PDA

View Full Version : DRM : Why it will ruin Ubisoft games

Sgt.Spike500
12-19-2010, 06:05 PM
I have noticed that there has been an increasing use of DRM in PC games made by ubisoft. This is suppose to help against piracy, but all it is doing is promoting it. I may be 1 person, but i speak for many PC gamers in South Africa. If DRM continues, many more will rise up in piracy, i have seen someone crack the PC version of Assassin's Creed 2, with it running without using DRM. Please, i don't only beg for the gamers in SA and around the world, i beg for you to save your career in creating games. You probably think "Who am I to judge what you do with your products" but i am trying to help you with this pressing problem. Please reply as soon as possible

AssassinVenice
12-19-2010, 06:31 PM
I think you're right.
In my country the shops don't sell the games with DRM.
I wanted to buy AC2 for the PC here in Portugal but i couldn't find it anywhere!
I had to buy it from England.

mappin020
12-31-2013, 04:49 PM
I have just bought heroes of might and magic 6 through steam, after installing through steam i am required to install this 'upaly' dog crap that doesn't work property and make an account to use the game.
I use steam because it works properly and it allows any game developer to release games on it, in return steam provides a streamlined update/patch cloud service that takes care of itself, it has a great community and theres loads of user created content and free games.

This 'uplay' is absolutely atrocious, it is a closed system, ubisoft only, it is invasive, popping up all the frigging time during a game. It actually slows my game down on my older laptop, if i end its process the game speeds up noticeably even tho it is dual core with 4gb ddr3

I CERTAINLY WILL NOT BE BUYING UBISOFT AGAIN

if the game is not bought through steam then fair enough use uplay. but still its too invasive, it actually makes playing games harder and is a cpu and ram hog.
but two layers of drm?! steam and uplay wtf! u are actually costing yourselves money buy making ur servers busier instead of valves by providing this crap uplay thing that i have no idea what to do with.

I got far cry 3 for xmas, i noticed on the back it says uplay, i think i might put it on ebay instead of opening it, or i might even destroy the 5 thing so no one has to suffer the wrath of uplay

funnyman44
12-31-2013, 05:34 PM
Sounds like EA's battlelog.

MnemonicSyntax
12-31-2013, 06:03 PM
I have just bought heroes of might and magic 6 through steam, after installing through steam i am required to install this 'upaly' dog crap that doesn't work property and make an account to use the game.
I use steam because it works properly and it allows any game developer to release games on it, in return steam provides a streamlined update/patch cloud service that takes care of itself, it has a great community and theres loads of user created content and free games.

This 'uplay' is absolutely atrocious, it is a closed system, ubisoft only, it is invasive, popping up all the frigging time during a game. It actually slows my game down on my older laptop, if i end its process the game speeds up noticeably even tho it is dual core with 4gb ddr3

I CERTAINLY WILL NOT BE BUYING UBISOFT AGAIN

if the game is not bought through steam then fair enough use uplay. but still its too invasive, it actually makes playing games harder and is a cpu and ram hog.
but two layers of drm?! steam and uplay wtf! u are actually costing yourselves money buy making ur servers busier instead of valves by providing this crap uplay thing that i have no idea what to do with.

I got far cry 3 for xmas, i noticed on the back it says uplay, i think i might put it on ebay instead of opening it, or i might even destroy the 5 thing so no one has to suffer the wrath of uplay

You can turn off all the Uplay elements so they don't pop up in game.

Also, in this case, Steam isn't a DRM. It's just a distribution service. Uplay is the DRM and cloud based saved manager. All Ubisoft games are.

I'll admit, Uplay isn't as intuitive as Steam is. However, it runs on my three systems and my work system just fine. You might need to invest in a better computer.

x___Luffy___x
12-31-2013, 06:14 PM
EA is the worst. origin is soo stupid.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-31-2013, 09:46 PM
Agreed 100%..
DRM and banned used games will ultimately lead to piracy.
I'm late to gaming this past gen (started in 2011) so I missed 5 great years of gaming, but i have th chance to go back and play these game and I am doing just that...
HOWEVER some games i got on ebay or amazon for $4-$12 cost 50 to even $70 new...
Im not about to pay $20 for a dated game let alone 50 to 70..if this were the case id become a pc gamer and just download the games for free instead...
That means for new releases I might as well do the same (why not?)
It will cause companies to lose money..it just doesnt make sense
After 2 fiscal years a company basically stops making money on physical game sales any way... thats why their extra content codes have expiration dates...
That expiration date tells you about what time they expect to stop making money of of a game...
So if youre not making money on 5 year old games, why care?

PS ACIV will be the last game with UPlay...Ubi are ditching it as a pass (I hope it stays for extra content though...I enjoy earning themes for my console and in game extras)

MnemonicSyntax
12-31-2013, 10:20 PM
Agreed 100%..
DRM and banned used games will ultimately lead to piracy.
I'm late to gaming this past gen (started in 2011) so I missed 5 great years of gaming, but i have th chance to go back and play these game and I am doing just that...
HOWEVER some games i got on ebay or amazon for $4-$12 cost 50 to even $70 new...
Im not about to pay $20 for a dated game let alone 50 to 70..if this were the case id become a pc gamer and just download the games for free instead...
That means for new releases I might as well do the same (why not?)
It will cause companies to lose money..it just doesnt make sense
After 2 fiscal years a company basically stops making money on physical game sales any way... thats why their extra content codes have expiration dates...
That expiration date tells you about what time they expect to stop making money of of a game...
So if youre not making money on 5 year old games, why care?

PS ACIV will be the last game with UPlay...Ubi are ditching it as a pass (I hope it stays for extra content though...I enjoy earning themes for my console and in game extras)

I'd love to see your source that says Game Devs stop making money after 2 fiscal years.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-31-2013, 11:14 PM
I'd love to see your source that says Game Devs stop making money after 2 fiscal years.

Common sense....they already got their money from walmart/amazon... thats why these stores can have sales and a company cant tell them no....
A chain places an order and pays for it..by year 2 no store is placing another order....