PDA

View Full Version : Tracers

Breeze147
11-29-2005, 07:48 AM
I just finished the British B-17 gunner mission in Call Of Duty: United Offensive. Yeah, yeah, it's hokey and inaccurate, blah-blah, woof-woof.

My question is the tracer effect. I could see where my deflection shots were going. I have never seen my own tracers in IL-2. I see smoke trails from my aircraft, but I have never seen a trail of tracers. I see them from other planes, I can see them miles away when flying to a target, I sure as hell see the enemie's tracers when he's on my six.

Never seen my own. Am I missing something?

BaldieJr
11-29-2005, 09:14 AM
Tracers are arcade.

AWL_Tonedog
11-29-2005, 09:57 AM
You've obviously never flown the I-16 hell you will get tracers in that!

A good gunner never marks a target by following tracers. I always calculate lead distance and range using the gunsight and calculating speed vs. angle as to where and when to fire.

Cheers, Tonedog.

BSS_CUDA
11-29-2005, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by AWL_Tonedog:

A good gunner never marks a target by following tracers. I always calculate lead distance and range using the gunsight and calculating speed vs. angle as to where and when to fire.

Cheers, Tonedog.

thats a crock, http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Bud Anderson spoke often of how he would walk his tracers down a target. tracers are there for a purpose, they let you know where your shots are going in comparison to where you aim, it is VERY difficult in a hard deflection shot to tell if your shooting infront or behind your target. and its only the red tracers that you cannot see from dead 6.
all red tracers are good for is as a fireworks display to alert every blue in the area that one of their pals is being shot at http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

polak5
11-30-2005, 12:59 AM
first of all let me say that im jealous becouse u have COD.
I dont use tracers for directing target unless its in a stuka or a tb3. not in american bombers dough.

Monson74
11-30-2005, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by BSS_CUDA:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AWL_Tonedog:

Cheers, Tonedog.

thats a crock, http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Bud Anderson spoke often of how he would walk his tracers down a target. tracers are there for a purpose, they let you know where your shots are going in comparison to where you aim, it is VERY difficult in a hard deflection shot to tell if your shooting infront or behind your target. and its only the red tracers that you cannot see from dead 6.
all red tracers are good for is as a fireworks display to alert every blue in the area that one of their pals is being shot at http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Strange. I find the .50 tracers very useful but of course this is a subjective matter. ATM I'm learning to fly & fight in the 51 & the only complaint I can think of is the guns being synced. You fly the 38, don't you? Perhaps it's more difficult with nose guns. Dunno.

nakamura_kenji
11-30-2005, 04:00 AM
not tracer and no tracer round have different ballestic property due weight ect. think read somewhere can often have tracer hit but other round miss because ballestic different and opposite otehr round hit but no tracer. though maybe close range no matter as both somewhat flat trajectory 100m

AWL_Tonedog
11-30-2005, 06:10 AM
I find tracer following a total waste of ammo tbh.

so its not a crock. Just my own technique.
I have read many pilot accounts that say this is a bad plan to follow tracer fire and a total waste of precious ammo.

I tend to burst fire, and 9 out of 10 times in a turning fight deflection shooting will result in the shots falling behind the target, if this is the case re-aim and fire again without a constant stream of wasted ammo. If your shots are in front of them you tend to not be able to see the target anyway (which incedentally may be required in some cases of deflection at tight angles).

well at least this was the case last time i checked.

Anyway I'm not suggesting this is how everyone should shoot at enemy planes, It has been largely successful for me. With this technique I have shot down 4 FW190's in a Spit MKv in the past. And this was in VOW2 not DF or AI 1player.

Cheers Tonedog.
p.s. I suggest you look into a variety of pilot memoirs and not just take one example.