PDA

View Full Version : what are best ways to maneuver AC to spot enemy?

dashman
01-11-2010, 01:41 PM
I looked at a bunch of old threads to find this and only saw a hint or two of what I'm really asking here:

With icons either on or off, is it best to roll wings and look below, is it OK to nose down and look? I realize E is a consideration, but is one maneuver better than the other, or are there other less obvious (to me) ways?

Thanks.

Choctaw111
01-11-2010, 02:21 PM
I fly a zigzag pattern and keep looking over my shoulder.
Doing this makes it nearly impossible for an enemy to sneak up on you from behind.
This works even better with a wingman. Each of you zigzags opposite of each other in a weave like pattern.

ytareh
01-11-2010, 02:33 PM
Set monitor resolution to 1024x768 end of...

Ba5tard5word
01-11-2010, 02:38 PM
I usually tip my nose up and to the left or right and roll my wing to the opposite side and look down and around. Also if I'm not engaging an enemy I'm usually at cruise speed with rads opened so losing speed isn't really an issue if it helps me avoid getting jumped, though my main concern is not stalling out.

HayateAce
01-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Another tip:

Divide your scanning into quadrants, and while viewing each one, stop moving your hat switch (or TiR) so your glance is stationary. Often you will pick up targets moving through that you might have missed had you been continually panning.

dashman
01-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Thanks, All,

I've been wondering about the nose down/look around thing, since you lose some altitude doing that, so nose up and dropping wings might be a good alternative.

Not sure about using the zig-zag on missions (offline) since you have to often-times keep up with AI, but that certainly would work (and sort of has to be done when accompanying slow bombers). I guess once you're at a target and not having to keep up you can zig all over the place.

ytareh: what?

dashman
01-11-2010, 04:38 PM
quadrant scan is also good - saw something like that referred to in older threads I searched.

Stiletto-
01-11-2010, 04:43 PM
AI cheat, and I am not talking about just how fast they go compared to the players plane.. Though if you want to play that way, as soon as they reach their target altitude for that waypoint they should slow down to a cruise and then you can start scanning the skies in a zig zag pattern then. You will probably be in safe territory during the climb anyways, and also the squadron can usually spot the enemy with eagle eye precision, making scanning the skies somewhat irrelevany ofline.

You could also be the flight leader so that just follow you, and they will still inform you if they see bandits. But as stated the AI cheats, they see you through clouds, etc.. So I wouldn't feel too guilty about using the F6 key if you are offline.

dashman
01-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Alright, forgive my ignorance,

I have, off and on, used Padlock to track enemy AC. It is, as I have seen others say, a little difficult to use, as all of a sudden your neck is twisting to follow an AC that is dipping below you.

I saw in the threads I was searching through about this topic that Oleg put no small amount of thought and effort into the whole Padlock concept, so I accept that it is a legit thing to use.

I did try to use it today and noticed that the F6 did not show the green triangle, but rather put me in an external view, showing enemy AC wherever they were in close proximity to me.

What's the diff in what I was used to seeing with the triangle and with what I see now?

megalopsuche
01-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by ytareh:

Blegh, so ugly.

Erkki_M
01-12-2010, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by dashman:
Thanks, All,

I've been wondering about the nose down/look around thing, since you lose some altitude doing that, so nose up and dropping wings might be a good alternative.

Not sure about using the zig-zag on missions (offline) since you have to often-times keep up with AI, but that certainly would work (and sort of has to be done when accompanying slow bombers). I guess once you're at a target and not having to keep up you can zig all over the place.

Never nose up. You will lose some altitude(max a few hundred meters once you've scanned all the space around you), but its better than losing speed: online, in an area that even _might_ have enemies, losing altitude is better than climbing and finding out your air speed is 250kmph and you have an FW190 at your low six pulling/just about to pull out of his low bounce, approaching you 700kmph. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Pushing nose down a bit also helps you see to your high 6. Low and level 6 are usually not quite as important: you have plenty of time(if you keep your speed up) to see a bad guy there, and to think what to do with him. Unless if you have just done some hard maneuvering and are out of speed, or if that bad guy there has just bounced you from a higher altitude and has dropped himself below you, to the blind spot in your low 6. Keep your eyes open: he will be more or less at the same altitude with your for seconds. Its a good idea to check ALL around you every once in a while, but usually, and to also keep the speed and altitude, only the most important directions are needed.

Also, to check low 6, dont pull up but nose down, and turn a bit... Similarly when checking low 10-12, 12-4, dont nose down but keep it level or slightly upwards(after checking six...), turn and roll a bit.

It takes time to develope scanning methods... Usually new people tend to focus too much on just one area, looking at details in the ground and generally looking too much to the unrelevant directions(ie straight up and or down, ahead, paranoically checking six). Developing SA(situational awareness) is as flying - practice, practice, and more practice!

Romanator21
01-12-2010, 02:01 AM
It may also help to go into side slips if you want to check your direct six. S-turns accomplish the same thing.

skarden
01-12-2010, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by Romanator21:
It may also help to go into side slips if you want to check your direct six. S-turns accomplish the same thing.

Yeah I do this also,I'll Roll one direction the apply rudder in the same direction which flicks the tail out a little enabling you to see your low six,then of course repeat for the other side.

works quiet well.

SeaFireLIV
01-12-2010, 05:13 AM
It all seems common sense to me: look around while you`re flying, manouver your plane to see areas you can`t see. Have a good situation awareness. That`s it. Get a wingman if you need more.

dashman
01-12-2010, 05:26 AM
Well, I always did the nose down thing, but started wondering if it was best to do. Also have been hung up on not losing air speed by maneuvering so much, but I guess it's best to lose some speed and see the enemy 'cause if you don't see them you're gonna' lose all kinds of speed permanently, eh?

dashman
01-12-2010, 12:50 PM
mis-spoke, meant to say:

...guess it's best to lose some *altitude*...you're gonna' lose all kinds of *altitude* permanently, eh?

Oh, well, bet THAT was lost in translation http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

TheFamilyMan
01-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by megalopsuche:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ytareh:

Blegh, so ugly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I too find this 1024x768 'advice' of no value, especially from one that uses a 2560x1600 30" Dell (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/7291014518?r=2241080618#2241080618) monitor. I hope it was a joke, otherwise on that display 1024x768 probably looks like 'Lego IL-2'.

TooCooL34
01-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Good trim for smooth zigzag pattern + 6dof + rudder pedals should do the trick easy.

K_Freddie
01-12-2010, 03:10 PM
When in a dogfight, if yo lose sight of your opponent just go around in a circle - It's a difficult move to target from below or above, and if the opponent is level you'll spot him quickly.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

dashman
01-13-2010, 05:35 AM
Really? In a circle?

SeaFireLIV
01-13-2010, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by dashman:
Really? In a circle?

Yes. If you`re REALLY worried about a bogey you can`t see or has an advantage on you, circling can work well to spot the enemy and keep him in sight. It was used often by the Russians to sometimes keep high 109s at bay...although this was usually with a wingman. A squadm8 and I used this a few times with I16s on an open server to test, it worked pretty well, but needs constant co-ordination.

It can be done alone with the obvious risks.

It`s not perfect though, nothing is. For instance, you can`t just keep circling like a nut forever.

jamesblonde1979
01-13-2010, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:

Yes. If you`re REALLY worried about a bogey you can`t see or has an advantage on you, circling can work well to spot the enemy and keep him in sight. It was used often by the Russians to sometimes keep high 109s at bay...although this was usually with a wingman. A squadm8 and I used this a few times with I16s on an open server to test, it worked pretty well, but needs constant co-ordination.

It`s not perfect though, nothing is. For instance, you can`t just keep circling like a nut forever.

I have done this also under similar circumstances, my wingman and I had the idea of firing a few bursts to lure the 109 down.

Worked like a charm, he thought we were all fixated, came in overconfident and got vapourised.

SeaFireLIV
01-13-2010, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by jamesblonde1979:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:

I have done this also under similar circumstances, my wingman and I had the idea of firing a few bursts to lure the 109 down.

Worked like a charm, he thought we were all fixated, came in overconfident and got vapourised. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you sure you weren`t my wingman? that trick would work with us too!