PDA

View Full Version : bf109: 110% throttle or 110% + WEP for climbing?

Afromike1
10-09-2008, 06:13 PM
I want to find the fastest way to get to my preferred altitude. The dilemma is that even though your engine overheats faster it seems as though you can get higher with the WEP.

110% throttle, even though it overheats slower it seems to me like it just climbs to slowly compared to the WEP.

What do you guys think?

Stingray333
10-09-2008, 06:52 PM
I've wondered what is the best way to get to altitude as well.

Although I haven't timed it with a stop watch, my strategy is to first get going horizontally at a good clip, ~400 kmh, then start to climb, throttle at 90-95%, rad on auto, and then use the elevator trim to start to climb, always making sure to be in coordinate flight (slip ball in the center), then try to find the steepest angle of descent that I can maintain and still keep my speed around 300 kmh. And then hold the climb angle using only the elevator trim, not using the stick at all, this seems to give me up to altitude very quickly.

I'd rather get up to elevation a tad slower with a cool engine than get up a little bit faster only to be jumped and find yourself with an over heating engine. That is why I also try to keep my speed at or above 300kmh while climbing, if someone gets on your six and your pointed straight up going 220 kmh you don't have a lot of options besides nosing down to get some speed.

beNdeR__
10-09-2008, 06:54 PM
I don't know if it's necessarily the best way to do it, but I like to climb at full throttle with WEP on, generally with radiator closed, then once I get to the alt I want, I turn off WEP, open the radiator to full and wander around in friendlier territory at about 70-75% throttle for a bit to let it cool off, maybe even gain a little more altitude if I can while doing this.

DKoor
10-09-2008, 06:56 PM
If not in combat just climb without wep, you will save your engine more (from heat).
In danger climb with all you got - full power (110+wep).

Fastest way to climb is 110+wep.

M_Gunz
10-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Isn't WEP on at least one model 109 GM-1, in which case don't touch until high alt?

WOLFPLAYER2007
10-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Stingray333:
I've wondered what is the best way to get to altitude as well.

Although I haven't timed it with a stop watch, my strategy is to first get going horizontally at a good clip, ~400 kmh, then start to climb, throttle at 90-95%, rad on auto, and then use the elevator trim to start to climb, always making sure to be in coordinate flight (slip ball in the center), then try to find the steepest angle of descent that I can maintain and still keep my speed around 300 kmh. And then hold the climb angle using only the elevator trim, not using the stick at all, this seems to give me up to altitude very quickly.

I'd rather get up to elevation a tad slower with a cool engine than get up a little bit faster only to be jumped and find yourself with an over heating engine. That is why I also try to keep my speed at or above 300kmh while climbing, if someone gets on your six and your pointed straight up going 220 kmh you don't have a lot of options besides nosing down to get some speed.

This is perfect, just use Stingray's advice, i'd also add that the 109 is a light aircraft, so you can use a great "larger" angle to climb in comparison with other aircrafts.

WOLFPLAYER2007
10-09-2008, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by M_Gunz:
Isn't WEP on at least one model 109 GM-1, in which case don't touch until high alt?

Yes, its in the Daimler Benz of the 109E-7/b, dont touch the button in low alt or the engine will die...the best way to fight with this 109 is boom and zoom all the way, and very high.

Crikey2008
10-09-2008, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by WOLFPLAYER2007:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M_Gunz:

Yes, its in the Daimler Benz of the 109E-7/b, dont touch the button in low alt or the engine will die...the best way to fight with this 109 is boom and zoom all the way, and very high. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Gustav is in its element above 25k ft. Up there it loses much of its performance handicaps down lower.

The V-line of the DB engine when installed into the airframe gave an elevated thrust line.
Climbing the 109 at max ROC therefore should not need WEP.

The thrust line of the 109 was also a reason why its tail could be raised early on takeoff (advisable) without the screw ploughing into the runway.

DaddyAck
10-09-2008, 09:23 PM
Yeah, the whole GM-1 injection thing only takes one time killing your power plant to learn real quick not to repeat that error again. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

P.FunkAdelic
10-10-2008, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by DaddyAck:
Yeah, the whole GM-1 injection thing only takes one time killing your power plant to learn real quick not to repeat that error again. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif
No kidding. I was escaping from 2 Spits in a slight down angle at 110% throttle getting separation, at least enough for room to pull a maneuver if they kept gaining or following or enough time to get home, but I stupidly thought "oh I know, use WEP!" That was... funny.

JG53Frankyboy
10-10-2008, 06:21 AM
you can run the Bf109's DB605 with 103% ( + MW50 if available) with radiator setting 6 without overheat.

you can run such a DB605 ~5min in overheatcondition before enginedamege happens.
So with 4min you have more than enough time to cool the engine.

IIRC ! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

mortoma
10-11-2008, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by WOLFPLAYER2007:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M_Gunz:

Yes, its in the Daimler Benz of the 109E-7/b, dont touch the button in low alt or the engine will die...the best way to fight with this 109 is boom and zoom all the way, and very high. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I thought it was the E-7/Z???