PDA

View Full Version : My pic????

WilhelmSchulz.-
09-06-2005, 11:26 AM
How do u get a pichure under your name???

Skarphol
09-06-2005, 12:56 PM
The picture is called an 'avatar'. For some reason. You must make a picture, upload it to some site on the net, and then edit your profile.

Go to 'My space', pick 'profile', then 'Edit profile' and once again 'edit' where it says Avatar/picture URL. Here you type the adress to your chosen picture.

Think the size is about 64x64 pixels, if your picture is larger, it will automatically be resized after loading. Large avatars are unpopular, as they slow down loading of the page for everyone.

Allowed formats are .jpg and .gif and probably some others.

If the site you upload your picture to has a limit of the nubers of times you can download pictures from it, your avatar will soon be replaced by a box where it says "picture of WilhelmSchulz.-" and that's not as funny as a really cool avatar..

Skarphol

Gunnersman
09-06-2005, 01:12 PM
Try this image hosting site. I dont know which is the best but it works for me.

http://xs.to/

Either that or do a google for free web hosting/image hosting sites. Or do a search for reviews.

WilhelmSchulz.-
09-06-2005, 02:22 PM
could some give more detail. can u get a pic off the net then turn it into a avatar???

Skarphol
09-06-2005, 02:33 PM
Yepp, any picture, as long as the format is allowed. Most pictures on the net is in .jpg format. Some others are .bmp or .gif or something. Try avoiding .bmp-files as they tend to be HUGE.

If you know the adress to the picture you would like to use, just type it in.

The problem with using pictures you find on the net is that you don't know how long the picture will stay on that specific adress. So if you have an ability to upload the picture to your own area on the net, that would be safer. If you don't have your own homepage to host the pictures, there are lot of other possibilities. Most of my pictures that I share with others on the net is located at http://www.photobucket.com, wich is a free service. It has (AFAIK) a limit of how often a picture can be downloaded pr week or something, so if my avatar where located there and many people read this thread, I would soon exceed the number of times my picture could be downloaded as it would be downloaded 2 times pr view, as this is my second entry in this thread. So my pictures is on a homepage instead.

Skarphol

WilhelmSchulz.-
09-06-2005, 02:40 PM
what the bloody hell is a URL???

Skarphol
09-06-2005, 02:47 PM
Stolen from Wikipedia: "A Uniform Resource Locator, URL (spelled out as an acronym, not pronounced as 'earl'), or Web address, is a standardized address name layout for resources (such as documents or images) on the Internet (or elsewhere). "

A geek way of saynig adress.

Hey! You've managed to get to the "Picture of Wil..." part!!

Skarphol

WilhelmSchulz.-
09-06-2005, 02:51 PM
Gunnersman im using your site. Ive got a imige hosted at xs.to but im geting that box with a x in the corner what am I doing wrong???

Skarphol
09-06-2005, 02:59 PM
OK, good luck!

Time in the Kingdom of Norway is now 10.58PM, and I'm going to bed!
i'll check on your progress tomorrow!

Skarphol

Gunnersman
09-06-2005, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by WilhelmSchulz.-:
Gunnersman im using your site. Ive got a imige hosted at xs.to but im geting that box with a x in the corner what am I doing wrong???

Im not real sure. I had that happen to me once and then my pic started working. I think, it has to do with the SHIII site. Im not well educated on this stuff. I just started using it recently myself.

Messervy
09-06-2005, 06:37 PM
Written a long time ago but it should still work.
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=400102&f=857101043&m=5261062382