PDA

View Full Version : Feel like I need a history lesson...

M3NACE2007
11-29-2007, 11:07 PM
Hey all... I'm about 4 or so hours in. So far AC is a lot of fun... great graphics, contextual music, etc. But... as I listen to the preacher preach out in the crowds, talk to my fellow assassins, and perform investigations... I realize I don't know ANYTHING about the third crusade.

Not understanind the setting means not understanding the plot... which makes for a less immersive game. Can anyone help here?

1. How is the "starting city" related to the other Cities like Jerusalem? Are they allies? Enemies?

2. Who--ultimately--is the antaganist? What nation or faction or religion?

3. Who are the templars, and why do they attack on sight?

4. (Especially confused on this...) Why do guards out in the Kindgom (out and about) always attack on site, but city guards do not?

5. Any other background info that might help me better undertand the setting and the conflict.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

MammothWaffle
11-29-2007, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by M3NACE2007:

1. How is the "starting city" related to the other Cities like Jerusalem? Are they allies? Enemies?

4. (Especially confused on this...) Why do guards out in the Kindgom (out and about) always attack on site, but city guards do not?

5. Any other background info that might help me better undertand the setting and the conflict.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

1. They are neutral/hostile i guess considering the assassin's don't favor sides but do kill either

2. During the third crusade i believe it was king richard vs saladin or however you spell it... saladin had control of jerusalem at the time (also as seen at the ending of the movie "Kingdom of Heaven") and richard wanted it back for christianity

3. The templars are a group/faction w/e you wanna call them that work under the rule of king richard, however the plot goes much deeper than that in this game. I don't want to give anything away.

4. Guards in the kingdom are supposed to be wary of any suspicious travelers so if your zooming by on your horse...

5. Well... thats pretty much all you need to know about the crusades as far as the game goes, just listen in on the main storyline/plot and you'll enjoy the game.

happy gaming, hope this post helped :P

scotty0351
11-29-2007, 11:22 PM
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04543c.htm#IV

M3NACE2007
11-29-2007, 11:53 PM
Thanks--that did help.

Still though, I don't understand why guards in the kingdom attack on sight unless your blended. Even if you don't go high profile (IE: stay socially acceptable) they will attack. Are these King Richard's soldiors who immediately identify me as a jew/muslim/w/e?

Also... to clarify the state of the land at the time... are these cities being occupied by King Richard?

Thx again. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

dirtybird21
11-29-2007, 11:55 PM
The kingdom is basically a big war zone between the crusaders and saracens... So they are ALWAYS on the "alert" status (already holding their sword) and any guard in "alert" status will attack you immediatly off of any suspisions... And only acre is occupied by richard at this time...

EDIT: Btw i'm glad you like the game, Especially enough 2 try and learn about the crusades. Hope you have fun with the rest of the game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

M3NACE2007
11-30-2007, 12:13 AM
Thanks--that does help!

So--the sacarens live in Jerusalem, Acrin, etc.... King Richard is trying to invade and reclaim... the guards in the kingdom are Saracen guards/soldiors. (Right?)

I take it the brotherhood of assassins is definitely against the crusaders.... and corrupt/evil saracens.

I'm just trying to fully understand. Running around killing people by itself isn't fun--I need to know whats going on. (Story elements are my favorite part of games). IE: "What's my motivation?"
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

dirtybird21
11-30-2007, 12:30 AM
The Saracens are in Damascus and Jerusalem (which was just recently taken back from the crusaders) And the crusaders are in Acre... And in the kingdom it's a mix between them, Depending on what side of the kingdom you're on you'll see either saracen guards or crusader guards... And there is no real good or bad side in this game, Not even the assassins (i wont say any more or else it would ruin the story) but essentially... You assassinate leaders from both sides of the war that benefit from the war, So the Assassins are against both crusaders and saracens... infact King Richard after awhile seems like the only clear-cut "good" guy lol. You never really see Saladin. It's much like real life, "Good" and "Bad" in this game is just a matter of perspective...

If you're looking for a story, This game defenetly delivers, It is so intense and twisting near the end, And you start 2 piece together little things till the end... And don't forget 2 talk with Lucy every chance you get and every time you see vidic (the doctor) near the windows looking out.. always go near him and press a button... Something interesting might happen...

Destrier
11-30-2007, 12:57 PM
Yes its an interesting time. In fact if you listen to the Europeans in the game you can hear they are French, English and German just like the main protagonists of the campaign. I think its the guards outside the newly captured Acre which speak German or with a German accent. The Templars seem French from memory ( I havent played for a few days since i got Guitar hero 3 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)

As for the Assassins in the game in reality they worked for either side. Basically to further their own political ideals. Its thought that Conrad, King of Jerusalem was killed on Richards orders by assassins!!

The funniest and perhaps something no one will want to talk about is that the Assassins of the Crusade were like our modern day suicide bombers. So in a way we are playing an anti hero.

They just had no explosives. The aim was to get in and kill whichever leader with no care for their own life, in most cases they would be killed on the spot after the assassination but they didnt care as their beliefs told them they would be with the 40? virgins. I forget the number...

Ps thats mainly the reason why you dont have any real allies. Each group will attack you on sight if you get too close and they realise who you are. Also as said earlier their is a war going on so anyone acting suspiciously will be attacked. In those days there were not the same state of laws as we have now to protect people.

PPS your starting "city" is the assassins stronghold which did also exsist in real life and was sieged by Salahadin at one point but it wasnt where it is in the game as far as i remember, i will have to check in my books!

Dunno
12-01-2007, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by M3NACE2007:
Hey all... I'm about 4 or so hours in. So far AC is a lot of fun... great graphics, contextual music, etc. But... as I listen to the preacher preach out in the crowds, talk to my fellow assassins, and perform investigations... I realize I don't know ANYTHING about the third crusade.

Not understanind the setting means not understanding the plot... which makes for a less immersive game. Can anyone help here?

Msyaf is composed of all middle-eastern people, if that gives you a perspective.

The Antagonist is everything that moves. If you can stab it, do so. This has been a spoiler.

Templars are christian raiders from Europe. They attack you on sight because you stab them.

You'll find out later. City guards are dumbed down so you can climb stuff. Not all kingdom guards will attack on sight if you don't run them over.

Just try to follow the storyline. It is not true history, rather a kind of spoof.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help![/QUOTE]

dirtybird21
12-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Most of the story in the game is historical fact though, And most of the things that aren't, COULD be, Everyone you assassinate died in 1191 for unknown reasons. The assassins were real, Templars were real. And the cities were done very realistically. So everything in this game actually has a chance 2 be real.