PDA

View Full Version : Online Server Improvement Request

XyZspineZyX
08-17-2003, 09:30 AM
I'd like to make a sincere request for seeing certain aspects of the game improved, namely online hosting and the ability to control what happens in a server.

For a while now the influx of disruptive players has become increasingly apparent, in part due to the strong popularity of the game. While the goal of any publisher is to increase the popularity of their games, that popularity does not come without it's own share of problems.

In the area of online servers, hosts are in many ways unable to stop malicious players from ruining the online experience. People come to fly and have fun and not to be teamkilled by those who have nothing better to do.

What we need is a stronger system of administering online servers and stronger ways to prevent poor sports from interfering with gameplay.

To be able to effectively ban by IP address is a necessity in online gaming simply because many abusers when kicked will either continue to log back into the server or come back in under a different name to continue their escapades. We can all sit at the server and manually ban them but that degenerates into a contest of wills...who is going to have the stamina to see it through. In the event that the host wins, he or she has still wasted time and effort and endured unnecessary frustration dealing with the offender and very often, the offender is so bad the host has to shut down the server completely.

We've all seen a number of games that are able to deal with this problem simply and effectively...look at any major first person shooter out there and you will see what I mean. They have robust authority to kick and ban by name and IP and the incidence of constant troublemakers is in many ways eliminated.

Tribes 2 comes to mind as the one game that stands out in my experience as having the most solid admin tools in online gaming. For what it's worth, I would like to make a suggestion to take a good look at it's design and evaluate whether any of those aspects can be incorporated into FB. Tribes was designed as an online only game, hence everything about it is designed from the perspective of the community, there is no offline module similar to Half Life for example and therefore it is in many ways much more efficient than other first person shooters. It has the added advantage of not only registering an individual player name online, but of registering a squad's name as well. The registered owner has total control of membership and can invite or dismiss as required. In one fell swoop, the other lesser problem of people pretending to be part of a squad in order to damage their credibility is eliminated, preventing would be troublemakers from causing harm in that way.

This sim has a considerable number of successful squads, our currency in many ways is our credibility and our reputation.We all hate to see bad players or former members with a grudge taking time out of their busy day of heck raising to try and degrade the squads name...because of the number of online squads present in the community, I would like to think such a change could be implemented. I also think that we've all most likely heard or seen of such incidents and as a founding member of a squad, I would appreciate more control over what happens with the name that we created and have been proud to fly under.

The dedicated console server issue has been brought up numerous times in the past year. Without going into the details again I'd like to once more stress the importance of having it readily available to the community. While I do not presume to know how the publishing business works, I do know that the success of the two most popular online games (CounterStrike and Unreal Tournament) is absolutely related to the ease of use and availability of the dedicated console server...not the quality of the game itself. By making the server free and simple, everyone and their brother was able to host an online game, and they did so. While we can host games to our hearts content with FB, we are rather more limited by the lack of the console version...we require more powerful hardware, faster connections and lack the tools needed to let the servers run hands off. This means that a smaller group of people are able to run servers such as this, which means that fewer people have a constant place to play and the community is prevented from becoming as large as it might be. Somewhere down the line this also translates into less revenue I'm sure.

The netcode issues with the original game have been greatly improved. With the right things added, the game could potentially become as large as any of the first person shooters...the game is simply that good. I see the possibility of what the game can become with a little tweaking to optimize it for online play. In my experience with many games online play is where it's at but while the game has been a huge success for the offline player, why not take an extra step and drive it farther into online gaming as well?

With the effort devoted into this fine sim, I would sincerely hope that we can have stronger admin tools made available to the community so we can eliminate many of our worst problems. For those of us who attempt to run 'dedicated' servers with high uptime, very often the stress created by being targeted by troublemakers outweighs the positive effects of hosting for the community...and the community is then diminished because of a few bad apples. If the problem becomes widespread enough, the game as a whole will suffer, sales will inevitably drop and revenue will be decreased...something I would suspect that most publishers would not be happy with. The success of popularity in any form will eventually result in being targeted by that minority of people who seek to bring down what that very success, therefore I strongly request for my post to be seriously considered.

I am making a sincere plea for stronger and more effective tools to help keep the game where it should be...the best simulation out there. I realize that UBI and 1C/Maddox have their hands full and resources are limited, but by improving the game in this area I genuinely feel at some point it will bring about the proper reward and strengthen the community in the process. I can't see how that can be anything but a positive thing for the game.

Very sincerely,

TX-Zen
Black 6
TX Squadron CO
http://www.txsquadron.com
clyndes@hotmail.com (IM only)

XyZspineZyX
08-17-2003, 09:30 AM
I'd like to make a sincere request for seeing certain aspects of the game improved, namely online hosting and the ability to control what happens in a server.

For a while now the influx of disruptive players has become increasingly apparent, in part due to the strong popularity of the game. While the goal of any publisher is to increase the popularity of their games, that popularity does not come without it's own share of problems.

In the area of online servers, hosts are in many ways unable to stop malicious players from ruining the online experience. People come to fly and have fun and not to be teamkilled by those who have nothing better to do.

What we need is a stronger system of administering online servers and stronger ways to prevent poor sports from interfering with gameplay.

To be able to effectively ban by IP address is a necessity in online gaming simply because many abusers when kicked will either continue to log back into the server or come back in under a different name to continue their escapades. We can all sit at the server and manually ban them but that degenerates into a contest of wills...who is going to have the stamina to see it through. In the event that the host wins, he or she has still wasted time and effort and endured unnecessary frustration dealing with the offender and very often, the offender is so bad the host has to shut down the server completely.

We've all seen a number of games that are able to deal with this problem simply and effectively...look at any major first person shooter out there and you will see what I mean. They have robust authority to kick and ban by name and IP and the incidence of constant troublemakers is in many ways eliminated.

Tribes 2 comes to mind as the one game that stands out in my experience as having the most solid admin tools in online gaming. For what it's worth, I would like to make a suggestion to take a good look at it's design and evaluate whether any of those aspects can be incorporated into FB. Tribes was designed as an online only game, hence everything about it is designed from the perspective of the community, there is no offline module similar to Half Life for example and therefore it is in many ways much more efficient than other first person shooters. It has the added advantage of not only registering an individual player name online, but of registering a squad's name as well. The registered owner has total control of membership and can invite or dismiss as required. In one fell swoop, the other lesser problem of people pretending to be part of a squad in order to damage their credibility is eliminated, preventing would be troublemakers from causing harm in that way.

This sim has a considerable number of successful squads, our currency in many ways is our credibility and our reputation.We all hate to see bad players or former members with a grudge taking time out of their busy day of heck raising to try and degrade the squads name...because of the number of online squads present in the community, I would like to think such a change could be implemented. I also think that we've all most likely heard or seen of such incidents and as a founding member of a squad, I would appreciate more control over what happens with the name that we created and have been proud to fly under.

The dedicated console server issue has been brought up numerous times in the past year. Without going into the details again I'd like to once more stress the importance of having it readily available to the community. While I do not presume to know how the publishing business works, I do know that the success of the two most popular online games (CounterStrike and Unreal Tournament) is absolutely related to the ease of use and availability of the dedicated console server...not the quality of the game itself. By making the server free and simple, everyone and their brother was able to host an online game, and they did so. While we can host games to our hearts content with FB, we are rather more limited by the lack of the console version...we require more powerful hardware, faster connections and lack the tools needed to let the servers run hands off. This means that a smaller group of people are able to run servers such as this, which means that fewer people have a constant place to play and the community is prevented from becoming as large as it might be. Somewhere down the line this also translates into less revenue I'm sure.

The netcode issues with the original game have been greatly improved. With the right things added, the game could potentially become as large as any of the first person shooters...the game is simply that good. I see the possibility of what the game can become with a little tweaking to optimize it for online play. In my experience with many games online play is where it's at but while the game has been a huge success for the offline player, why not take an extra step and drive it farther into online gaming as well?

With the effort devoted into this fine sim, I would sincerely hope that we can have stronger admin tools made available to the community so we can eliminate many of our worst problems. For those of us who attempt to run 'dedicated' servers with high uptime, very often the stress created by being targeted by troublemakers outweighs the positive effects of hosting for the community...and the community is then diminished because of a few bad apples. If the problem becomes widespread enough, the game as a whole will suffer, sales will inevitably drop and revenue will be decreased...something I would suspect that most publishers would not be happy with. The success of popularity in any form will eventually result in being targeted by that minority of people who seek to bring down what that very success, therefore I strongly request for my post to be seriously considered.

I am making a sincere plea for stronger and more effective tools to help keep the game where it should be...the best simulation out there. I realize that UBI and 1C/Maddox have their hands full and resources are limited, but by improving the game in this area I genuinely feel at some point it will bring about the proper reward and strengthen the community in the process. I can't see how that can be anything but a positive thing for the game.

Very sincerely,

TX-Zen
Black 6
TX Squadron CO

XyZspineZyX
08-17-2003, 11:53 AM
TX-Zen wrote:
-
- To be able to effectively ban by IP address is a
- necessity in online gaming simply because many
- abusers when kicked will either continue to log back
- into the server or come back in under a different
- name to continue their escapades.

Part of what you request is now in the game, ability to make a ban list:

Console Commands:
- words containing spaces may now be used in console commands in quotes
- 'user' command is modified: disposed of of 'KICK' keyword
- 'chat' command is modified: added keyword 'TO# <N>' - it sends the message to the player of the given number
- added command: 'kick <name>' - disconnects the given player from the server
- added command: 'kick# <N>' - disconnects a player of the given number
- added command: 'ban' - prohibits connection for the given player groups
command format:
ban [ADD] [REM] [NAME [<name>]] [PATTERN [<pattern>]] [IP [<ip mask>]] [CLEAR] [LOAD [<file name>]] [SAVE [<file name>]]
ADD - adds players listed in NAME, PATTERN, IP to the ban list
REM - removes players listed in NAME, PATTERN, IP from the ban list
CLEAR - clears the ban list
NAME [<name>] - picks out a player by his name
PATTERN [<pattern>] - picks out a player/players by the name(s) given in the <pattern>.
In the <pattern> - '?' represents any character, '*' represents any quantity of any characters
IP [<ip mask>] - picks out a player by his network address
<ip mask> - N.N.N.N, where 'N' is either a number 0 to 255, or a number range (i.e. 10-127), or a '*' that is any number
LOAD [<file name>] - reads list from a file ('banned.txt' by default)
SAVE [<file name>] - writes the list into a file ('banned.txt' by default)

<p align="center">
<A HREF="http://mudmovers.com/sturmovik_101/FAQ.htm" TARGET=_blank>
Unofficial IL-2 Community FAQ</font></A>

<fontsize=2>Hunter82's Tech Pages (http://mudmovers.com/tech/tech_pages.htm)
Forgotten Battles Reality Check (http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_065a.html)
</font></p>

XyZspineZyX
08-18-2003, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the response Snoopy,

Actually I have been aware of that functionality for a long time, but feel that we need an overhaul of the online process. Right now we have bits and pieces but it would be better to have a concrete system in place that is simple to use.

Many other games have such functionality, I would really like to see FB get the same treatment. As I mentioned, the easier things like this are to use, the more popularity is generated and the stronger the community will be.

Salute!

TX-Zen
Black 6
TX Squadron CO

XyZspineZyX
08-19-2003, 06:14 AM
Can I plug a shameless bump for the cause?

TX-Zen
Black 6
TX Squadron CO

XyZspineZyX
08-20-2003, 04:30 AM
dorky dorky dorky dorky dorky dorky dorky dorky dorky dorky dorky dorky dorky dorky dorky dorky bump dorky dorky dorky dorky dorky dorky dorky dorky dorky dorky dorky dorky dorky dorky dorky dorky dorky dorky dorky dorky

XyZspineZyX
08-20-2003, 04:49 AM
GET - Horse-Badorties - IP And " BAN " Him - LOL

XyZspineZyX
08-20-2003, 05:07 AM
TX-Zen wrote:
- Thanks for the response Snoopy,
-
- Actually I have been aware of that functionality for
- a long time,

The ban command was only added in 1.1b, how long is a piece of string?

<center>
Read the <a href=http://www.mudmovers.com/sturmovik_101/FAQ.htm>IL2 FAQ</a>
Got Nimrod? Try the unofficial <A HREF=http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=4870c2bc08acb0f130e5e3396d08d595>OT forum</A>

XyZspineZyX
08-20-2003, 07:52 AM
ban [ADD] [REM] [NAME []] [PATTERN []] ] [CLEAR] [LOAD []] [SAVE []]

So Im kinda confused Do I need to know his Ip to add him to the ban list ?

If I ban him by name will it add his IP automaticaly to the Ban list ? If not how do I get there IP & how do I ban by IP
The command ?

How do you save the Ban list so that the same Clown Canot enter ever again ?

I know how to KICK But I have repete offenders & want to ban them Perminatly By name & IP

How ??? show an exzample of the commands please.

IE:

kick# 3 PRESS ENTER this would kick user number 3

Can I ban in this maner as well ?

IE:

ban# 3

then

ban SAVE PRESS ENTER ???

Then

Run up server @ later time

ban LOAD (WILL THIS LOAD ALL BANED PLAYERS LIST ?)

<center><FONT COLOR="white">ӚFJ-M œ R D ˜ ӡ</font>

<center> http://www.onpoi.net/ah/pics/users/ah_109_1059752328.jpg </center>

<center><FONT COLOR="white">The "Ace Edge"(c).
With my incremental trim
I am actually able to turn so quickly that, I never turn at all.
In Fact the Planet Earth rotates around the Axis of My PC, thus giving me the optimum turn rate and insuring that you
the bandit are promptly fraged !!!
In memory Of Ray R.I.P.[/i]</font>