PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard carrier take-offs

mf_hansen
12-12-2005, 10:48 AM
Ok, enery time I get past the threshold of the carrier runway, the plane starts rolling to one side since plane only has air under the wheels now. I compensate by pulling rudder to the opposite side.

Problem is this happens so fast that I just roll the other way and crash into the water.

Is it possible to take off without a joystick, by using the non-full rudder keys, or do I have to get a stick to take off succesfully?

I'm planning on getting an X45 sometime... Heard it was quite good, compared to its price level.

Lord_Rhah
12-12-2005, 10:52 AM
get a stick, and all your problems will be solved!

im not sure if you could take off from a carrier using trim, but i guess it should be possible. Im not a big user for trim personally (cant get my head around it, and im too lazy to bother setting it up) but im sure someone here will be able to give you a definitive answer

Zeus-cat
12-12-2005, 04:50 PM
Playing this game without a joystick is like going to Kansas to mountain climb.

Zeus-cat

Duncan_Doenitz
12-12-2005, 09:38 PM
Yeah. You don't have to go to Kansas to get high.

Buy the stick.

Dunc

"I suppose I better get my boss something for Christmas. I'm thinking 12" wide toilet paper."

mf_hansen
12-13-2005, 03:22 PM
hehe, I sort of figured this would be the answer.

I have an old Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital something...

But it has some severe problems with its auto-centering or deadzone or whatever it is called. Plane just does a clockwise barrel roll when I let go of the stick :P

thanks for the quick replies, this community = gold

Waldo.Pepper
12-13-2005, 09:14 PM
mf_hansen

If you post a video (not a track but a video showing you and the monitor!) of you taking off from a carrier with your keyboard I will give you a spare stick I have kicking around!

Riggsie15
12-17-2005, 09:47 PM
I have been useing a keyboard since the game has came out, though i have only played little of the game (that is soon to change). I have no problems with the keyboard in normal flight that includes both takeoff and landings on both carrier and sea. I can dogfight with the keyboard but without the smoothness of the stick i miss some good fireing opperturnities. It is more difficult to fly highly manoverble planes with the keyboard than the stick. I have finally stoped useing a keyboard and will purchase a stick. So it is quite easy to fly with the keyboard but it is also very frustrating.

Tully__
12-17-2005, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Riggsie15:
I have been useing a keyboard since the game has came out, though i have only played little of the game (that is soon to change). I have no problems with the keyboard in normal flight that includes both takeoff and landings on both carrier and sea. I can dogfight with the keyboard but without the smoothness of the stick i miss some good fireing opperturnities. It is more difficult to fly highly manoverble planes with the keyboard than the stick. I have finally stoped useing a keyboard and will purchase a stick. So it is quite easy to fly with the keyboard but it is also very frustrating.
It is possible to fly with keyboard and may seem easy after you've been doing it for some time, but after you've learnt to fly with a stick I doubt you'll continue to claim it's easy with keyboard http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

RS.Wedge
12-18-2005, 12:37 PM
These are the steps I take to take off of a CV:

1. Start engine.
2. Flaps all the way down (landing position).
3. Full Throttle.
4. Remove Chocks.
5. Use rudder to keep the nose down the middle of the flight deck.
6. wait until the last possible moment to pull the nose of the plane up while leaving the flight deck.
7. As soon as I am airborne I raise the gear.
8. Raise the flaps as soon as I have enough Alt.

bogusheadbox
12-19-2005, 06:39 AM
And here is mine.

1. Chocks out.
2. Chocks back in. (plane drops to carrier deck)
3. Max power.
4. 3/4 elevator trim up.
5. chock out.
6. When passing tower, dump flaps.
7. Very small pull back on stick just before end of ramp
8. When exiting ramp, apply rudder to counter roll.
9. Gear up as soon as possible
10. alow the plane to drop a bit but do not climb until sufficient air speed gained.
11. Raise flaps in incriments as speed increases.

RS.Wedge
12-19-2005, 09:31 AM
Quote from Bogusheadbox:

And here is mine.

1. Chocks out.
2. Chocks back in. (plane drops to carrier deck)
3. Max power.
4. 3/4 elevator trim up.
5. chock out.
6. When passing tower, dump flaps.
7. Very small pull back on stick just before end of ramp
8. When exiting ramp, apply rudder to counter roll.
9. Gear up as soon as possible
10. alow the plane to drop a bit but do not climb until sufficient air speed gained.
11. Raise flaps in incriments as speed increases.

Much better take off protocol. I will be using the above steps in the future.

bogusheadbox
12-19-2005, 09:42 AM
Forgot one very very important thing.

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING>>>>>>>

LOCK THE TAIL WHEEL !!

sorry !

Kuna15
12-19-2005, 11:35 AM
I didn't checked but it is quite possible that you wont be able to take off with some planes succesfully. Especially if they are loaded with bombs.

Rattler68
12-19-2005, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by mf_hansen:
hehe, I sort of figured this would be the answer.

I have an old Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital something...

But it has some severe problems with its auto-centering or deadzone or whatever it is called. Plane just does a clockwise barrel roll when I let go of the stick :P

thanks for the quick replies, this community = gold
That's the same stick that I have, and it gives me no problems. Looks like you need the X 45.

bogusheadbox
12-19-2005, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Kuna15:
I didn't checked but it is quite possible that you wont be able to take off with some planes succesfully. Especially if they are loaded with bombs.

Quite true. You have to be careful on what load out you have. If the carrier is stationary, you can only carry a small bomb load and not more than 50 fuel. (depending on load out of course).

IF the carrier is moving quickly, you will have no problems taking off with a much larger payload. (also landing is far easier on a moving carrier)

Its a case of common sense and trial and error. Don't load your buggy up on take off unless you like petting the fish.