PDA

View Full Version : why war clouds is the most pouplar server?

raaaid
12-03-2004, 05:48 AM
its simple its because it has a fair set of planes so people dont mind being in either side

no like other servers where there are differences in top speed of planes of 50 km/h

now i just hope they make it 128 so everybody flys at war clouds wf

raaaid
12-03-2004, 05:48 AM
its simple its because it has a fair set of planes so people dont mind being in either side

no like other servers where there are differences in top speed of planes of 50 km/h

now i just hope they make it 128 so everybody flys at war clouds wf

Maj_Death
12-03-2004, 06:01 AM
Meh, Warclouds sucks IMHO. Too arcadish for my taste. Besides, the most popular server is VFC*HOST when Ivan runs a COOP on it.

Osirisx9
12-03-2004, 06:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maj_Death:
Meh, Warclouds sucks IMHO. Too arcadish for my taste. Besides, the most popular server is VFC*HOST when Ivan runs a COOP on it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Major check out the F4F vs Zeke or BIRDSOFPREY_FR. F4F vs Zeke is almost full switch. I believe that you were on one of our other servers. In fact the BIRDSOFPREY_FR server is the same server as the old SpitVb_vs_109F server but this time there isn't minimap path. The Icon settings are Friendly=1k names and type. Foe=.30type

RAF238thOsiris
www.warbirdsofprey.org (http://www.warbirdsofprey.org)

Xses_08
12-03-2004, 06:46 AM
I'll agree that "VFC*HOST" is the most popular Coop server, but numbers show that Warclouds is the most popular scripted dogfight server on HL.

Without getting into a "realism" settings arguement, I believe most will find Warclouds the best compromise in settings from what is available. Saying it is "Arcadish" is a bit far fetched. I like flying in full switch servers, and prefer them normally, but the settings Sparx has assigned in Warclouds does not hinder tactics used in full switch servers. And some of the best pilots I personally have flown against are found flying here.

Yet, it allows and attracts players used to most difficulty settings (apart from "external's fliers" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif ) to participate in a very well run server.

This and being very central latency wise for most of the world, combined with a great public teamspeak server will keep this server at almost max capacity for a while to come I'd suggest.

Keep up the great work Sparx!!
Xses.

VW-IceFire
12-03-2004, 07:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maj_Death:
Meh, Warclouds sucks IMHO. Too arcadish for my taste. Besides, the most popular server is VFC*HOST when Ivan runs a COOP on it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think its not arcadish enough. Warclouds needs to run a more friendly version of their setup for those of us who want to jump into things a little quicker.

Not everyone prefers the same settings.

Airmikey2
12-03-2004, 07:43 AM
I like the new message system that gives coordinates of where planes are lost..keeps the action hopping on these otherwise huge maps. A very nice server indeed, well done Sparks.

I also like birds of prey, greater green, VFC host, virtualpilots... they are all good - depends on my mood.

Airmikey

Hendley
12-03-2004, 07:50 AM
Everyone has different tastes, but it's a bit surprising that anyone thinks Warclouds "arcady". For me, it has just about the most immersive settings out there (as opposed to the most information-sparse settings, which is a different thing entirely). Immersive means for me is being restricted to the cockpit view, managing the engine, and not having to fly within 200 metres of every plane to determine if it is friend or foe--the discrete icons are a great compromise between real-world vision and playing spot-the-pixel on a monitor that occupies about 5% of my visual field.

But more than anything, I think the maps are consistently very good. It is great that there are nearly always ground targets available for those of us, like me, who are hopeless at dogfighting http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif...

In any case, I am very, very happy that the folk involved make the effort.

TgD Thunderbolt56
12-03-2004, 11:23 AM
Was on the F4F vs Zekes server the other night...fun fun fun.

TB

LilHorse
12-03-2004, 12:49 PM
Though I prefer full-switch with the exception of speedbar being available, I think warclouds offers an overall compromise that attracts a lot of different tastes. It's not bad. I'd prefer no icons at all (I don't mind playing "spot the pixel".) but I realize some prefer them, so the limited friendlies seems to work out okay for most.

And I like the F4Fs vs. Zeros too. Although I get the "suspended airplane" bug a lot on there.

hobnail
12-03-2004, 01:39 PM
Warclouds is good but they need to be a bit more creative with their planesets/maps. It gets dead dull with 150 a side plane counts and 1944+ planes.

Early war matchups are where it's at for me.

Osirisx9
12-03-2004, 02:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hobnail:
Warclouds is good but they need to be a bit more creative with their planesets/maps. It gets dead dull with 150 a side plane counts and 1944+ planes.

Early war matchups are where it's at for me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

F4F vs Zekes , and BIRDSOFPREY_FR have earlywar planesets. Check it out.

RAF238thOsiris

Osirisx9
12-03-2004, 02:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LilHorse:
Though I prefer full-switch with the exception of speedbar being available, I think warclouds offers an overall compromise that attracts a lot of different tastes. It's not bad. I'd prefer no icons at all (I don't mind playing "spot the pixel".) but I realize some prefer them, so the limited friendlies seems to work out okay for most.

And I like the F4Fs vs. Zeros too. Although I get the "suspended airplane" bug a lot on there. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope that gets fixed in the next patch. Just bail out of the aircraft and respawn on another carrier.

RAF238thOsiris

xTHRUDx
12-03-2004, 02:03 PM
people will go were the action is. War Clouds is a western front server, the one that is popular at the moment. so don't look for and carriers there. As more servers get their map rotations up and running (Greater Green included) they'll be more variety for the communtiy. sometimes you have to join as server that's empty to get players to show up. since War Clouds has death kick you might start to get people on that other server that don't like to wait to fly.