PDA

View Full Version : Padlock, a few questions?

Lead-Brick
03-17-2007, 03:46 PM
Firstly is there a way to get rid of the silly coloured triangle? Is there a line in the config file to disable this?

Next question, Why do almost none of Hyperloby servers allow it? As far as I can see by not allowing it it actually makes the game less real! Now don't get me wrong I love full switch as much as the next chap but isn't turning your head to follow your target just natural? If you have a TIR thats another matter, you don't need it. For the rest of us poor SOB's who can't afford one, padlock would help level the field a little. In offline games when you turn icons off the padlock higlights green regardless of nationality. So where's the problem you still have to ID the aircraft?

Maybe I'm just being a stick in the mud as my online frame rate really sucks because of dailup, lack of system ram and budget video card? Hey I'll get those fixed but as you can see a TIR is way down the list.

Cheers

Kim

Davinci..
03-17-2007, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Lead-Brick:
Firstly is there a way to get rid of the silly coloured triangle? Is there a line in the config file to disable this?

Next question, Why do almost none of Hyperloby servers allow it? As far as I can see by not allowing it it actually makes the game less real! Now don't get me wrong I love full switch as much as the next chap but isn't turning your head to follow your target just natural? If you have a TIR thats another matter, you don't need it. For the rest of us poor SOB's who can't afford one, padlock would help level the field a little. In offline games when you turn icons off the padlock higlights green regardless of nationality. So where's the problem you still have to ID the aircraft?

Maybe I'm just being a stick in the mud as my online frame rate really sucks because of dailup, lack of system ram and budget video card? Hey I'll get those fixed but as you can see a TIR is way down the list.

Cheers

Kim

As for the color of padlock, i think its up to the server to change it, years ago i played on a server that had a short range padlock, that was "for the most part" invisible. That was a few years ago, i dont know if that still works, but it was up to the server to set it like that.

I think the reason most servers dont use it, is because it can act as a finder/radar. Ie, if you lose sight of someone in the groud/trees/camo all you have to do is point your view in the general direction, hit the padlock key, and it will track him giving away his position. This isnt real at all, if pilots lost sight of someone in the ground clutter, you couldnt just press a button and track/recenter your view on them, which padlock allows. On the full real servers if you lose sight of someone, its up to you to find them. Now i agree that having a better system helps with that a ton, but to cancel out having to look for your enemy with the click of a button dosnt imo make things more real.

Im with you on the having a weak system, i've got a 2500+barton 1gig ram, and a 6600gt. I use mouse for viewing, it faster, more accurate, smoother then a TIR will ever be(TIR would be great for immersion though). And allows me to track anything just fine(unless i lose sight of it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ).

Mouse view is the way to go imo http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

|CoB|_Spectre
03-17-2007, 04:22 PM
Lead-Brick, although there have been heated discussions both pro and con regarding padlock, I happen to like it and use it. I can't justify the expense of TrackIR no more than I'm simming these days.

Quite a few patch/upgrades ago, Oleg gave us the ability to toggle through various icon settings. If you load the game to the main menu screen, then click on the Controls button, scroll down the page to the Misc section and you'll see "Toggle Icon Types". Designate a key (I'm using the E key) and even if you or the host is allowing targeting icons, you can use the designated key to toggle through various amounts of detail including one that displays no ID, no range and no triangle. That way you can fly without the targeting triangle (as I do) even if others in the game feel like they need it.

IMHO, padlock is a valid compromise, albeit not perfect, between the constraints of flying in a 3d virtual world through a 2D monitor. I find it no less unrealistic than scanning the skies with a hat switch, but to each his own. Happy landings!

Huxley_S
03-17-2007, 05:06 PM
Padlock also allows you to spot enemy aircraft before you've actually spotted them... which is a bit unrealistic.

TrackIR is the best solution if you can afford it, but you can get good results from the hatswitch on your joystick, especially if you use NewView.

Get it here:

http://www.mousevision.com/game/newview/il2_newview.zip

With this you can change the Hat Switch to pan smoothly at the speed you are comfortable with. NewView also has a feature whereby your POV changes slightly with movements of the stick i.e. you look in the direction you are steering.

Give it a try.

Lead-Brick
03-17-2007, 05:21 PM
I agree it definately could be used as a Radar. If Icons are swithced off though it padlocks the closest aircraft to your centre of veiw. As often as not this will be a freindly when you are flying on line. Also, Padlock has one huge disadvantage, you loose your situational awareness by being locked on the one target.

Oh well sounds like this one has gone around and around on the forums a few times before. Looks like No Padlock is the result of the all of the arguments.

Pitty

Xiolablu3
03-17-2007, 06:51 PM
Ukded2 uses all the usual settings (cockpit on, No enemy icons etc) but has padlock on.

Ukded3 does not allow padlock and is full real I think. - maybe has close friendly icons only, cant remember.

UKded1 allows padlock but also allows 'no cockpit'.

Great servers and maps running on those too.

Lead-Brick
03-17-2007, 11:51 PM
WOW newview is the sexyiest free ap I've had the pleasure to use, thanks Huxley_S!!

My problem with the UKded servers is... I have stinking dailup and am on the exact oposite side of the world from them. My ping therefor gets me kicked every time!!

Newveiw looks like the answer. I spent this afternoon playing with 3x AI Me109 F4's in a hurri bus IIc. I couldn't match their B&Z but they couldn't touch me either :-)

Lurch1962
03-19-2007, 07:07 PM
In the Controls listing there's one that reads something like, "InstantViewWithPadlock" or something vaguely like it (goin' on memory here). With that function you can padlock on a bandit, and whenever you need to quickly look forward to see where you're going, press and hold it for as long as you need to.

What's even neater, from a "cheatin'" point of view, is you can hold down that button ALL DAY LONG and never lose the lock, even when the bandit is completely out of sight under you, etc. and would otherwise cause a loss of lock after the prescribed several seconds.

--Lurch--