PDA

View Full Version : Turning around on flight deck?

AJRobson
01-30-2005, 11:26 AM
Maybe I am blind.. but I cant see if there is a way to lock one wheel while braking on the ground.. so as to be able to actually taxi around.

I can land.. but rarely end up at the stern with enough deck to take off again. I want to be able to taxi back to the stern. This requires doing a couple of 180 degree turns. But just using the rudder alone won't allow this.

Any ideas?

Wait! Is that what "lock tail wheel? is for? I hope so.

Let me try it.

AJRobson
01-30-2005, 11:26 AM
Maybe I am blind.. but I cant see if there is a way to lock one wheel while braking on the ground.. so as to be able to actually taxi around.

I can land.. but rarely end up at the stern with enough deck to take off again. I want to be able to taxi back to the stern. This requires doing a couple of 180 degree turns. But just using the rudder alone won't allow this.

Any ideas?

Wait! Is that what "lock tail wheel? is for? I hope so.

Let me try it.

3.JG51_BigBear
01-30-2005, 11:39 AM
I don't think its possible. There is no independent wheel braking in the game that would give you that tight a turn radius. The lock trail wheel prevent the tail wheel from steering and castering while the plane is taking off so that your don't over control using the wheel and veer off the runway.

FoolTrottel
01-30-2005, 11:48 AM
It is possible!
By using the Rudder.
Apply RightRudder and brake at the same time, plane turns right!

Kapt_A
01-30-2005, 11:51 AM
Apply Brake,full rudder,and approx 25% to 35% throttle.And some patients with a headwind. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

AJRobson
01-30-2005, 03:47 PM
Nope. Won't work.

Plane won't turn around. Most I can get is 90 degrees.

Thanks anyways.

FoolTrottel
01-30-2005, 04:29 PM
Indeed it does work!
But, it will only work on static carriers, not on moving ones.

On a moving carrier, you can't turn round more than maybe 90dgs. On static ones you can go all the way.
(Just tested this in a Seafire and in a F2F)

Wilburnator
01-30-2005, 05:45 PM
It definately works. You can spin around all you want on a carrier deck using the brake and rudder together.

kiddknapp59
01-30-2005, 06:00 PM
It works. Full rudder, hold the brake, full power. It will slowly turn in a circle even on a moving carrier.

AJRobson
01-30-2005, 06:50 PM
Maybe it also depends on the plane. Maybe I should try something besides the B-25? lol

civildog
01-30-2005, 07:33 PM
It works with every plane in the game no matter what it's sitting on, though sometimes letting the plane just start to roll ....just a little!!.. first helps.

You didn't forget to remove the chocks did you?

civildog
01-30-2005, 07:35 PM
This is why there were flight deck crews to push the planes around on the carriers. It's a little tight and a few times I've zigged when I should have zagged and rolled off the side while turning in place.

AJRobson
01-31-2005, 07:24 AM
Yes... the flight deck crews do push them around.

The planes aren't expected to do much taxing around... at least not nowadays.

This should be added to the game. Once you land successfully... you should be able to push some sequence of keys... and invisible "yellow gear" comes out and puts you back at the stern ready for take off.