PDA

View Full Version : Flying the Yaks at high altitude??

Zetler
12-10-2006, 12:56 AM
Hi folks, noob here with a totally noob question. How do I go about flying my Yak-9 to intercept Axis planes at around 3000 meters and up? Whenever I climb up that high and start dogfighting my engine would start smoking and after a while my plane starts losing power like the engine burned out or something...but I didn't get any engine over heat message. Yet all the AI Yaks seems to be operating fine at that altitude, what gives?? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

3.JG51_BigBear
12-10-2006, 01:43 AM
Lower your fuel mixture. You may need to map a key for it, I don't remember if there is a default or not.

Zetler
12-10-2006, 02:33 AM
Is there a certain setting I should lower it to and what if I'm flying at low altitude with a low fuel mixture?

Hanglands
12-10-2006, 02:55 AM
Hi,

Switch your super sharger to second stage at an altitude of 2000m to 2200m.

At around 3200m drop your mixture and prop pitch to 80%.

You may need to bind keys for pitch and mixture. I have mine so throttle is =0, 1=10%, 5=50% etc.

then shift and =0% pitch, shift and 5=50% pitch etc.

and ALT and =0% mixture, ALT and 5=50% mixture etc.

The aircrafts performance will start to deteriorate above 4500m.

As you descend to low alitude, you will need to increase pitch, and mixture back to normal, and also the supercharger too. Switch them back on the way down at the same altitudes as when you were on the way up.

Regards.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m203/ChickenHawk_2006/logoHH.jpg (http://www.geocities.com/hanglands/)

Treetop64
12-10-2006, 07:45 AM
Yep, what those guys said.

However, I have to respectfully disagree with Highland's use of the propeller. The only reason to adjust the porpeller pitch at all, at least for piston engines (as opposed to turbo props), is to govern the engine RPMs in a cruise situation.

When flying a piston propeller engine in cruise, in a real life situation anyway, you'll want to economise the operation of the engine as much as possible. First, to save fuel, and second, to reduce wear and tear on the engine. You do this by reducing the throttle and prop RPMs, as well as the fuel mixture, to a setting best suited for cruise at a particular altitude. You could run at high thorttle and max RPMs, but your fuel expenditure will greatly escalate, and you're unessasarily making the engine work harder. For financial and safety reasons that are obvious, you 'll want to avoid that situation as much as possible.

Though you won't be doing a whole lot of long-range cruising in FB, a lot of the same really applies, especially if you have engine overheat turned on. I argue that the only reason to reduce prop RPMs in the game is to configure the aircraft for cruise, and in this game even that isn't terribly nessesary. If you're climbing, or in any tactical situation (i.e. about to, or already in, a fight), always leave your propeller at max RPMs (only for aircraft equipped with constant-speed propellers).

It takes some work to fly many of the Russian planes, so if you're going to go up high in them you might want to learn a thing or two about fuel mixture and why it's important. The supercharger is equally important at high altitude.

Many make the mistake in thinking that the supercharger, in planes that are equipped with them, are some sort of Need for Speed type of power boost, and it isn't. They only help maintain , as much as possible, the same level of pressure in the manifold at high altitude as it has at low altitudes. They are pretty much ineffective at low atitudes.

Have fun!<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

------------------------------
"It breaks my heart, but I am almost certain that raaaid will get the Nobel Prize in physics before we get the Avenger in PF."
-- Zeus-cat

Treetop64
12-10-2006, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Hanglands:
Switch your super sharger...

Dood, what the hell is a super sharger? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

"It breaks my heart, but I am almost certain that raaaid will get the Nobel Prize in physics before we get the Avenger in PF."
-- Zeus-cat

tigertalon
12-10-2006, 10:19 PM
Also, reading this (http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/FB/fb_cem.htm) may help.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

<span class="ev_code_BLACK"><pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">?In the size of the lie there is always contained a certain factor of credibility,

OMK_Hand
12-12-2006, 03:54 AM
Hi Zetler.

Generally, rpm, if set too high for too long with high power appears to contribute definitely towards a rapid engine overheat, and maybe towards other uncontrollable bad things, which can be an embarrassment where they crop up in combat.

Where one can, it pays to keep a reserve of performance for when one desperately needs it. Adjusting the rpm, ideally using an rpm setting relevant to the current power setting helps to keeps things under control.

Commonly, there are take off settings, climb settings (in some types these are also used for combat) maximum continous operation settings (sometimes the same a climb), emergency settings (all things equal used sparingly in combat), and cruise settings. 'Low throttle/rpm' does not always result in 'low speed'. Often, a high level speed established at climb settings can be maintained with reduced cruise settings, running a cool engine ready for the extremes of combat.

This relationship ? power/rpm ? varies quite a bit between types, so it make?s an interesting project to try to find them all out. High rpm usually has a short time limit attached to it?s use, beyond which you?re starting to fight your aircraft as well as the enemy.

It depends how far you want to go. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

OMK_Handsome

Keep the Faith.