PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the Stuka in FB?

XyZspineZyX
06-25-2003, 10:40 AM
I was really impressed by the modelling on the Stuka when it first appeared in IL-2 as flyable. I'd just read a good article on the rise and demise of the Stuka (link below), which contained a fair bit of technical detail. In particular, it told how the Stuka automatically trimmed into the dive on selection of the dive-brakes and then trimmed out of the dive and into recovery on bomb release.

This all happened perfectly in IL-2, which I though was very good. Nothing seems to happen now. Certainly it doesn't pitch up on bomb release any more. Was this done to make dropping multiple/mixed bomb loads, in one dive, easier? Or is it an unintentional mistake?

If the bombs can't be made to all drop together - as many photos clearly show - I'd rather put up with having to make 2 quick button presses and accept some pitch up on the second press, as a more realistic modelling of the Stuka.

For me, the original IL-2 Stuka, in the dive at least, was like a real Stuka: modelling at its best; the current FB one is just like any A N Other-Sim Stuka.

See the Winter 2000 volume from the link below for an excellent article on the Stuka by Alfred Price.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/airpower/doctrine/index.html

Incidentally the Summer 2001 volume has another Alfred Price article, on the Me-262, which is also worth a read.

[that link isn't working for me right now - perhaps a temporary glitch]

XyZspineZyX
06-25-2003, 10:40 AM
I was really impressed by the modelling on the Stuka when it first appeared in IL-2 as flyable. I'd just read a good article on the rise and demise of the Stuka (link below), which contained a fair bit of technical detail. In particular, it told how the Stuka automatically trimmed into the dive on selection of the dive-brakes and then trimmed out of the dive and into recovery on bomb release.

This all happened perfectly in IL-2, which I though was very good. Nothing seems to happen now. Certainly it doesn't pitch up on bomb release any more. Was this done to make dropping multiple/mixed bomb loads, in one dive, easier? Or is it an unintentional mistake?

If the bombs can't be made to all drop together - as many photos clearly show - I'd rather put up with having to make 2 quick button presses and accept some pitch up on the second press, as a more realistic modelling of the Stuka.

For me, the original IL-2 Stuka, in the dive at least, was like a real Stuka: modelling at its best; the current FB one is just like any A N Other-Sim Stuka.

See the Winter 2000 volume from the link below for an excellent article on the Stuka by Alfred Price.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/airpower/doctrine/index.html

Incidentally the Summer 2001 volume has another Alfred Price article, on the Me-262, which is also worth a read.

[that link isn't working for me right now - perhaps a temporary glitch]

XyZspineZyX
06-25-2003, 11:05 AM
The original IL-2 did not feature a Stuka, you must mean one of the IL-2 feature addon 'patches'.

XyZspineZyX
06-25-2003, 11:33 AM
Yes, people complained about not being able to drop multiple bomb loads in the patched Stuka in IL2.

In FB it still auto recovers from a dive when you raise your air brakes.

<center> http://www.322squadron.com/images/322.gif </center>

XyZspineZyX
06-25-2003, 11:59 AM
He did not say that the Stuka was flyable in the original release of IL-2.

"the Stuka when it first appeared in IL-2 as flyable"

delta_9_tetra wrote:
- The original IL-2 did not feature a Stuka, you must
- mean one of the IL-2 feature addon 'patches'.
-
-

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/air_power/ap18a.jpg

XyZspineZyX
06-25-2003, 12:03 PM
Kernow wrote:
- I was really impressed by the modelling on the Stuka
- when it first appeared in IL-2 as flyable. I'd just
- read a good article on the rise and demise of the
- Stuka (link below), which contained a fair bit of
- technical detail. In particular, it told how the
- Stuka automatically trimmed into the dive on
- selection of the dive-brakes and then trimmed out of
- the dive and into recovery on bomb release.
-
- This all happened perfectly in IL-2, which I though
- was very good. Nothing seems to happen now.
- Certainly it doesn't pitch up on bomb release any
- more. Was this done to make dropping multiple/mixed
- bomb loads, in one dive, easier? Or is it an
- unintentional mistake?

It still trims down as far as I can see but doesn't pull up. It dissappeared accidentally in late Beta and nobody noticed in time. It will be fixed in 1.1.

There are also bugs with stuka lights which will be fixed as well.

-jippo

Message Edited on 06/25/0311:04AM by Jippo01

XyZspineZyX
06-25-2003, 12:26 PM
yes Milo you are quite correct, I misread the original post.

Apologies to Kernow for misinterpreting your valid point for another pointless whine.

I guess I'm so brassed off by whiners, that I turned into a whiner myself.

I think we have to wait for the addon patch, before we can really start talking about FB - it is simply not as yet finished.
It works, and it isn't finished. With that thought in my mind I posted.
I can enjoy fb as it is now, and I just have to wait impatiently!

MiloMorai wrote:
- He did not say that the Stuka was flyable in the
- original release of IL-2.
-
- "the Stuka when it first appeared in IL-2 as
- flyable"
-
-
-
- delta_9_tetra wrote:
-- The original IL-2 did not feature a Stuka, you must
-- mean one of the IL-2 feature addon 'patches'.
--

XyZspineZyX
06-26-2003, 12:18 AM
Cappadocian_317 wrote:
- Yes, people complained about not being able to drop
- multiple bomb loads in the patched Stuka in IL2.
-
- In FB it still auto recovers from a dive when you
- raise your air brakes.
-
- <center> http://www.322squadron.com/images/322.gif
- </center>
-

Ah does it? I'm pulling up by the time I retract the brakes anyway, so don't really notice.

Glad to hear it will be fixed, as it was one of those little things that really helped to make the game.

I never noticed that the lights didn't work correctly - then, pointing straight down, in the dark, doesn't seem like a career with long term prospects, /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif so I've never flown a stuka in the dark

Another thing I had noticed was the gear warning horn in the 109: isn't it only active when the throttle is at idle? So it shouldn't go off with flap down when you retract the gear after take-off.

XyZspineZyX
06-26-2003, 04:23 PM
Oleg, if you're listening, selectable bombs would be GREAT!

<center>
http://members.verizon.net/~vze2cb22/KosSig.gif

America: #1 military...#15 in literacy...
Because right wingers run our military
and leftists run our schools!/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif </center>