PDA

View Full Version : Tough Ju-87Ds?

drose01
02-26-2005, 08:32 AM
Anyone play offline trying to bring down a group of Ju87Ds? (at Ace AI)

I made a quick game attacking four stukas in a Yak 3 over Lvov and those stukas put up a blistering defense. The only safe way to attack that I found is to dive low and then climb to deliver a burst into their bellies.

The stukas seem to me a tougher nut to crack than the same scenario using Ju88s, He111s, B110s. Does anyone else agree?

tigertalon
02-26-2005, 10:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drose01:

I made a quick game attacking four stukas in a Yak 3 over Lvov and those stukas put up a blistering defense. The only safe way to attack that I found is to dive low and then climb to deliver a burst into their bellies.

The stukas seem to me a tougher nut to crack than the same scenario using Ju88s, He111s, B110s. Does anyone else agree? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi,

haven't checked in the last version of the game, but in 2.04 you could set them on fire really easily by aiming at their wingroot. Coming close from below, when he can't hit you, you pull up hardly, pop up directly behind his tail as close as possible (if you are directly behind his tail he will not shoot you - looks like he is too dumb to aim wings http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif, and aim for the wingroots. Many times only MGs will be enough.)

rcocean
02-26-2005, 10:34 AM
I've found the same thing. And trying to shoot them from below is tough when you're alone and there are four of them. The other get you in a cross-fire when you go in low.

They seem to absorb a lot .50 cal machine gun bullets

Jumoschwanz
02-26-2005, 11:54 AM
Ulrich Rudel's book Stuka Pilot is a must read, it is amazing. He did things in a Stuka you can hardly believe, but it is true. I think he got 734 tanks to his credit roughly? And he shot down planes with the Stuka, including some Il2 sturmoviks with the big 37mm tank guns!

Jumoschwanz

StG77_Fritz_X
02-26-2005, 12:23 PM
A Ju-87 can withstand an amount of punishment that would have brought many fighters down easily.

When low speed is turned into an advantage the 87 is a hard nut to crack.

I'dd fly one anyday over a 109 or 190. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://www.beuliland.com/html/varios/fabricantes/Constructores/JUNKERS.GIF

VW-IceFire
02-26-2005, 04:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drose01:

The stukas seem to me a tougher nut to crack than the same scenario using Ju88s, He111s, B110s. Does anyone else agree? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Aim for the wingroots...or between the wingroots and the bend in the wing. Fuel tanks there...lights on fire.

Rest of the plane is pretty tough. The tail section in particular.

BerkshireHunt
02-26-2005, 05:18 PM
Ju 87D series was a heavily-armoured version of the 'Stuka' specially designed for low-level ground attack missions on the eastern front- hence the 20mmm cannons in the wings. It did not have dive brakes because it was intended for strafing/low-level bombing of Russian infantry and vehicles. From 1943 onward the Ju87 was never used for dive bombing attacks- that sort of mission had become too dangerous for such a slow machine.
So, if it's modelled correctly in the game it should indeed be resistant to machine gun attack.
Re Rudel- since the Germans were retreating for most of his career as a Stuka pilot it's hard to see how his enormous tank kill claims could ever have been verified. We know from western Allied experience how easy it was to assume a tank had been destroyed when smoke was given off- but subsequent examination of the battlefield proved that most 'victories' were illusory. Take Rudel's with a pinch of salt- or fly the Ju87D5 in game. Do you think you could get 700 tank kills in this thing?

Foxtrot-Hotel
02-26-2005, 05:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jumoschwanz:
Ulrich Rudel's book Stuka Pilot is a must read, it is amazing. He did things in a Stuka you can hardly believe, but it is true. I think he got 734 tanks to his credit roughly? And he shot down planes with the Stuka, including some Il2 sturmoviks with the big 37mm tank guns!

Jumoschwanz <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I know he had 9 kills(7 fighters,and 2 IL2's) always thought the kills where achived when flying FW190d-9...you read the book? did he really shoot them down with the stuka?? but he "only" killed 519 tanks