PDA

View Full Version : Why Can't I Keep Up?

Lanzfeld_13
03-16-2006, 07:32 PM
I fly a stock pacific campaign in my Wildcat. My flight takes off and so do I. 110% cowl flaps closed and I can't catch them in combat....and I fly smoooooth! Are we all using the same flight model?

Same page?????!!!!!

Snowman1025
03-16-2006, 07:53 PM
Do you have 4.04 installed? I am pretty sure in the updates the AI has gotten faster, both friendly and enemy.

Zeus-cat
03-16-2006, 08:26 PM
This is a known issue.

Cut the corners on the circling after takeoff or skip them entirley and head straight to the target.

Also, do NOT climb like the AI! Maintain speed and stay with them (but at a lower altitude) and climb slowly to meet them.

e2michaelb
03-16-2006, 08:41 PM
Try engaging the "Time Skip" function; that always catches me up, although it is kind of boring staring at a blank screen while it is doing it. Also, engaging "Autopilot" seems to allow me to catch the AI, also.

VW-IceFire
03-16-2006, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Lanzfeld_13:
I fly a stock pacific campaign in my Wildcat. My flight takes off and so do I. 110% cowl flaps closed and I can't catch them in combat....and I fly smoooooth! Are we all using the same flight model?

Same page?????!!!!!
A few tips to keep in mind. Don't climb with your nose too high...focus on keeping the ideal speed while climbing at the same time. Speed matters significantly in the climb. Pointing the nose high, dropping flaps of any kind, and otherwise destroying your aerodynamic profile will hurt your climb rate.

Many new pilots cannot keep up with veterans flying the same aircraft online because the new pilot is trying to follow by pointing the nose higher than the veteran pilot. The higher AoA decreases the lift after a certain point and results in a slower speed and thus the veteran pulls away. The AI in many respects know exactly what the climb speed should be and optimize their profile.

Radiators being open partially or all of the way is a necessary evil.

horseback
03-17-2006, 01:07 AM
This has always been a problem for the player; the ai has no overheat, completely perfect trim all the time and if required to make another flight their 'target', quite capable of violating every known time and space rule of physics.

Well made campaigns take that into account, but the 'dynamic' campaign generators tend to ignore it and assume certain flight speeds based on the assigned cruise speeds of a given aircraft, even though they are supposed to be climbing to altitude or orbiting around another flight of aircraft going at or near the same assigned cruise speed.

You can go into the FMB and modify the missions to a more reasonable speed for that leg of your flight, but that can affect whether you make contact with the enemy, or it may hose up your sense of immersion if you see what's coming.

cheers

horseback

vanjast
03-17-2006, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by Lanzfeld_13:

Same page?????!!!!!
They don't like you.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Tully__
03-17-2006, 11:17 AM
To make matter worse the stock Wildcat campaign has the speeds set way too high for easy cruise. The basics remain the same though, work out what speed the AI are cruising at and sacrifice rate of climb to keep your climb speed at least 20km/h faster than the AI. It will take longer to match altitude with them but at least you wont lose them.

Wild.Bill.Kelso
03-17-2006, 12:03 PM
You may have Complex Engine Management turned on in the Difficulties settings. Your Prop Pitch may just be set at 50%, in which case you'll never catch up. If this is the problem, set your prop pitch to 100%, or restart the campaign and turn Complex Engine Management off.

Lanzfeld_13
03-17-2006, 12:31 PM
Come on Wild Bill....

Give me a little credit! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif

Wild.Bill.Kelso
03-17-2006, 12:37 PM
Sorry, with 9 big posts, I mistook you for a Noob.

mortoma
03-18-2006, 03:36 PM
A couple of posters mentioned AI default cruise speed for stock Dgen campaigns being the problem. But did you know you can easily change that speed?? Go to your Dgen folder and find the Pacificplanes.dat or the Europlanes.dat file, depending on which theatre your campaign is in. Then find your plane type and nationality, should look like this but more spread out:

Allies USA CFighter F4F3 370 2500 2500 default 1
Allies USA CBomber F4F3 370 1000 1000 2x100 1
Allies USA CFighter F4F4 370 2500 2500 default 1
Allies USA CBomber F4F4 370 1000 1000 2x100 1

See how the first number is 370 for my Wildcats?? This is the cruise speed, it by default is 400Kph for the Wildcats and I changed it to 370, makes it easier to catch up, especially since the Wildcat will barely go 400Kph!! This is especially distressing since you overheat and have to slow down but the AI doesn't. The second number is cruise alttitude while the third attack altitude. All can be changed to your liking. After that is loadout for bomb, rockets or just default guns. You can change that too!! I did not like ground attack using that big gun ( hard to hit with ) when flying the Me-110, so I changed it.

Jumoschwanz
03-18-2006, 10:29 PM
YOu are too young to have that problem, poor bastard..........

SnapdLikeAMutha
03-19-2006, 06:03 AM
Don't point your nose *AT* the other planes in your flight, point it below and in front of them. That way you'll end up near them but a little way below them, rather than at the same altitude but a LONG way behind.

WWSensei
03-19-2006, 06:49 AM
Most have nailed the two primary reasons...AI set to cruise too fast--or the far more common--people fly with the nose too high. I seldom have trouble in not catching my AI wingies by the first waypoint but just keep repeating "speed first, then altitude" and don't try to yank back on the stick to keep your nose pointed at the rest of the flights.