PDA

View Full Version : Updating java files will this do anything

CD_Turbo
01-24-2006, 11:11 AM
Hello!

I i update the "java" files in the bin folder for example do any difference?
I mean updating to the latest java release.

CD_Turbo
01-24-2006, 11:11 AM
Hello!

I i update the "java" files in the bin folder for example do any difference?
I mean updating to the latest java release.

Troll2k
01-25-2006, 01:20 PM
Maybe yes,maybe no.

A while back many people claimed an fps increase with the new java files.You could not prove it by me.

Also some people(that already had the new java) had a problem with the buttons on their user inteface.By actually going back to an older java their problem was cured.

PabloLeChuck
01-26-2006, 05:05 PM
why java in il-2?? I mean, it´s not a good lenguaje for a realistic simulator. Only c++ for BoB please... but, i don´t know what java do in the game... Maybe the Dgen? somebody know?

Badsight.
01-26-2006, 11:41 PM
when i updated to the most recent version of Java . . . .

i didnt get a FPS increase (maybe just 1 0r 2 average) , but FB ran smoother - visibly smoother

i also noticed less pauses

topolotto
01-27-2006, 05:20 AM
I've tested new java files some time ago and it seems to speed up the game. To test i've used a fly recorded with a lot of objects, flyng in formation with about 100 AI. I measured the FPS at varius video resolutions and the results whose about 5%-15% better then standard java (1.31.2 if i remember). I've tested 1.31.15 version only because newers stop running the game. The results changed and not constant so i thinked it was dependent because i've tested directx and gpl and setting one or the other alternatively. I prompted to me to repeat test using only directx or gpl for each session but at the moment i've not did it yet. I think result can change for different graphics card (i tested Geforce MX440) and changing java version can influence other parameters such net comunication among players so when anyone will make a file test that can run using virtual net players it can be the most complet test to compare versions...

Covino
01-27-2006, 04:13 PM
Yeah definetly update java and keep it updated (although Im not sure what you mean by the 'bin' folder, I wouldnt switch out any of the files in the game directory if thats what you mean). I believe the offical website is java.sun.com (not java.com). And all you need is the latest Jave Runtime Environment (JRE), not the JDK (thats for developers, not end-users).

Microsoft cut ties with Sun Java a while ago so the default version on Windows is a very old version.

hobnail
01-27-2006, 04:59 PM
Toplotto,

Can you provide a link for the 1.31.15 JRE?

Shrike_UK
01-28-2006, 02:10 PM
always get the Java run time environment from http://java.sun.com/ ,nowhere else as this is the source.

p.s. when XP was released Sun and Microsoft companies werent overly co-operative with each other http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif. but now they are more so, it just didnt all make it into XP. There are bridging technologies which are in Java and .NET developed by the co-operation of both parties which allow you to write multi-language applications thus utilising the advantages of the true application server architecture you get with J2EE with rich client windows apps.

Kuna15
01-28-2006, 05:20 PM
Should I update whole pack (old FB bin folder replace/or overwrite/ with new one from my Java folder)?

Also what about lib folders? Should they be updated (overwrite)?

CobraRonn
01-29-2006, 09:17 AM
^^As Kuna asked above?? Java says i have the "latest" JRE updates...Version 5 Update 6. I get error messages & game freezes with the "send an error message to M$"....it always involves jvm.dll. I was unaware of the jave files in the game folder,anyone have experience with updating these??? Mine are all dated 8/4/2005

topolotto
01-30-2006, 06:30 AM
you have to install java version in the dedicated folders into game directory!
the version you have installed in windows do not influence the game.
The link to download older java version is:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/download.html
you have to agree to the license to download JRE (not SDK) version i found is 1.31.17 at this moment. Other versions to test you can found them at http://java.sun.com/products/archive/
You have to choose versions from J2RE 1.3 (olders than 1.31.17) and test all them http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif))

you have to unzip the files where you want, considering only directories "bin" and "lib"!!!
So you can preceed with this steps:
first move original directories "bin" and "lib" into another backup directory like "JAVA 1.3 ORIGINAL" and copy new directories into tha game root. You can have differents versions ready to test: JAVA 1.3.15 and JAVA 1.3.17 for example copyng lib and bin directories into root game directory each time you want.

topolotto
01-30-2006, 06:37 AM
In the past i did an utility software to play older il2 version from one only directory saving space in my hd. At this moment i can play ALL versions starting from IL2 sturmovik 1.0 to last PF 4.02m or Stand Alone Without installing or deinstalling nothing. I can Install patches and play with previus patch if i want. I could do the same to test java versions but i stopped my job because it seems to be not usefull for people.

jermin122
01-30-2006, 08:38 AM
Isn't the latest version 1.5.0.06?
https://sdlcweb3c.sun.com/ECom/EComActionServlet/Downlo...8CAD5E710D9CF87F4255 (https://sdlcweb3c.sun.com/ECom/EComActionServlet/DownloadPage:%7E:com.sun.sunit.sdlc.content.Downlo adPageInfo;jsessionid=5EBF4E3415E58CAD5E710D9CF87F 4255;jsessionid=5EBF4E3415E58CAD5E710D9CF87F4255)

jermin122
01-30-2006, 09:07 AM
OK, I tested both 1.5.0.06 and 1.31.17 (just copy bin and lib folders to the game dir), the game wont start.

Hawgdog
01-30-2006, 09:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jermin122:
Isn't the latest version 1.5.0.06?
[URL=https:255;jsc.sun.com/EnS255[/URL] </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats what mine says Version 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_06-b05)

anyone?

jermin122
01-30-2006, 10:12 AM
Found reason. Topolotto has said that newer version after 1.31 wont support this game. Had replaced the bin the lib folder with new ones. Update successfully!

Kuna15
01-30-2006, 10:27 AM
So what, J2SE v 1.3.1_17 is the one that is the 'newest'?
Is that the one that game should be updated to?

Nothing newer works?

topolotto
01-30-2006, 10:56 AM
Because in newer versions, sun has changed some commands so they aren't compatibles.
IL2 is mixed based of java and c (++)? so when java commands are called they need differents options from base version.
I think that if java 1.31 became 1.31.17 there are some reasons: i think about general improvements respect to early versions. Only test can say if it is true or not. Versions 1.4 and newer 1.5 has changed because are different versions so are incompatibles with 1.31 software.
The only thing to do is to install better releases of the same version (that's is what I thik, but may be not right). The 1.31 files are declared at the end of life from one year or plus but looking for 1.31.15 release i found newer 1.31.17!!! I can't understand but i'm happy about it bye bye

jermin122
01-30-2006, 11:28 AM
I have tested 1.31.17, only 1 fps increase in kamikaze track, but the game became smoother. Any one has tested 1.31.15?

Hawgdog
01-30-2006, 11:32 AM
buggers..now I'm completely confused.

CobraRonn
01-31-2006, 09:39 AM
Wow!! I was having many errors/freezes/etc. due to jvm errors. I downloaded jre 1.31.17 & did the unzipping to a folder on my desktop [WinXP Pro]& did not allow it to install to my browser either [as i am running the "latest" for everything else].I renamed the bin & lib files in my stand-alone version of Pacific Fighters [it's a D2D download]....i then copied/pasted the 1.13.17 bin & lib folders into my PF main folder. Rebooted & started the game. Wow!! I 'normally' have the frozen cursor problem & have to do the "windows" key trick to unfreeze....no longer a problem!! Starting up an offline campaign.....the "stuttering" i was experiencing was completely gone....when changing views,bringing up map,etc!!!! I also was having problems with "applying" mission results that would often result in game freezes & sending the error report to M$ about the jvm.dll !! That's gone too!!! My game would also take a long period of time to "quit"...it's literally instantaneous [sp??]now!! I can't believe the difference it's made to my game!?!? Thanks to the posters here!!! I'm going to try this with my IL2FB + AEP install & see if any difference is noticed there. Thanks again!!!