PDA

View Full Version : Question about visual detection range

tony000
12-09-2005, 12:43 PM
Please help. How close is getting to close in reguards to visual detection? Assuming the conditions are DAYTIME, CLEAR, and CALM; how close can/should I get to a merchant before she sees me? Is there a rule of thumb distance that others use before diving? Also, is there a dive distance for warships as well before detection because I assume their lookouts are better than merchants.

Jose.MaC
12-09-2005, 01:38 PM
Is hard to say. Since the sub is a small ship, you can compare it with a trawler. Try to get the range at wich your crew can spot a trawler, and you have a rought aproximation.

Remember, heading to the enemy you offer less surface, so you've to be closer to be spoted. Also, it depends on the quality of the crew.In the other hand, you can try to play the great game from Microprose's Silent Service II, to get reports about distance an american sub can be spotted, and use them as a guide.

But you can come as near as 3500 meters without any fear!

Kaleun1961
12-09-2005, 04:17 PM
You can experiment for yourself to get an idea of detection ranges in varying conditions by using the stealth meter at the patrol options screen. In addition to the atmospheric condtions, your stealth while surfaced is affected by speed. Slower speeds leave less of a wake. High speed surface runs leave a large wake behind your boat, as well as a higher bow wave. When your stealth meter starts turning from green to yellow or red, you are spotted or about to be.

VikingGrandad
12-10-2005, 08:29 PM
Don't forget that the stealth meter indicates the likelihood of you being detected, i.e. if it turns red it doesn't necessarily mean you have been detected. I didn't realize this subtlety for a long time.

Kaleun1961
12-10-2005, 09:05 PM
Yes, of course, VG. Thanks for pointing out that distinction. I've seen it go to red without being detected. The longer you stay "in the red," the more likely it is you will be spotted.

Jose.MaC
12-11-2005, 05:30 AM
Our dear and overactive Avon Lady has done even a benchmark to get the visual detection range under Time Compression settings http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=44614&highlight=

Is a must read!