PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading dilemma...



Codex1971
04-12-2006, 02:50 AM
OK guys...I have a dilemma...need some advice... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

Its upgrade time for me and I don't do it regularly, my last "complete" upgrade was 4 years ago so I'm looking to future proof as much as possible...say...2 weeks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

I have compiled my wish list:
AMD ATHLON 64 4000+ (2.4GHz/1MB/0.09u/San Diego)
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
2GB(4x512MB) OCZ DDR400
XFX GeForce 7900GTX 512MB 650MHz
Western Digital Raptor 150GB 10,000rpm
16x Pioneer 111D
Sound Blaster X-Fi Extream Music
Ultra X-finity 600W Titanium
Cool Master Ammo 533
Viewsonic VX922 19in LCD, 2ms

My dilemma lies in the fact that both AMD and Intel are releasing new chips in approx. 2 months...do I wait for the new chips or buy the current stuff?

Cheers!

F19_Orheim
04-12-2006, 03:01 AM
wait!!!!! When new chips arrive they will for sure lower the price on the current ones

WOLFMondo
04-12-2006, 03:26 AM
If we always wait for the next technology to come out, we'll never buy anything.

Looks like a nice setup, I'd get some faster RAM though, DDR2 if your board will take it. This will aid in some more future proofing.

Brain32
04-12-2006, 03:28 AM
I would wait for new chips and then buy those, why? Because of upgradeability, if in future you get in situation where you would gain significant performance improvement by CPU upgrade you will not have to go with the new motherboard. So if you decide to do it, it will be much easier and with reduced cost http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Codex1971
04-12-2006, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by WOLFMondo:
Looks like a nice setup, I'd get some faster RAM though, DDR2 if your board will take it. This will aid in some more future proofing.

The the current AMD 939 chips don't take advantage of DDR2...the upcoming AMD AM2 chips will.


Originally posted by Brain32:
I would wait for new chips and then buy those, why? Because of upgradeability, if in future you get in situation where you would gain significant performance improvement by CPU upgrade you will not have to go with the new motherboard. So if you decide to do it, it will be much easier and with reduced cost Wink2

This is what I was thinking, as the new AMD AM2's use a new socket, I have no doubt Intel will do the same.

JG52_Cyanide
04-12-2006, 04:26 AM
All I suggest is to buy 2 x 1024mb ram sticks instead of 4 x 512mb......most Nforce 4 mainboards have to drop to 2T timings with more than 2 sticks. This hurts performance a bit on socket 939 mainboards.
Also it's less overclock friendly.

About waiting 2 months till the new stuff hits the street: when it does, it's gonna be Xpensive! And there's always the next generation lurking around the corner.....

The performance gain's might be somewhere in the 5-15% range, for a 20-50% in price difference.......

On the other hand; if you wait another 2 months; the setup that you want to buy now will still be great for running IL-2......and a bit cheaper at that!

Good luck!

Codex1971
04-12-2006, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by JG52_Cyanide:
All I suggest is to buy 2 x 1024mb ram sticks instead of 4 x 512mb......most Nforce 4 mainboards have to drop to 2T timings with more than 2 sticks. This hurts performance a bit on socket 939 mainboards.
Also it's less overclock friendly.

About waiting 2 months till the new stuff hits the street: when it does, it's gonna be Xpensive! And there's always the next generation lurking around the corner.....

The performance gain's might be somewhere in the 5-15% range, for a 20-50% in price difference.......

On the other hand; if you wait another 2 months; the setup that you want to buy now will still be great for running IL-2......and a bit cheaper at that!

Good luck!

Thanks Cyanide...

I don't plan on overcloking but I will change the mem setup as eventually I would like to get 4GB of ram when Vista arrives.

I think I'm leaning more towards waiting. AMD have stated that they plan to release current AMD64s in the new socket which allows me to have the option to upgrade to the new CPUs later on.

Codex1971
04-12-2006, 05:53 AM
http://news.soft32.com/prices-for-am2-socket_1140.html