PDA

View Full Version : *Forum Member* Chuck_Older has not passed on

Chuck_Older
06-20-2006, 04:58 PM
Some slight confusion exists concerning some unfortunate news from this weekend.

My username is in tribute of a hero of mine, Charles H. Older, Marine Aviator. 3rd Squadron AVG Flight Leader, USAAF Lt. Colonel, and Los Angeles Judge.

The real Charles Older was and is a hero, a brave man who stood up for his beleifs amid a sea of uncertainty during the darkest hours of the greatest struggle this world has known as a fighting man, and again during a time of civil turmoil in his beloved country as a Judge

I'm a guy named Chris who admired and still does admire Chuck Older. I wrestled with the use of my hero's name here on the forums and ultimately decided that since I mean it as a tribute, I would keep it.

I am finishing the update to my Flying Tigers campaign, and then that is the last "Chuck_Older" will be heard of, as I will retire this username out of deference to the namesake I have chosen

I'm a little touched by the concern that was caused by the confusion, as some thought that I had died.

A man who gave much more to the real community has passed, not me. Sometime last week, Charles Older fell and injured his head badly. he passed into a coma, and then died on Saturday.

Charles H. Older is survived by his wife Kitty. Please keep her in your thoughts as this must be devastating for her. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Chuck_Older
06-20-2006, 04:58 PM
Some slight confusion exists concerning some unfortunate news from this weekend.

My username is in tribute of a hero of mine, Charles H. Older, Marine Aviator. 3rd Squadron AVG Flight Leader, USAAF Lt. Colonel, and Los Angeles Judge.

The real Charles Older was and is a hero, a brave man who stood up for his beleifs amid a sea of uncertainty during the darkest hours of the greatest struggle this world has known as a fighting man, and again during a time of civil turmoil in his beloved country as a Judge

I'm a guy named Chris who admired and still does admire Chuck Older. I wrestled with the use of my hero's name here on the forums and ultimately decided that since I mean it as a tribute, I would keep it.

I am finishing the update to my Flying Tigers campaign, and then that is the last "Chuck_Older" will be heard of, as I will retire this username out of deference to the namesake I have chosen

I'm a little touched by the concern that was caused by the confusion, as some thought that I had died.

A man who gave much more to the real community has passed, not me. Sometime last week, Charles Older fell and injured his head badly. he passed into a coma, and then died on Saturday.

Charles H. Older is survived by his wife Kitty. Please keep her in your thoughts as this must be devastating for her. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

JG52Uther
06-20-2006, 05:13 PM
Respect to you Chris for your decision.

SeaFireLIV
06-20-2006, 05:22 PM
It was a little disconcerting at first, but now all is clear. Sad news on part of the real Chuck Older.

Waldo.Pepper
06-20-2006, 05:52 PM
Reports of your death are premature. Good to hear.

Did your life flash befroe your eyes?

Chuck_Older
06-20-2006, 06:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
Reports of your death are premature. Good to hear.

Did your life flash befroe your eyes? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I've nearly bought it in a car accident, because of kidney failure, and because of blood poisoning. No life cycle slideshows for me so far, I'm afraid. Kind of a gyp I guess but I would have liked to have C. H. Older's life flash before my eyes on Saturday

slipBall
06-20-2006, 06:19 PM
Now your down to 8 lives http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

danjama
06-20-2006, 06:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great decision, quite apt. Hope you let us know your new name.

Targ
06-20-2006, 06:33 PM
A big S! to the real and virual Chuck Older.
When you are ready let me know and I shall transfer your clash title to your new name http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Enforcer572005
06-20-2006, 10:58 PM
Kicking the bucket will not be tolerated of our chuck until he finishes the update on wtcf. I can only assume he is waiting on the last update to get the appropriate planes.

BTW...that cmpn is an excellent tribute to your namesake.

knightflyte
06-20-2006, 11:27 PM
I'm glad YOUR fine Chris. I hadn't noticed your posts lately, and was wondering where you might be. You usually post rather prolifically. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif (Not that I was ever confused with Mr. Older and yourself. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

We do seem to lose a lot of the good ones like your namesake too soon, and too often.

The NEXT obvious question is....have you decided on a new name once WTCF2 is released?

Chuck_Older
06-21-2006, 08:33 AM
2.0 is a lot different from the original in some basic ways:

1) biggest change: you won't fly out of the US campaign branch. It uses the "NN" country,

for a custom Chinese campaign. This may cause potential issues with players who have already

used this trick. Not a lot of players know about the "NN" country and most of them are

mission builders who are already comfortable with backing up and copying mission and

campaign folders and who won't have too much trouble with this, as long as they know about

it beforehand

My Chinese campaign branch features:

* Chinese insignia in the campaign selection screen
* custom chinese music
* custom Chinese medals

This part is done, and working on my PC

2) Landscape: I've added a lot of little things: for instance, my "Rangoon" now has probably

500 little palm trees in it, positioned in with the existing trees. All other major locales

have this as well. Some areas are very dense jungle now. Not too many, but some. These dense

areas thin out as you leave the area

This part is also done

3) Skins: I'm learning to skin. Leadspitter's P-40 template makes me look competent. This

aspect will take the longest. My goal had been to make up 8 skins for each of the three

Squadrons, that have specific fuselage numbers, and then have a generic, no number skin for

each, so that the player would see soemthing a little more accurate most times. I'm still on

it. I'll also use the P.11 for the Ki-27 for now, and then make instructions on how to

change them to Ki-27s later, in the readme. My P.11 skin is still around. I also have some

very nice skins by Sparty that he's letting me use

This part is in-progress

4) Missions: I had envisioned about 20 more missions. I have 4 or 5 done completely except

for briefing text as I don't have dates for the missions yet. Part of my initial plan had

been to introduce the P-40E. The time to skin this plane is prohibitive. Instead, I'm using

some P-40Cs occasionally because they use the same skins as the H-81A2, but can carry bombs,

and the AVG did jury-rig bomb cradles onto their planes after Tex Hill demonstrated the

concept to Chennault. Some missions are over completely new areas, and others are just

tie-ins to existing maps. All old missions are updated with new objects, etc, and some have

a few surprises. I'm adding some sound effects to breifings as well

This part is in-progress

5) cutscenes: I ideally would like to change cutscenes, but time is an issue. I will

probably add two or three additional ones however

No work has been done on this part

6) I will not be making a single mission option for this campaign as I did with the

original. The campaign size is going to be large enough for download, and besides, a lot of

players never realised that all the WTCF missions were also installed as single missions,

since I forgot to add some stuff into the readme

7) Splashscreen: I'd like to do a new splash since it's a new campaign branch. I have a

couple WIPs for this. My Chuck Older wallpaper might get the nod actually.

This part is in-progress

I'd like to say this will be all done by Mid-August. The nice part is that play-testing will

mostly revolve around installation rather than gameplay

I'll let you all know what my new username will be.

IDF_Raam
06-21-2006, 10:36 AM
Glad to hear you are O.K., and looking forward to your campaign.