PDA

View Full Version : Single-player alienation...

TheSpong
01-09-2011, 01:29 AM
I wanted to see if there's anyone else in the AC community that feels the same sense of alienation that I am because Ubi seem to be completely neglecting me. Let me explain...

I don't play multiplayer games, it's just not my thing. I stopped enjoying them when multiplayer went online, there's no fun for me in beating a faceless stranger with whom I have no connection. I admit I'm probably in the minority in having that view, but I'm sure I'm not the only person who feels this.

Anyway, the main point I want to make in this thread is to express my disillusion at the way Ubi are seemingly pandering to the multiplayer aspect of Brotherhood while completely ignoring those of us who only enjoy the game's single-player story. To date, there's been two free multiplayer DLCs (neither of which I've downloaded) and there's unlocks for the multiplayer game based on kills (as is my understanding). While I concede that any incentive to encourage more people to buy/play the game is a good move, I'm unhappy at the bias towards multiplayer. How about spreading the goodness a little more evenly Ubi?

Will there be anything coming for us single-player aficionados? And, more interestingly, will it be free like the multiplayer DLC has been thus far? I know there's the Copernicus DLC, but I own the 360 version so that's not an option for me. I also know there's two extra lairs that have been purposely locked from owners of the 'normal' retail version. I didn't like the way Ubi did that with ACII's crypts and, given the emphasis on multiplayer this time around, I'm somewhat annoyed that they've done it again with Brotherhood.

My stance now is this; I'm fed up with the way Ubi has apparently foregone my enjoyment and enthusiasm for the game/series. In fact, they've pretty much killed my enjoyment. I assume, like the crypts in ACII, an unlock code will become available for the remaining two lairs in Brotherhood at some point down the line. But, in the wake of the multiplayer freebies, I think it'll be incredibly unfair if Ubi have the audacity to charge for the content, even more so because it's content that's already present on my game's disc. This much I can say for sure; if single-player DLC is released at some point and Ubi try to charge for it, in the wake of free multiplayer DLC, I won't buy it. You've made your bed Ubi, you should lie in it.

So, am I really the only AC player who feels this way?

Avl521
01-09-2011, 01:33 AM
Dude you're just being overly dramatic.

Yeah there's free content for multiplayer... 2 MAPS! that's nothing! So they have no reason to charge for that.

And IIRC there's 2 DLCs coming for the Single Player.
So why are whining so much?
It's actually harder to create Single Player DLC, so it's only natural they charge for it.
And as far as AC:B, you don't know if the content is already in the disc so don't make things up.

TheSpong
01-09-2011, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by Avl521:
Dude you're just being overly dramatic.

Yeah there's free content for multiplayer... 2 MAPS! that's nothing! So they have no reason to charge for that.

And IIRC there's 2 DLCs coming for the Single Player.
So why are whining so much?
It's actually harder to create Single Player DLC, so it's only natural they charge for it.
And as far as AC:B, you don't know if the content is already in the disc so don't make things up.

I don't think I'm being overly dramatic. I think it's a salient point.

The multiplayer maps aren't 'nothing'. They still had to be created at some point didn't they? Just because they might lack any story doesn't justify charging for any single-player DLC. It's extra content as much as single-player would be. And if Ubi hadn't given away the multiplayer DLC for nothing, I wouldn't be expecting the same of any forthcoming single-player DLC. So I don't consider my raising of the point should be considered as whining. And, in terms of longevity and replayability, I'd say it's arguable that multiplayer content has more value than linear, story-driven DLC.

As for the lairs being already present on the Brotherhood disc, I'm basing that on the fact that the locked crypts in ACII was content included in every copy of the game, but only owners of the collectors editions could access them without charge. The rest of us had to pay for it. I don't see why it's outlandish of me to think that Ubi have done the same again in Brotherhood with the locked lairs.

Avl521
01-09-2011, 02:05 AM
Mate, slow down.
Don't worry be happy.
Ubisoft has stated multiple times that at this moment the engine is capable of creating the maps to play and climb with extreme ease so things go faster when developing.
And since the multiplayer is already set up, when they release a map, they just have to create it, which they have stated it's very easy for them now.

The reason they'll most likely charge for the Single player DLC is because they have to record dialogue, make cutscenes, make sure it doesn't have bugs. It all depends on the content.

Now I never said that multiplayer content has more value than single player content. On the contrary, I'm more interested in Single Player than Multiplayer. My statement is that the MP DLCs have been each of only 1 map.
While the future DLC to expand the story will require more effort based on what the contents of it are.

And now, yeah, maybe the "lairs" are already on the disc, but they offered those as pre-order exclusives or part of a collector or codex edition for which some people paid even more so they get the lairs and some other bonuses for they paid more. Just like the Drachen Armor, there's a reason why those things are "exclusive" to those who paid.

And my statement about the Single Player DLC not being in the disc was about the 2 upcoming single player DLCs which will expand the story.
The lairs might be there, but you don't know if the future DLCs are, so don't make assumptions without proof.

Alpha Ender
01-09-2011, 02:07 AM
Don't use words that no one ever uses, like "salient". It just makes you look like an overblown fool (no meanness, just saying).

However, I agree. I love single player games, and usually play those more than I play my multiplayer games or the multiplayer aspects of those games (MW2, ACB, etc.). I think it is right of them to charge for DLC. HOWEVER!, like you said, they are giving out free DLC now, so it would be stupid to charge later. Or biased, or idiotic, whatever you want to call it. Either way, not a good move by Ubisoft.

So, yes, I agree with you. Just don't argue with big/fancy/confusing words, lest us unedumacated people hate you and...well, that's about all we would do I suppose.

TheSpectator
01-09-2011, 02:12 AM
The price depends on the content. Just be happy that we're getting some stuff free, even if YOU don't care for it the majority do and in business and marketing all that matters is what the majority wants. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

TheSpong
01-09-2011, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by Avl521:
And my statement about the Single Player DLC not being in the disc was about the 2 upcoming single player DLCs which will expand the story.
The lairs might be there, but you don't know if the future DLCs are, so don't make assumptions without proof.

My statement about content already being present on disc specifically concerned the crypts/lairs, I never aimed it at DLC such as extra sequences/multiplayer maps. The only assumption I made was based on how Ubi released the extra crypts in ACII to non-collectors edition owners.

Originally posted by AlphaEnder:
So, yes, I agree with you. Just don't argue with big/fancy/confusing words, lest us unedumacated people hate you and...well, that's about all we would do I suppose.

The word 'salient' is fancy/big/confusing?

As for how people would view me for being what I consider to be so breath-takingly normal, the kind of person who chastises me for having a simple grasp of my own language is the type of person I wouldn't want to associate with IRL. Besides, I'm not here for a reputation or affirmation, I couldn't really care less about what relative strangers on a forum think of me personally. I'm merely here to talk about a common interest. But I digress...

bokeef04
01-09-2011, 05:04 AM
you complain that Ubisoft is alienating you because it added multiplayer, what about all those people that wanted multiplayer? should Ubisoft have alienated them just so you could have a MP free game?

how do you know that Ubisoft is ignoring the SP aspect? do you work for Ubisoft, do you have some sort of inside information on what their plans are regarding ACB? you also have to remember that they have different teams doing the SP and the MP

Skylined69
01-09-2011, 07:57 AM
@TheSpong.

There's times I cannot beleive peoples overblown sense of entitlement and your comments are another pathetic example of this.

First you complain that UBI are providing free content however it's not content you want to use, as you've not had to pay anything towards it you have no right to complain the clues in the word Free!!!.

Second you complain, sorry correction whine that you've not been given free access to content on both ACII and ACB that was available as an exclusive to those like me who paid extra when we purchased the games.

Then you point out that UBI started charging for the originally exclusive content for ACII at a later date that would be called running a business for profit something I'm told a lot of companies have started doing as of late.

Well boo hoo my heart bleeds for you, you have to realize that as you have made the choice to buy the regular edition of these games instead of the special editions you have no inherant right to the additional content for free if you want this content do as the rest of us and cough up the extra until then you have no right or grounds to argue the case you have originally posted.

In fact the only people with any right to complain about DLC content is the people like me who paid extra for the Trajan Market map which was advertised as "exclusive" content only available in select special editions when the game was released only for it to be released for free a month or 2 later.

I'd suggest getting over your overblown sense of entitlement until you have a legitimate complaint.

MrRoboto578
01-09-2011, 10:20 AM
Just another whining little fool who thinks because using words that aren't normally found in an average dialect of people using the internet gives him the title of "MVP".

Little secret, Spong, your not going to get what you want just because you think it's unfair. The single-player is the only thing the true fans of Assassin's creed care about, and multiplayer is just an add-on. Besides, UbiSoft doesn't care what you think, you are one person out of the millions who bought the game. If they are going to change the way they conduct there business, then they are as corrupt as the Catholic Church.

Avl521
01-09-2011, 11:04 AM
You just have to face the facts that:

1. The lairs where exclusive to pre-order/special editions, so technically certain people paid more than you did, and by doing so, they should be rewarded, which is what they got.

2. You're gonna get 2 DLCs that expand the story and are more than just lairs, so why complain?

3. The price a DLC gets depends on what it contains. What we have downloaded for free in the MP contained only 1 map. Said map, has been stated by Ubi to be extremely easy to make since they already have created too many maps, and the engine can do it with extreme ease.

4. Although it's not one of my points at all, nor do I care about it since I have no issue with it...

Oh come on... You have to admit salient is not a word you use commonly, it's not even a word that you use often.
But I don't care about that, you can speak however you wish to speak, even then, if you're wrong, or just being overly dramatic, people (Including me.) will beg to differ. And will try to prove you wrong/show you how mistaken you are.

It IS a forum after all.

kriegerdesgottes
01-09-2011, 11:32 AM
I agree totally with your feelings on multiplayer. The way you described how you got tired of them after the whole online thing came into effect and your general feelings are the same by me. however there is a video on youtube with phillipe bergeron discussing further SP dlc where he mentions one in march which is narrative with two more secret areas and another in late nov which is supposed to be "a substantial" piece of dlc for the ac product of 2011 though ubisoft seems to have changed their mind since one ubi exec said it would be a "big game" in 2011 which is depressing.

Black_Widow9
01-09-2011, 01:47 PM
Imo, I think it was pretty cool to throw out a Multiplayer aspect to the game which I never even saw possible. I don't have a fast enough internet connection to actually play MP so it's just something that I can't be a part of but have no control over. Considering it is a MP, I was really excited to learn there was SP even available. I have enjoyed it so far. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif If I want extra content I have to really want it to take my Xbox somewhere to use the connection.

If you have any ideas for SP DLC please post them here-
Future ACB DLC ideas (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/3171007498)

chizzy12
01-09-2011, 01:53 PM
hey op why u mad tho?

flyingeaglemile
01-09-2011, 02:04 PM
MP DLC- 1 map. Easy to make
SP DLC- story, voice actors (who probably wants to get paid), introducing some new mechanic to see if people will like it or not. Not so easy to make.

Ass4ssin8me
01-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by TheSpong:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Avl521:

My statement about content already being present on disc specifically concerned the crypts/lairs, I never aimed it at DLC such as extra sequences/multiplayer maps. The only assumption I made was based on how Ubi released the extra crypts in ACII to non-collectors edition owners.

Originally posted by AlphaEnder:

The word 'salient' is fancy/big/confusing?

As for how people would view me for being what I consider to be so breath-takingly normal, the kind of person who chastises me for having a simple grasp of my own language is the type of person I wouldn't want to associate with IRL. Besides, I'm not here for a reputation or affirmation, I couldn't really care less about what relative strangers on a forum think of me personally. I'm merely here to talk about a common interest. But I digress... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He was nice, and you turn back and insult him? Stop acting all High, and Mighty, with a sense of, my opinions matter the most, everyone else is wrong. Everyone is entitled to an opinion..

And my opinion is, that I would rather SP DLC, however I enjoy MP alot and am happy with both.

Voice actors etc, need to be paid for SP hence, the reason it will cost some money.