PDA

View Full Version : Exploding Stukas - Myth and Reality

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 08:34 PM
Hi all,

During the 1.08 beta test someone said that Stukas explode after parking. I assured him they didn't. We were both right in a sense.

After exhaustive (and exhausting!) tests:

1) There is a bug on bases with a separate parking area well off to one side. This bug did not exist in earlier versions of IL-2 or FB 1.0.

2) This causes any planes that park in this separate parking area to explode instead of merely disappearing.

3) The first planes that land at these bases generally park elsewhere. The bug rears its head when several flights land at the same base.

4) The bug affects all planes.

5) I've written to Oleg about it so no need for a general clamour.

6) There is a work-around but applying it to current maps won't happen. I've contacted Oleg's map designer re future maps.

7) There is a separate issue that in certain limited circumstances AI planes may disappear on the runway instead of taxiing and parking. This is rare and doesn't affect scores etc (i.e. they don't count as killed) so it's no big deal.

Ian

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 08:34 PM
Hi all,

During the 1.08 beta test someone said that Stukas explode after parking. I assured him they didn't. We were both right in a sense.

After exhaustive (and exhausting!) tests:

1) There is a bug on bases with a separate parking area well off to one side. This bug did not exist in earlier versions of IL-2 or FB 1.0.

2) This causes any planes that park in this separate parking area to explode instead of merely disappearing.

3) The first planes that land at these bases generally park elsewhere. The bug rears its head when several flights land at the same base.

4) The bug affects all planes.

5) I've written to Oleg about it so no need for a general clamour.

6) There is a work-around but applying it to current maps won't happen. I've contacted Oleg's map designer re future maps.

7) There is a separate issue that in certain limited circumstances AI planes may disappear on the runway instead of taxiing and parking. This is rare and doesn't affect scores etc (i.e. they don't count as killed) so it's no big deal.

Ian

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 08:38 PM
Well, good find. Yet another thing we can look forward to when the next patch comes out, and when I finally get FB.

----------------------------------------
"When you hit hell, tell 'em I sent ya!"

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 08:43 PM
Er no. As I made clear, this is v hard to fix. A solution for designers of online wars etc is not to have more than 8 planes landing at that type of base. There is a technical workaround but to apply it retrospectively to every map in the game just won't happen and isn't worth the effort to solve this quite rare bug.

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 01:07 AM
Ian. Can you test something for me? I dont think the wing turretes (hebind the inboard engines) of the Pe-8 fire anymore.

I am now accepting donations to help get the PBY flyable.

<center><form action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">
<input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_xclick">
<input type="hidden" name="business" value="gibbage@lycos.com">
<input type="hidden" name="item_name" value="Gibbages IL2; FB PBY Catalina Fund">
<input type="hidden" name="no_note" value="1">
<input type="hidden" name="currency_code" value="USD">
<input type="hidden" name="tax" value="0">
<input type="image" src="http://gibbageart.havagame.com/donations.gif" border="0" name="submit" alt="Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!">
</form></center>

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 03:16 AM
Ian I don't know how much of an influence you have with oleg, but it seems he doesn't really listen to reality much, or maybe doesnt understand english well.

I was wondering if you could talk to him about making the planes "explode into a million pieces" not happen so easily. It was in fact extremely rare even with 108 cannons to unsealed fuel tanks, hugh fireball and in many occassions secondary explosions resulting in a tail ripping off or wing, out of the many hours and hours of guncam footage dvd vhs and old 8mm, i have never seen a plane explode into a million pieces.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4jz7i/ls.gif

Good dogfighters bring ammo home, Great ones don't. (c) Leadspitter

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 03:23 AM
"but it seems he doesn't really listen to reality much"
You are joking right? What Oleg doesn't listen to is the constant stream of drivel regarding flight models etc etc that have no basis. You know the stuff "The 109 in FB just doesn't seem right" blah blah blah. What Oleg listens to is well documented fact and proof of argument.

BobCat

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 03:34 AM
he claims naca charts are all wrong, charts = reality in my book over pilot stories

and if you check the charts like most of us not just whining the tests are for 180 degrees many of the planes roll almost double that 360 degrees and some lower then the 180 degree naca tests.

As any real pilot on here knows about fms and about having to follow a hard bank thru, if you stick yank in fb "no stick pressure in fb" the opposite way instantly the manuever is impossible in reality without stalling or bleeding all your energy.

Ask Lyle Shelton what he thinks about fb and he will tell you how unrealistic plane handling is and stalling is in FB, but said it has one of the most realistic graphics and thats about it

http://www.aafo.com/racing/2001/sheltonxar/images/04.jpg

Message Edited on 09/03/0302:41AM by LeadSpitter_

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 04:27 AM
I know it did happen. But not from being shot by a large HE round. I have heard a few pilot stories of them bailing out of a stricken aircraft and it exploding shortly after they got out. One pilot of a P-38 was hit in his left engine and started smelling fuel. Be bailed just in time as the fumes ignighted. His squad mates thought he died since he did blow up into a million peaces! Also, an empty fuel tank is just like a bomb with fumes. Plus you have a few other explosive things like LOX bottles and other things that dont take kindly to fire. But I do agree, sending a 30MM shell into a Pe-8 should not explode it. Unless that shell hit a bomb onboard.

Gib

LeadSpitter_ wrote:
- Ian I don't know how much of an influence you have
- with oleg, but it seems he doesn't really listen to
- reality much, or maybe doesnt understand english
- well.
-
- I was wondering if you could talk to him about
- making the planes "explode into a million pieces"
- not happen so easily. It was in fact extremely rare
- even with 108 cannons to unsealed fuel tanks, hugh
- fireball and in many occassions secondary explosions
- resulting in a tail ripping off or wing, out of the
- many hours and hours of guncam footage dvd vhs and
- old 8mm, i have never seen a plane explode into a
- million pieces.
-
-
- http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4jz7i/ls.gif
-
- Good dogfighters bring ammo home, Great ones don't.
- (c) Leadspitter
-
-

I am now accepting donations to help get the PBY flyable.

<center><form action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">
<input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_xclick">
<input type="hidden" name="business" value="gibbage@lycos.com">
<input type="hidden" name="item_name" value="Gibbages IL2; FB PBY Catalina Fund">
<input type="hidden" name="no_note" value="1">
<input type="hidden" name="currency_code" value="USD">
<input type="hidden" name="tax" value="0">
<input type="image" src="http://gibbageart.havagame.com/donations.gif" border="0" name="submit" alt="Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!">
</form></center>

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 05:38 AM
gibbage but a large explosion in 1 engine which threw pieces all over the place was considered the plane blowing up into a million pieces, not the place disintergrating in to nothing no hittable parts no large chunks of the fuselage. you know what im saying,

btw sry ian dont want to hijack the thredd, as for that bug i havent seen it yet besides the disapearing ai bug

Message Edited on 09/03/0305:29AM by LeadSpitter_