PDA

View Full Version : Advice on joysticks

liamjohn
01-23-2007, 10:25 AM
hi guys ,I just bought a copy of 1946 and Im using my keyboard at the moment , I was just wondering what joystick would be the best to go for ,I would be intrested In force feedback ! and have a budget of about 150 euros .
thanks liam

Pollack2006
01-23-2007, 10:35 AM
The Saitek Evo Force is probably your best bet. Saitek are a good brand and it'll do everything you want. I would avoid Logitech; initially they feel great but they soon go wrong for one reason or another.

You'll probably get a few people telling you about expensive throttle and stick solutions (CH-Products, Cougar, X52 etc) or recommending old joysticks on e-bay (Microsoft FFB2). Don't listen to them....if you're new to flightsimming buy a cheap joystick and then if you get hooked you can up-grade to the more 'professional' equipment. There's no point in splashing a ton of cash on something if you're never going to see the benefit.

bazzaah2
01-23-2007, 10:35 AM
not sure what's available in force feedback these days but you might be able to get a non-force feedback product from CH with that money. Very solid and durable and quite popular around here and you can make/get some good profiles with Control Manager. I've had a Combatstick for years and it's been great.

liamjohn
01-23-2007, 10:46 AM
The Saitek Evo Force

cheers guys ,Im gonna go check them out ,flying with a keyboard isnt cutting the cake for me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

TgD Thunderbolt56
01-23-2007, 10:48 AM
Pollack2006 has given some good advice. CH is the best but it's also a bit more pricey with a full HOTAS (i.e. stick, throttle, pedals) setup running you about $300USD.

Since you're interested in forcefeedback, the Saitek force evo should work well. After that, if you like the Saitek, then you should be able to easily transition to the X52 which is considerably more capable than the evo and doesn't require pedals since it has a twist rudder function. It's also only about $125USD.

Other than that, I can make a strong recommendation for a TrackIR4. With a good joystick, the addition of a TrackIR greatly improves the immersion and likewise the enjoyment you'll get from ANY simulation.

TB

KaleunFreddie
01-23-2007, 10:48 AM
I'd recommend the Saitek X52 for one simple but very important reason...
It has contactless X & Y axis sensors on the joystick. This makes the stick last ideally for ever, as you'll find that with almost all other sticks, that have potentiometers (pots) as X/Y sensors, will everntually break or go out of calibration. Most suppliers are reluctant to supply these pots (Saitek supplied for my X45 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif).

When you first start with this game you will literally be wrenching the stick from it's socket, and it will not last very long... 3 or 4 months.

Now I'll contact Saitek for my commission http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

No seriously.. this is good value for buckazoid!

Huxley_S
01-23-2007, 04:44 PM
I just bought a Logitech Wingman Force 3D to replace a Saitek 3D Rumble Stick with a broken trigger.

For me, Force Feedback is a necessity not an option. I want to feel those bumps on the runway, turbulence and stalls in the air, the rumble of my cannons and even/especially the dreaded sensation of bullets striking my fuselage from an unseen attacker.

If you play combat simulators with any of the Force Feedback sticks on the market today, you're going to break them. They're simply not durable, precision hardware but cheap consumer products.

My Saitek stick served me well, with excellent Force Feedback effects, and I would recommend their products with certain caveats.

This Logitech stick has been around for years but is still supported on their website which is good. It feels very different to the Saitek stick, it's a lot looser which meant some time consuming tweaking in the IL2 hardware setup to adjust the sensitivity and dead banding so that your plane doesn't lurch all over the place when you pull the trigger.

I also found that having the Logitech driver software running in the background impacted on framerates, so I uninstalled it and used Windows Device Manager to install the driver only. That worked but the ability to control the level of the Force Feedback was lost. However, I like the way it feels now. It's more 'mechanical' feeling than the Saitek stick, like the stick is connected to pullies and levers, which is kind of what you want from a WWII sim.

And, since it only cost about 25 Euros, when it inevitably breaks, I won't cry too much.

Also, whatever joystick you buy, I recommend downloading this very useful bit of freeware, JoyToKey (http://www.electracode.com/4/joy2key/JoyToKey%20English%20Version.htm) .

It lets you map your POV hatswitch on your stick to the movement of your mouse, which gives you much greater control over looking around your cockpit, if you don't have TrackIR that is.

CRO_Adriatic
01-23-2007, 05:51 PM
Saitek yes.
Logitech no! (also great but work's mostly only 3 months)