PDA

View Full Version : Saitek X45

kuebelwagen
02-28-2005, 02:53 PM
Hello. I just purchased a Saitek X45. Can anyone tell Me some of Your set ups (which button You have doing what). Thanks in advance. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bearcat99
02-28-2005, 06:50 PM
I have the orange rubber encased button for mouse pan. The little black button is SHIFT/CTRL/ALT in modes 1,2 & 3. The thunb rotary is elevator trim... finger one is aileron trim.... rudder trim is on the twist handle of my MSFFB2... ruddr rocker on the X-45 is for flaps.... the X-45 stick I use as a button bay... I fly with my MSFFB2.

DDastardlySID
02-28-2005, 07:44 PM
Hi Bearcat,
I'm using a similar setup to you (X45 throttle and MSFFB Pro -I didn't like the rudder control on the throttle) and I was wondering if you've had any luck getting the force feedback on the stick to work when the throttle is connected. I get a slight shudder on the stick when I first fire my weapons, but after that nothing. BTW I have the gameport version of the joystick and a USB X45).
Cheers,
DickDastardly

PS kuebelwagon - As I said, I only use the throttle of the X45, but I have elevator trim on the thumb dial, prop pitch on the top dial, and flaps and radiator on the hat switch. (I use the throttle dial on my MSFFB Pro as rudder trim and the twist motion on the stick for rudder control)

In mode 1 (my takeoff/landing mode) the throttle mouse hat gives me toggle left/right engines, toggle all engines, and select all engines; the D fire button gives me engine on/off; and the mouse click button is fire extinguisher. Aux 0 is feather prop, Aux 1 is blank, and Aux 2 is gear up/down. The left hand side of the rudder rocker locks tail wheel and the right hand side is wheel brakes.

In mode 2 (general flight) I have the mouse hat as padlock enemy air/ground and external/chase plane view; the D fire button as boost WEP; and the mouse click as autopilot. I have the left hand side of the rudder rocker as airbrakes and the right hand side as map.

Bearcat99
02-28-2005, 09:18 PM
My MSFFB is a USB stick and I dont use the gun forces.. I never really liked them I like the FFB for the flight part of simming. I use CH pedals fro rudder and the rudder rocker is a banded switch for my flaps. I would talk to Tullt the joystick man if I were you.... or hit the Essentials link in my sig and go to The Stickworks...

kSetuni
03-01-2005, 01:04 AM
I use mode one for air to air engaments, shift mode one to padlock friendlies, mode 2 for air to ground with shift mode 2 friendlies, mode 3 for high altitude bombing and landings.

Standard buttons throughout all profiles is as follows. My D key is for my PTT for voice comms programs, the mouse curor is slewing the view, the hat switch on the throttle is zoom and flaps since i use thsoe alot, thumb wheel is elevator trim, index rotary is prop pitch. Fire C is cannons and the safe button is my eject button.

I have also jsut mapped my track IR center, and off to my lower hat switch in all modes.

Hope this helps with some ideas for you. If you want me to send you the profile to look at it let me know.

S.M.

Tully__
03-01-2005, 02:10 AM
For kuebelwagon, my profile download link is under my signature picture. The file includes a readme with my assignments.

For DDastardly, click the "Joysticks..." link under my sig and read the section headed "I Added a Second Controller..." to see how conf.ini handles axis designations. The change the line:

FF=1

to FF1=1 or FF2=1 or FF3=1 as appropriate. You may also benefit from the other material.

BBloke
03-01-2005, 05:47 AM
DDastardly,

Just cant get round this one so I have to ask. Do you use an MSFFB original Gameport stick and the X45 Throttle at the same time?

I just had a thought and read somewhere that it wasnt possible.

If it is then I'm so happy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

DDastardlySID
03-01-2005, 06:06 AM
Hi Tully,
Thanks for the response - a very informative article. Unfortunately the force feedback settings you suggested didn't work for me (my FFB stick is in the ID#1 slot but I tried ff=1, ff1=1, ff2=1, ff3=1 and even ff=1/2/3 with no luck). The axis and fire buttons all work fine on both the X45 throttle and my MSFFB Pro, and the force feedback works great if I disconnect my X45, but when using the X45 throttle and MS stick combo I still only get a very weak force shudder the first time I fire each weapon after starting a mission, whilst subsequent shots generate no response at all. Does this mean I'm out of luck with the gameport stick wrt FF or are there any further tweaking possibilities you could suggest?
Cheers,
DickDastardly

PS BBloke - Yep the USB X45 throttle/gameport MSFFB Pro combo works great for me in XP (with the exception of the lack of FF).

I was pretty suprised to find it worked as I too had read that gameport joysticks don't work with USB throttles. I much prefer the mixed combo to using my X45 throttle and stick because I really didn't like using the rudder rocker on the throttle for rudder control. With the mixed combo I can use stick twist for rudders and then I have two extra axis free for other functions like Trimming or Mixture (the throttle rudder and the stick's throttle dial).

In actual fact, the X45 stick can also be used at the same time as the X45 throttle and MS stick, but this isn't a great deal of use unless you're Zaphod Beeblebrox http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. Although, come to think of it, with a bit of DIY it might be possible to use the X45 stick as the basis for some home made rudder/brake pedals whilst flying with the MS stick and X45 throttle.

BBloke
03-01-2005, 07:24 AM
Thanks DDastardly,

I will give it a go and see what kind of a config I can arrange to see if it helps me out. Its a shame about the FFB too. Just so long as there is center tension I dont think it will be too bad.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Blueyonder rocks. S~

BBloke
03-01-2005, 11:50 AM
Wow... got it configed and everything is sweet. FFB is in full working order even after taking 2 IL2's down and numerous stalls.

I'm not using onboard sound and I remember in earlier days whilst using it you could change the Gameport address in BIOS which cured a lack of FFB or inconsistent center tensions.

Good luck and thanks for making me a happy predator.. errr pilot

S~

nickdanger3
03-01-2005, 12:05 PM
Bearcat -

When you say you use the throttle rudder control for flaps, arer you using it as a button or a slider? I tried to set mine up as a slider but found it was really wierd to have it always return to 50%. Then I just gave up....

I guess what I'm really asking is what does banded switch do?

DDastardlySID
03-01-2005, 05:02 PM
Bbloke: Really glad to hear it all worked out for you, but how on earth did you get the FFB working m8? Any changes to conf.ini or the FF=1 line Tully mentioned? In what order are your controllers listed? Did you have to change the gameport address when not using onboard sound? (and if so what to?) What's your PC setup/OS like? (Sorry for the barrage of questions, but I miss my FFB so bad I've been flying with my feet resting in one of those foot spa things set to vibrate lol).

BTW I'm using an nforce2 mobo with the onboard sound disabled. My MSFFB Pro is plugged into the gameport on my Soundblaster Live and is given ID#1 by XP, my X45 is plugged into a USB and has controller ID#2.

nickdanger3: You're right - if you want to use the rudder rocker for flaps you'll have to make it banded. It's a doddle to set up though, all you need to do is split the band with two lines - one at 67% and one at 33%. Then assign your "flaps up" key to the 67-100% section and your "flaps down" key to the 0-33% section (leaving the middle section blank with no key assignment).

kuebelwagen
03-01-2005, 05:59 PM
Hello. Wow! Thanks to all that responded, some great ideas. Appreciate all Your input.

BBloke
03-02-2005, 04:09 AM
Hi DDastardly,

Here's what I did. I have no idea on what bearing it would have had on the game of configuration but it just seemed to work and continues to work.

1 Unplug X45. Reboot
2 Log in. Load up desktop. Switch off
3 Plug FFB in. Switch on. Add to game controllers and calibrate.
4 Start game and make sure FF is enable in hardware setup. Check to make sure stick is working.
5 Close game. Reboot
6 Plug X45 in (I am not using SST software)
7 Reassigned throttle stick buttons which show as Joystick ID2
8 Reassigned some FFB buttons showing as standard JoyButton XX
9 Fly and enjoy FFB.

Specs:
WIN XP Pro SP 2
DirectX 9.0c

MSI 865PE Neo2 PISFR
P4 2.4 @ 3.04 (533FSB chip)
1gb Geil performance DDR Dual channel
SBLive5.1
OcUK 9800XT 256mb

The only time I've had trouble with the stick is whilst using onboard sound. The workaround for me was to just change the gameport value from what ever it was to the next available in BIOS.

I'm pretty sure that I've never changed my gameport address for the SBLive card as I dont think its possible.

If you are using SST then I would suggest removing it if you can live without it. I dont think its a cause of anything but it maybe the one key difference.

I have a feeling that the FF you feel is the same as when the game drops to windows and you return back to it. It feels as though the ***** are moving but there's nothing coming through. I can't imagine why the X45 would stop the FFB from working though.

I've not touched my conf.ini one jot. If you wish I can send you both the conf.ini and player settings.ini file so you can try them.

I've missed the FFB stick. It just does the job better than any other. I've also missed the rudder too.. gunnery skills went down too much and people were getting away.. now I'm back to my mean normal self.

Have you check Creative to see if you have the lastest soundblaster drivers. I use to have no end of troubles with them just try to figure out which one to use but the autoupdate program is great.

Good luck. Let me know if you want the two files.

Oh, BTW, I ran the sucker for 2hrs 30mins in both FB v2.04 and PF 3.04m. Had a blast. <WEG>

S~

Loc-Dog6
03-02-2005, 04:46 AM
I sware every single virtual pilot out there would be using a MSFFB2 if it still was in production!

Now I hate Microsoft for stop making it. They can't do anything right, can they!?

It worked out great for CH and Saitek tho. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

BBloke
03-02-2005, 05:34 AM
Who to say that MS didn't just stop making them because they considered other companies make a slightly better stick and for less money so they may just purchase the company anyway..

Just food for thought... where do you think they got a hold of anti spyware software!!??

DDastardlySID
03-03-2005, 10:50 AM
BBloke: Thanks for replying m8, I tried the procedure you described, but with no luck. In fact I found that even after unplugging the X45 and uninstalling the Saitek s/w stuff I still didn't have working FFB in the MS stick. I was beginning to think the actual physical mechanism was bust, but I stumbled across a solution on the MS site which mentioned changing MIDI settings when having problems with FFB. I therefore changed the MIDI music playback device (on the Audio tab of "Sound and Audio Devices") from (iirc) "Soundblaster Live! Synth A (9000)" to "SB Live! MIDI Port (9000)" and hey presto FFB was back.

The weird thing is I've never changed MIDI settings before and FFB always used to work with my original setting before I installed the X45 so why I needed to change em now I have no idea. Not that it bothers me hugely - I've got my beloved FFB back and it's working perfectly in conjunction with the X45 throttle (and SST s/w) and that's all that matters http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

Cheers,
DickDastardly

BBloke
03-03-2005, 11:02 AM
Cool. I'm glad you got it working.

It's good to know one solution has helped with a similar problem.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif