PDA

View Full Version : Problems with GWX on my PC

OzzyTom
05-24-2010, 10:17 AM
Hi everyone,

I have been playing SH3 for a while now and recently tried the GWX mod and really enjoyed it. The trouble is that it made my PC crash so much that I just couldn't enjoy it, i couldn't play more than one month of game time if that. So I was forced to uninstall it and go back to stock SH3.

My PC seems to have a problem with mods, the same thing happened with a mod I installed for Rome: Total War. I was wondering whether it is just too much for my PC to handle (it is not exactly top-of-the-range), if there is anything I can do to make it more stable, or if there is another mod that would be better for my system.

My PC spec:

Windows Vista
Pentium (R) Dual Core 2.6 GHz
2 GB RAM
256 MB in-built graphics card
DirectX 9 compatible PCI card

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Foehammer-1
05-24-2010, 11:24 AM
I have had that problem with a 256MB card and also about 2 gigs RAM. Maybe just coincidence. But what I've noticed, if I ever tried to zoom out far on a map in high time compression, it was an automatic crash to desktop. Maybe the RAM is the issue.
Also, it crashed near port sometimes when tried to increase time compression.

My new rig, quite a bit more powerful, runs it without any problems...

OzzyTom
05-24-2010, 11:32 AM
I don't know why RAM would be an issue, the recommended is only 256 MB.

When I ran GWX it would crash at random intervals, I don't think any one thing triggered it. It seems as though it is just too unstable. Could it be Vista?

Kaleun1961
05-24-2010, 02:16 PM
The weak link to me looks that onboard graphics card. 3D intensive games like SH3 require a dedicated graphics card. Onboard graphics processors have to timeshare system resources with the main CPU. I even had to install a separate sound card when I first started playing SH3. After sinking a ship, the sounds were overwhelming my onboard sound processor; as soon as I installed a Sound Blaster card those problems ceased.

Wait a second. Reading your post again I see "256MB built-in" and "DX9 PCI card." Is that DX9 card a video card or sound card? Specs on those two items might prove useful to know.

OzzyTom
05-25-2010, 03:49 PM
The Direct X compatible card is the sound card.

The graphics card is built in and I understand that a dedicated graphics card is better suited to game-playing but I don't understand why it is having problems with a game that needs 64MB or 128MB recommended.

Kaleun1961
05-25-2010, 04:40 PM
Ah, welcome to the world of PC gaming. "Minimum system requirements" as printed on game boxes are meant to be taken with a healthy dose of salt. Game companies love to underestimate the hardware needed to run a game properly, in order to sucker in those with systems that are not quite up to scratch.

Mittelwaechter
05-25-2010, 08:06 PM
Stock SH3 should run without any problems as you meet the required system specs.

But you run GWX and this is a big difference. All the nice stuff in it puts your rig to the rim.

Your graphics card is the bottle neck here.

OzzyTom
05-25-2010, 08:29 PM
Yeah, a dedicated graphics card is one thing at the top of my shopping list.

But maybe reducing the load of my computer may help. I thought I'd try reinstalling GWX and turning the graphics settings down.

But now I'm having all sorts of problems reinstalling stock SH3 and patching it to 1.4b in order to stick GWX on.

I have completed a clean install of SH3 and I'm trying to patch it to 1.4b but the error message 'D:\SilentHunterIII\data\Menu\cfg\Dials.cfg: Unknown Version' keeps appearing.

Before I try my original plan, how do I solve this?

OzzyTom
05-25-2010, 08:56 PM
Ok, an update:

I have managed to install stock Sh3, patched it to 1.4b but now when I try to install GWX the installation gets as far as the sound files before an error message says:

'D:\SilentHunterIII\data\Sound\Gramophone\021.ogg
An error has occured while trying to copy a file:
The source file is corrupted.'

I have downloaded the MD5Mate Software to check my downloads but can't figure out how to compare them. When I try to find my download folder where the GWX files are they don't appear in the options to browse files.

Any help here?

OzzyTom
05-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Another update:

I have worked out the MD5Mate software and found that the GWX3-5.bin file was corrupt. I am downloading another, so I will let you know how this pans out...

bunkerratt
05-28-2010, 07:38 AM
yes the graphics card is the weak link ...but you are also running VISTA a known resource hog...with only 2 gb of ram installed you have to realize ...vista has ate up close to a half a gb of memory on it's own ...also a stand alone sound card would help....the best way i can explain your system would be a one man band on a street corner..making all the sound and visuals by himself VS. a system with dedicated hardware one guy making sound and another making graphics and one leading the others aka the cpu . also what type and speed of memory do you have on the motherboard? for that matter what type of motherboard do you use? and what type of psu is on the system?

OzzyTom
05-29-2010, 08:03 PM
I have no idea with those questions sorry bunkerratt!

All I do know is that I turned event camera off, music off and every setting I could find down to low and it works a treat now! I'm dead pleased, crashes once in blue moon now which is what I got with stock SH3.

cookie7746
06-04-2010, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by OzzyTom:
Yeah, a dedicated graphics card is one thing at the top of my shopping list.

But maybe reducing the load of my computer may help. I thought I'd try reinstalling GWX and turning the graphics settings down.

But now I'm having all sorts of problems reinstalling stock SH3 and patching it to 1.4b in order to stick GWX on.

I have completed a clean install of SH3 and I'm trying to patch it to 1.4b but the error message 'D:\SilentHunterIII\data\Menu\cfg\Dials.cfg: Unknown Version' keeps appearing.

Before I try my original plan, how do I solve this?

If you are getting the error message...... 'unknown version' (short version), it means that probably you have already installed the 1.4b patch.
Have a look ...at the bottom Right-hand corner of the Options page as it opens up....for the 1.4 tag. (if it is there,you have installed it properly)
I had the same problem, didn't realise that I had installed it. (The 1.4!...is so small you have to look twice...to notice it being there.)
The fact that I am up to my 12th mission doesn't help much,as I keep getting clobbered by 'unseen' destroyers.....in heavy seas no less.(120 metres, and closing fast, before I even get a chance to react. Naturally, my sub goes down...with all hands, as a result.
The Sonar operator is crap.
He 'tells' you.....after the fact, that he hears a ship close by.
Have no problem getting to the Mission's Grid, or patrolling it either.
You might encounter a few stragglers during all your Missions...in getting to the allotted Grid number.
Yeah,right.
The nearest ship is usually over 250 kilometres away (and your Top Speed is 18 Knts...surfaced!, 8 Knts submerged!)
Destroyers/Armed Trawlers doing 20+ Knts, you're got be kidding!
And, you have to get within 1000 Metres.....to make your torps into 'hits'!
Never fire one ...into the propellers. They just turn to duds. Instantly! (They just get washed away, actually!)
Funny thing about the "Weather", too!?!
I can get to the Patrol Grid in usually 'fine weather', easy enough, but, the moment my time to leave it comes around, guess what?
The heavy weather sets in, and even if you spot any ship on your map by the time you get to 'where' it is......it usually ain't there! (No matter how you try tracking any down, they just don't 'appear'!)
Like I've said ,the Sonar man is a(useless) 'crock'.
He calls out 'where' ships are......but, they don't show up on any of the maps. (The same thing, in hunting them down, .....they ain't in the direction the Sonar man says they are.)
I don't go hunting the Convoys.
I go for the stragglers. (Any that come too close to me, that is......with the Map scaled down....to the 13 Kilometre one. Any ship 'within reach' therefore becomes easier to catch.)
The best thing to remember, is the real History.
Of 'where' these ships were coming from/going to!
The Primary Objective of your Missions (all of them!)....is to get to the Map Grid associated with your Mission, and, of course, patrol it for 24 hours.
What you do after that, well that's entirely up to you, isn't it?
Just for fun, I travelled ....to Liverpool. (Right up the river, to the Base there. Shot up a fishing trawler, a Torpedo-boat, and an armed trawler...on the way Home. DON' try this...at night! There's a huge Battery of search-lights/Bunkers w/guns....on the left going IN! OR, even surface anywhere there! Because I got 'clobbered'....by at least 6 Flying boat aircraft fully-loaded. I went down..with all hands, as a result.)
Use your Navigator, to check constantly...on the Weather.
If it say Winds are higher than 5......NO DECK-GUN/FLAK-GUN either! (The funny thing is, here,.......that you can SURFACE, and LOAD your EXTERNAL Torps! With ease(With Time Compression sped up, of course)! But, No gun action whatsoever....above Winds 5!)