PDA

View Full Version : Something to think about...

Stingray-65
09-28-2006, 03:52 PM
I just met a 33y/o girl whose father served in the Afrika Corps under Rommel and was taken prisoner by the Americans. Apparently, after the war, he just stayed here in America, became a citizen, got married and started a family (kinda late in life). Anyway, then it hit me.... Cargo ships heading towards America loaded with German P.O.W.s. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif I wonder.... Would these ships have been marked as hospital ships?

Also, are there any hospital ships in the game?

Danelov
09-28-2006, 04:26 PM
Not sur ,I think no.Hospital ships were used exactly after his denomination , as floating hospitals.Transporting POWs mean also armed guards and that´s in contractidion with the rules of the Red Cross functions.If my memory is good and after the Geneva Convention the POWS were muss taked out of the combat zone and his safety must be guaranted.
But WWII was a terrible conflict and a lot of ships were sunken with American and British POWs in Japanese cargos, Italian POWS in the Laconia for example sunk by U-156,the most part of the U-Boats POWs crews were transfered in Canada(Also Luftwaffe and others),etc.

RitterkreuzU35
09-28-2006, 05:05 PM
Yes Stingray there are Hospital ships in the game [ at least in GW for sure ] I have unfortunatly run into them a couple of times.

Stingray-65
09-28-2006, 05:24 PM
I imagine it was hard enough for some uboat captains to sleep at night with the nature of their work, but especially so if they had to wonder if they may have sunk their own countrymen.

I'll have to keep my eyes open for hospital ships then. I've not seen any for sure. I'm guessing they're clearly marked... as in hard to miss unless in thick fog.

RitterkreuzU35
09-28-2006, 05:35 PM
They are marked, however they can be missidentified as troop ships unless the weather is clear or you get close enough. I had this problem where I could barely make them out in bad weather at night and using manual targeting missidentified them [ I say them because this has actualy happened to me twice, odd but true]

Rood-Zwart
09-28-2006, 07:08 PM
There's one in Alexandria