for me.

I'm think I'm pretty safe in assuming it was a conscious decision by the developers not to allow us to skip the scenes, and not some oversight. Whether it was because they thought that the voice acting, character animation, or graphics engine were amazing, it doesn't matter. It was a stupid decision. Come on Ubisoft, you should know better. It's almost like they did it just because they thought it was superior.

I've searched the forum for the answer to this question and I can't find one. It was asked in the Q&A session but never answered. As I've said before, it's pretty much the only reason why I don't play the game anymore. If they continue on without giving you the option to skip the story at least the second time through, I won't buy AC2. I'll rent it, play it, beat it, and I'll enjoy it, but never, ever buy it.

It's no brainer, and I bet that there are a lot of gamers who feel like me. I figure this question should be answered by an Ubisoft employee because it was asking in the Q&A with Ubisoft post but wasn't answered. So Ubisoft, what'll it be?

PS AC2 looks awesome, and I can't wait for it to come out. I hope Ubisoft continues to develop great games, but let us decide if we want to listen to your stories or just start playing your games.

Ragnar789
09-09-2009, 07:14 PM
That annoys me to but i always thought it was worth the wait

thekyle0
09-09-2009, 07:16 PM
Welcome to the forums. This has been brought up many times. Please use the search button before starting threads.

SWJS
09-09-2009, 07:23 PM
Patience is a virtue. Most often, the best things come after you wait. Your meal at Burger King comes after you order it and wait for it to cook properly, so that when you get it, it is warm and fresh.

AC1 is virtually the same way. Sample the story and then get to the best part. Gameplay.

The thing that bothered me was not being able to walk on a horse without being automatically spotted, and being forced to travel at said pace through the kingdom 3 times. Gladly for me, that has been corrected in AC2, and I'm quite pleased with the game. AC2 has pretty much met all my expectations and more.

But yes, the cutscenes do grow longwinded over time, and while it would be great to skip them, it's not a game-breaking error, and it certainly shouldn't be a reason not to buy the game.

I'm glad I buy the games I like to play, because I can play them whenever I get the urge, without having to spend money to rent it, or having to buy it again.

Teeem3000
09-09-2009, 08:18 PM
I did use the search engine, and I couldn't findt the answer to the question, even though it was asked at the Ubisoft Q&A. That's why I asked the question. Thanks for the timely replies though. I agree that patience is a virtue, and the story was great, but it is a game-breaker for me, because I stopped playing the game because of it. I'm not trying to nitpick, but I found it that annoying. I guess it doesn't matter because I bought the game anyways, right.
I like owning the games I love to play too, exactly for the reasons you stated. I just want to be able to play them when I want to play them, or listen when I want to listen. Not be forced to listen when I want to play. I DEMAND you tell me if I can skip the story. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Psychopompador
09-09-2009, 11:02 PM
my favorite part is the irony in how long it took you to say you didnt like the long dialogues and want a skip function in AC2

the amolang
09-09-2009, 11:09 PM
i personally think that they should not let you skip the cutscenes during the first playthrough but afterwards they should definitely allow you to skip them....

oh and btw, please search next time... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ...seriously

phimo123-FR
09-09-2009, 11:12 PM
I didn't read your message (lol!), but I have to admit that in AC1, there was no point giving the player the possibility to <b>replay</b> chapters if he HAD to watch all the cut-scenes again without being able to skip them. Seriously, some of these cut-scenes were at least three minutes long... Anyway... I hope we will be able to skip the dialogue at least for our second playthrough.

Losk_
09-09-2009, 11:18 PM
I can answer your question.
They haven't given the specifics for how it is going to work, but they are addressing that problem.

In one of his E3 interviews, Patrice basically said the same thing as you. He went back and found it hard to replay the game, and they are fixing this in AC2.

Teeem3000
09-09-2009, 11:29 PM
I just wanted to make a thoughtful post for my first one, instead of saying I HATE AC, STOOPID RUUXXOOR!!! I didn't want to insult anyone else's love for the game, or the talent of the developers, but at the same time put some merit towards what I was saying. Losk_, thanks for the info. Chances are they'll do it a bit different, if the lead dev was a bit annoyed with it too.
@Amolang, I did a search, no info about what I wanted to know. Losk_ answered my question though, so maybe another person concerned about it will search and find my post. Then they won't have to post another new thread, and you won't have to tell them to use the search engine. You should be thanking me.
@thekyle0, dude they never answered you're question. Are you not curious?
@PsychopomadorS, you didn't figure it out from the title?