PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the planes???

Vincent555
04-22-2005, 04:05 AM
I don't know wheter this has been asked before (search function still kaputt..)

But I'm on my tenth patrol now and the date is 17 November 1941, but I still haven't come across ANY airplane! I have nearly finished Iron Coffins by Herbert Werner and that book says that around 1941 they couldn't even leave the biscay bay without being constantly harassed by brithish fighterplanes.
So my question is: Wat am I doing wrong??
Or is there something wrong with my game since I know a lot of people on this forum are seeing planes

cueceleches
04-22-2005, 04:33 AM
Well, there are quite a bunch of them. Try closing on (i.e) Scapa Flow, sink one single trawler, and you will get in no time a whole squadron of Swordfish harassing you all the way out...

Vincent555
04-22-2005, 05:04 AM
Thanks for the info.
So wat you're saying is that if I want to see planes, I should go near enemy naval bases, and just disregard wat my little map says that came with the game?

quillan
04-22-2005, 08:14 AM
The map seems to indicate areas where aircraft hunt submarines. It's not exact, nor are the dates exact. I rarely got attacked north of England as long as I stayed north of the Orkneys (where Scapa Flow is located), but when I ran too close to the shore I got attacked several times. By late 1942, I was getting attacked by B24 Liberators 1000 km away from Reykjavik. I think the British planes patrol mostly near the north coast, but patrol the Channel and the Irish Sea pretty heavily. Once planes are based in Iceland, they patrol the convoy routes heavily too. And by late 42, you'll start having the hunter/killer groups running around the seas with carrier based aircraft looking for you. In fact, the large number of air attacks I suffered on my last 3 patrols in 42 are what convinced me to upgrade from my well loved VIIB to a VIIC. I can really use the faster dive time and increased AA guns.

Vincent555
04-22-2005, 08:59 AM
Thanks quillan, Your answer brings me to another question i'd like to ask.

Where are the big convoys?
So far i have seen only one convoy in ten patrols.

Is this normal or is there a good place to find large convoys?
I tried almost every trading route but haven't found anything but lone merchants.

Reybert
04-22-2005, 09:46 AM
Check out the map with the convoy lanes is the fastest and simplest answer I can give.

Maj_Death
04-22-2005, 10:06 AM
Go to the NW corner of AM53 and wait till one runs over you. Shouldn't take more than 5 days for that to happen.