PDA

View Full Version : Bat radar guided bomb

harold x
02-08-2011, 03:42 PM
does anyone know to incorporate the Bat bomb to corsair usn/ usmc in game missions. better still all the new weapons and planes into appropriate national missions.i am not good at fmb and its pointless in qmb for that reason. thanks

Treetop64
02-08-2011, 09:35 PM
I'm not sure the Corsair was equipped to carry the bat.

Romanator21
02-09-2011, 12:13 AM
It's a post-war weapon.

Heliopause
02-09-2011, 02:49 AM
I dont think it was post-war.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat_(guided_bomb)

M_Gunz
02-09-2011, 04:03 AM
Team Daidalos was good enough to prepare the 4.10 Guide as a PDF but who takes time to RTFM?

Bat radar-guided bomb
The SWOD Mark 9, also known as Bat, was an anti-shipping weapon developed by US Naval
Bureau of Ordnance's. It was fielded operationally and was one of the most impressive guided
weapons developed during World War II.
The Bat's guidance system was particularly sophisticated for the time. After being dropped it
glided toward the target on a preset course using a gyro-stabilizer system to keep it on track.
As it approached the target the bomb locked on with its own radar system that guided it into
the target. Since the radar seeker was conceptually similar to the "sonar" system used by a
bat to prey on flying insects, the weapon was named after the bat. The Bat also included a
self-destruct mechanism to keep it from falling into enemy hands, and obtained its electrical
power from four small windmill generators.

The Bat was put into operation in May 1945, on Navy PB4Y-2 Privateer patrol bombers,
maritime derivatives of the Consolidated B-24 Liberator. One Bat was carried under each wing.
Privateer’s crews claimed many successes against Japanese shipping in the seas around
Borneo, though some sources suggest they may have exaggerated the weapon's effectiveness.
Bats with modified guidance systems were also used against ground targets in Burma and
other Japanese-held areas; they simply homed in on the biggest target in their radar seeker.
Also other aircraft were modified to be equipped of the new bomb: F4U-4 Corsair, SB2C
Helldiver, PBM Mariner, JM-1 Marauder, PV-1 Hudson and PB-1 Flying Fortress.

Implementation in Il-2
This bomb is fitted on F4U-1D (flyable) and B-24 (AI). Once dropped, it will lock on the best
naval target that it finds. A radar seeker is simulated, looking forward and slightly tilted
towards the ground. You should be sure to point the aircraft roughly towards the target, but
also that there are no other ships around nearer or much bigger which the seeker might lock
onto instead of the one you chose to attack. The bomb does not recognize friend from foe so
be sure that there are no friendly ships in front of you or directly below you that the seeker
could acquire as targets!
The weapon will lock more easily and will be more precise against a big ship, that gives a
strong radar return, than against a small ship or boat. Once the bomb is dropped, you do not
have to do anything else, it is a "fire and forget" weapon. But (as for other weapons in IL-2)
you must remain alive in game to score a hit.
Range depends on aircraft altitude (being a gliding bomb) you can expect to achieve a 20km
range if you drop from 8000m.

Important: To maintain the online gameplay balance, the Bat bomb is not available unless
mission builder explicitly enables it by setting mission date to year 1946.

Just for hell of it:

Razon Guided Bomb

The Azon series were the first US guided bombs to be used operationally. These were
conceptually very similar to the German Fritz X. The Azon bomb could only be steered in
azimuth and thus it range error on delivery was similar to a dumb bomb.
The Azon kit was produced until November 1944 by which time 15,000 units were built. It was
deployed in the ETO from February 1944 and used extensively in Burma for bridge dropping
strikes. The 15th AF in the Mediterranean is credited with Azon attacks on the Danube river
locks and the Avisio viaduct. In Burma Azons were used to destroy 27 bridges using 493
rounds, including the famous Kwai River bridge.
The more sophisticated Razon used a dual channel control link for range and azimuth
guidance. The VB-3 was based on the 1,000 lb and VB-4 the 2,000 lb bombs. The Razons used
two tandem annular wing assemblies, the aft assembly used for control. The guidance
command link used up to 47 preset channels. Around 3,000 Razons were built during 1945 but
the weapon did not see significant use until the Korean conflict where B-29s carrying up to 8
rounds were use to attack bridges.
Implementation in Il-2

For better gameplay, the more sophisticated Razon has been implemented and fitted to B-24.

Choctaw111
02-09-2011, 08:02 AM
I didn't really know too much about these.
How well are they implemented in Il2?
I am only asking as I really haven't messed around with 4.10 all that much.

JG53Frankyboy
02-09-2011, 08:45 AM
no need to mess around with it... a simple fire and forget one hit wonder.

jarink
02-09-2011, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Choctaw111:
I didn't really know too much about these.
How well are they implemented in Il2?
I am only asking as I really haven't messed around with 4.10 all that much.

Well, the only flyable plane that carries the Bat is the F4U. Like the readme says, just point it roughly toward your target and let it go. The AZON/RAZON, Hs-293 and Fritz-X would be manually steered in real life. Unfortunately, they aren't available on any flyable planes. (I have to hope that TD intends on changing that in the future.)

JG53Frankyboy
02-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by jarink:
....................., Hs-293 and Fritz-X would be manually steered in real life. Unfortunately, they aren't available on any flyable planes. (I have to hope that TD intends on changing that in the future.)

???????????????
ever tried the He 111 H-12 ................

potver
02-10-2011, 01:27 AM
At first I couldn,t find the Bat bomb for the F4U-1D under the arming screen.
Later I find out it,s under Vieuw, Object Properties Weapons (after having clicked on the already placed aircraft F4U-1D).
I don,t understand why it,s not in the arming screen?

M_Gunz
02-10-2011, 01:34 AM
Important: To maintain the online gameplay balance, the Bat bomb is not available unless
mission builder explicitly enables it by setting mission date to year 1946.

fabianfred
02-10-2011, 02:18 AM
...to maintain stupidity...all those who cannot be bothered to read the readme will also ignore any quotes from the readme posted in the thread as well..... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

M_Gunz
02-10-2011, 09:49 AM
I'm just seeing how short I can make it and still have it missed. Looking things up beyond a net search and skimming for bits that 'prove' rightness or 'whatever' is becoming a lost art.

How many days have we been getting new threads on the CoD forum asking about system requirements -after- the sticky went up at the top telling -exactly- that?

Perhaps it's too much asking people to read (lips get tired dontchano?) when they can just ask?

harold x
02-10-2011, 11:42 AM
i was asking if were possble use the Bat radar guided bomb in game dgen in game missions apart from QMB

M_Gunz
02-10-2011, 02:16 PM
Thought you caught it sooner. Year must be 1946. I don't use DGEN so I can't say what IT allows. If it doesn't then see about Lowengrin's DCG. It looks like the Bat Bomb is an FMB special but OMG it must take a year of grad school to begin to use the FMB!

jarink
02-10-2011, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by JG53Frankyboy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jarink:
....................., Hs-293 and Fritz-X would be manually steered in real life. Unfortunately, they aren't available on any flyable planes. (I have to hope that TD intends on changing that in the future.)

???????????????
ever tried the He 111 H-12 ................ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To be honest, no. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif
I think I only messed around in 4.10 about an hour or so before going back to 4.09/UP2.01.

Thanks for the correction, though.