PDA

View Full Version : Whisper + Post-Hiding Bonus Question

Wile E Coyoteee
11-21-2010, 12:51 PM
What is this "whisper" everyone keeps talking about? I've never played singleplayer, but I've yet to hear this online even after wearing headphones and using no mic with the music volume all the way off. How do you differentiate the sound from normal crowd chatter, and what makes it different? Is it an actual whisper, or is it just normal crowd chatter but louder? I don't get it at all. Never heard it.

Also, does anyone know for how long after you come out of hiding you're eligible for the hiding bonus? For example if you're in a crowd or on a bench and then you leave it to kill your victim, sometimes you still get the hidden bonus even though you're not hiding anymore. I can't remember where I saw or read it, but apparently there's a window where you can still get the bonus after leaving hiding. It would be vitally important to know how much time you have!

Also, what sensitivity do you guys play on? I've been toying around with 10 simply because it's easier to look for your pursuer, but sometimes if you're not very subtle you can turn way faster than an NPC and give yourself away just because of the sensitivity. Just curious!

Also, while we're here, it says firecrackers last 6 seconds. If someone's within the radius when you hit it, does it mean that they're fully blind for 6 seconds? I've been close to someone throwing it before and I was blind for a long time but didn't actually count.

obliviondoll
11-21-2010, 12:59 PM
I'm curious about the whispers too. I read a post from someone which said that they only happen when the pursuer is high-profile, but I can't find that thread any more. I know it wasn't a mod though.

For the hidden bonus, I'm fairly sure it's only a second, maybe 2 at most, and I think it has a delay before activating too. I've joined a blend group, seen the "hidden" animation, then killed a guy in the group and not got the bonus.

E-Zekiel
11-21-2010, 01:00 PM
I've been wondering about this as well. There were update notes during the beta to let people know what all feedback was taken into account and what improvements they made.

They mentioned "whispering activated when your pursuer is close". Many people (read: idiots) took that to mean that your pursuer will begin to whisper. To me, that obviously means the civilians around you will begin to whisper.

That said, I haven't heard it a single time so I dunno if they put it in or what.

obliviondoll
11-21-2010, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by E-Zekiel:
I've been wondering about this as well. There were update notes during the beta to let people know what all feedback was taken into account and what improvements they made.

They mentioned "whispering activated when your pursuer is close". Many people (read: idiots) took that to mean that your pursuer will begin to whisper. To me, that obviously means the civilians around you will begin to whisper.

That said, I haven't heard it a single time so I dunno if they put it in or what.
There was an official confirmation of whispering being the fact that your mic lets you speak to the target for a few seconds when you're close. That happened as well as people saying there are whispers.

SeekReality
11-21-2010, 01:06 PM
Ive hear whispers in single player all the time, but not in mp if i recall

KCizzll
11-21-2010, 01:22 PM
This is weird because I have the complete opposite experience. Never heard it in single player but works like a charm in multiplayer.

Wile E Coyoteee
11-21-2010, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Cronstintein:
This is weird because I have the complete opposite experience. Never heard it in single player but works like a charm in multiplayer.

Awesome.... What is it? I made the post not to know that it's there, but what it is, how it sounds, etc etc.. I explained it all in my first post.

*facepalm*

E-Zekiel
11-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Man your sig really makes me think Wily Coyote should be a multiplayer character.

CourtJestGaming
11-21-2010, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Wile_E_Coyotee:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cronstintein:

Awesome.... What is it? I made the post not to know that it's there, but what it is, how it sounds, etc etc.. I explained it all in my first post.

*facepalm* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whisper is a sound effect in the game, it slightly resembles a female voice, kinda distorted. It occurs when a pursuer of yours gets nearby

Sounds like "ssS-ss-Ss" all jarbled....But it's pretty distinctive to pick up on, and can be helpful.

Rainie
11-21-2010, 11:13 PM
I just noticed the whispering both in the sp and mp today lol. The both indicate the same thing, your opponent is getting closer. I didn't really hear it during the beginning of the sp but it's definitely there in the memory I'm doing right now

E-Zekiel
11-21-2010, 11:15 PM
Is it because it seems to blend seamlessly with the music?

Because I was thinking about it the other day and one of the tracks kinda has whispering in it, maybe that's what it was referring to.

Rainie
11-21-2010, 11:25 PM
It does, makes it sound kinda creepy lol but I think it's awesome they added that to the mp

Wile E Coyoteee
11-22-2010, 04:03 AM
I've tried everything, turned my volume up, turned the music off, and still have never picked up on it. They need to replace it with "Ch-Ch-Ch, Ah-Ah-Ah..." or something, LoL, because I just don't ever hear it!

I even took my microphone off to have both headphones on my ear and I have ones that cup your whole ear (not turtle beaches or anything), just incase it only comes in the right speaker, and I still can't hear it. At the very least I can't distinguish it from normal crowd chatter. How close does your killer have to be before you hear it?

CourtJestGaming
11-22-2010, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Wile_E_Coyotee:
I've tried everything, turned my volume up, turned the music off, and still have never picked up on it. They need to replace it with "Ch-Ch-Ch, Ah-Ah-Ah..." or something, LoL, because I just don't ever hear it!

I even took my microphone off to have both headphones on my ear and I have ones that cup your whole ear (not turtle beaches or anything), just incase it only comes in the right speaker, and I still can't hear it. At the very least I can't distinguish it from normal crowd chatter. How close does your killer have to be before you hear it?

Not too close. Usually I hear the whispers before they even turn the corner.

The noise that it makes is an Eery sound, almost like a female/young child/voice on the wind kinda thing. It's very garbled so to speak with the actual wording, but it's very noticeable if you know what you are listening for.