PDA

View Full Version : Petition: no more locked camera!

ASpieboy
10-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Look, it's hard to make a good port to PC. I can appreciate that. You can't predict what problems are going to pop up.

But there's one easy, simple change Ubisoft can put in place to make Revelations the best AC game to play on PC: remove the scripted camera angles.

Playing these games on PC is totally different from console. You use movement input less, and camera input more. The 'lock on' button is hard to hit, and it's usually easier to just aim for your target manually. You're not better or worse at the game, you just do things differently.

Basically, what it comes down to is that PC gamers depend on their mouse to move the camera. This is the main advantage of playing on the PC, for any game. You can easily have precision that's hard to replicate on console. So you can see why it's a tremendous problem for PC users when you take away the free camera during a difficult jumping puzzle.

I was stuck for hours in one area (I believe it was the family crypt) where Ezio has to perform a complex wall jump combo under a certain time to proceed. When the timer wasn't on, and my camera was under my control, I could perform the move flawlessly. But when I opened the door and rushed to go forward, the camera became locked in position, and I would fall down. Every time.

That's an extreme example, but it happens all the time during the games. I miss landings, I pause at crucial moments, all because the camera's been yanked away from my control and I'm forced to depend on the imprecise, clumsy WASD keys to try and go where I want. I can see how these camera angles help console gamers who don't have a mouse, but for PC players without a joystick, it's extremely annoying.

In Brotherhood, the camera also locks in place for a short time when Ezio climbs up a wall, a time I normally use to look behind me for pursuers, and point the camera in the direction I'm going next. Not being able to move the camera then means I waste precious seconds choosing a direction after I've climbed up.

I can't be the only one who finds this troublesome. I'm starting a petition to remove all fixed camera angles in Revelations, and if possible, patch II and Brotherhood to remove them there as well.

Apologies if this thread has been created before.

Jexx21
10-16-2011, 03:51 PM
I would love for it to be removed also, or at least have an option to turn it off in the settings.

jjv0nk
01-01-2012, 07:33 AM
off
Right now I'm stuck in brotherhood with the exact same problem (wanted to complete the story before starting revelations) I simply can't aim for where i'm going. Locked camera: playable but not enjoyable. I get a shiver every time my camera gets locked. I never make a 100% synch when i'm on a time crunch, don't even care anymore once the camera locks.

kalo.yanis
01-01-2012, 07:55 AM
I might be in a minority here by saying that I actually like most of the scripted camera angles. For me, it gives the game a more cinematic feel, although I do agree that sometimes it may be hard to aim in such situations.

Then again, while free-running I like setting the camera to non-standard angles to get a feel of Ezio's acrobatics as though it's from the official trailers or screenshots. So I'm kind of used to/trained in navigating like that.

But I can perfectly understand why it might not be everyone's cup of tea, so an option to turn it off would be nice.

j0kay
01-01-2012, 08:00 AM
Yup, give us a option to turn it off.