PDA

View Full Version : Adventures in a hurricane

veovis39
03-21-2007, 08:44 PM
Found my first japanese boat in the worst weather imaginable. I didn't look up the type because I took it out with the deck gun (which I should not be able to do, but couldn't resist =D) It was massive though - around 19k tons.

Bring on the bugs! First off, the wind was nearly horizontal and waves were crashing over the conning tower, with visibility limited to 500m or so tops - yet I can use the gun? lol

Second, I experienced MASSIVE FPS slowdown when going to the bridge or the gun. This only happens if there is bad weather and there is another boat around. Sailing through midway with the 20 boats there or so is fine, and so is sailing in bad weather, but apparently not both at once.

Third, She finally started going up in flames and I was treated to a real sight. I was downwind about 300-400m, yet the smoke from the flames whipped over my head within a second. The smoke plume was completely horizontal, and looked to be moving at around 100mph at the least.

I guess I have a hell of a watch crew, huh? On to Dalian I go. I hope this hurricane/typhoon goes away.

EDIT - I forgot the best part! In any outside station, my FPS remained about 2-4 UNTIL A WAVE CRASHED OVER MY VIEW, and as soon as the water drained away I would be back at 50+ FPS. Go figure. This happened consistantly, at both the gun and bridge stations. For the external cam, if I went below the waves and came back up, same effect.

EDIT2 - Let's not forget the fact that the way I found this ship in the first place was that my air search radar picked it up.

veovis39
03-21-2007, 08:44 PM
Found my first japanese boat in the worst weather imaginable. I didn't look up the type because I took it out with the deck gun (which I should not be able to do, but couldn't resist =D) It was massive though - around 19k tons.

Bring on the bugs! First off, the wind was nearly horizontal and waves were crashing over the conning tower, with visibility limited to 500m or so tops - yet I can use the gun? lol

Second, I experienced MASSIVE FPS slowdown when going to the bridge or the gun. This only happens if there is bad weather and there is another boat around. Sailing through midway with the 20 boats there or so is fine, and so is sailing in bad weather, but apparently not both at once.

Third, She finally started going up in flames and I was treated to a real sight. I was downwind about 300-400m, yet the smoke from the flames whipped over my head within a second. The smoke plume was completely horizontal, and looked to be moving at around 100mph at the least.

I guess I have a hell of a watch crew, huh? On to Dalian I go. I hope this hurricane/typhoon goes away.

EDIT - I forgot the best part! In any outside station, my FPS remained about 2-4 UNTIL A WAVE CRASHED OVER MY VIEW, and as soon as the water drained away I would be back at 50+ FPS. Go figure. This happened consistantly, at both the gun and bridge stations. For the external cam, if I went below the waves and came back up, same effect.

EDIT2 - Let's not forget the fact that the way I found this ship in the first place was that my air search radar picked it up.