PDA

View Full Version : Bummer - Got it, and it's so ugly without AA

vugamesau
03-18-2007, 11:47 PM
I wish it weren't true, but this game looks pretty terrible without AA. No matter how many fine effects it has, when every straight line is a mess of jaggies, it's hard to ignore the lack of AA.

I've tried disabling all environmental and in-game effects, and forcing AA via the control panel, but it refuses to work. I'm using an NVIDIA 8800GTX card running at the native resolution of my monitor, 1680 x 1050.

Can't believe such a massive issue was allowed in to the final product. I can believe it in mainstream games, but for simmers, who are a techy bunch and understand what antialiasing and anisotropic filtering are, this is going to be a big issue.

walsh2509
03-19-2007, 12:46 AM
Be thankful you have a 8800 , I have a 6600GT and while SH3 looks good enough, SH4 is a poor 2nd. No doubt it will look great on a top end rig but not on mine, ship have that cut out paper look about them , the jagged lines awful when looking at ship in profile.

Interface, ok I will have to get used to it, but SH3 you had your officers faces and clicked on them, in SH4 it little icons in boxs.

the pscope, ok I know looking through a pscope you would not have seen the "handles" of the scope (like in sh3 or the torp button) but in 4 it black with the viewfinder in the middle and click on a side tab and out comes this big metal firing box, takes away from the look of the pscope as in I like it the way it was in SH3.

early days , but as for graphics
P4 2ghz
1Gb ddr
GF6600GT

not the best I know , but the look of SH4 on my rig is not that great looking , with the high standard put into the game by the devs, I knew it would be but the look of the ships via the Pscope for my compared to SH3 is not good.

And school, deck gun, HE shells hitting the deck , no explosions , no fire ball when they hit something on the deck. Takes away from the fun of it and even when the ship does explode, on my rig with the GF6600GT they look weak.

Crosseye76
03-19-2007, 12:55 AM
the pscope, ok I know looking through a pscope you would not have seen the "handles" of the scope (like in sh3 or the torp button) but in 4 it black with the viewfinder in the middle and click on a side tab and out comes this big metal firing box, takes away from the look of the pscope as in I like it the way it was in SH3.

And school, deck gun, HE shells hitting the deck , no explosions , no fire ball when they hit something on the deck. Takes away from the fun of it and even when the ship does explode, on my rig with the GF6600GT they look weak.

The Periscopes would look different, The US and Germans used different periscopes.

As to the explosion effects, please make sure you are comparing the same thing, I.E. the Stock, out of the box SH3 ( No 1.04 patch, no GWX, no mods, or any other extras) to the stock out of the box SH4.

Liddabit
03-19-2007, 01:05 AM
When I went to family day with my hubby's infantry unit they were firing off a bunch of explosives and beeeg guns like the deck guns on the subs. There where no big flamey booms like in movies .. just ginormous poofs of smoke and stuff flying all over. Maybe they just made the game more realistic?

vugamesau
03-19-2007, 01:16 AM
Explosions or not, the lack of AA makes this game an eyesore. Hard to believe that the last game in the series looked better, but it's true.

walsh2509
03-19-2007, 01:26 AM
Crosseye , I understand they are different Pscopes, but its just when you click the sidetab to bring out the firing box. It doesn't look neat or part of the Pscope.

Just been in for about 20mins, hope Ive just missed it as in SH3 you have the switch to move the Pscope up and down. So far all I've seen is the incons in the control bar and its up and down, don't seem to have a chance to rise it bit by bit.

I clicked on the crew in the control room and in sh3 they would turn round and look at you. I clicked an clicked but nothing happened.

I know the Pscope are different between US subs and Uboats but the lay out of the SH3 scope looked much better..

Nearly for got, fired a few shells at the ship in deck gun class, and after a few shots I zoomed in to the ship the crew on the stren were gone as I got hits there, no mess just gone. But further foward apart from a mgunner on deck the rest of the crew were now crouching down with there hands over there ears and heads, when before I started to fire they were just standing upright walking about..

vugamesau
03-19-2007, 01:44 AM
No doubt it will look great on a top end rig but not on mine,

Well, on a 3.3GHz Core 2 Duo (overclocked), 8800GTX and 2GB DDR2 800, it looks terrible.

Verdian_
03-19-2007, 03:01 AM
On a opteron 165 @ 2.4GB, x1650-xt, 1gb on 1600x1200 with all details on full it looks great.

RoyalHighlander
03-19-2007, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by Crosseye76:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

The Periscopes would look different, The US and Germans used different periscopes.

As to the explosion effects, please make sure you are comparing the same thing, I.E. the Stock, out of the box SH3 ( No 1.04 patch, no GWX, no mods, or any other extras) to the stock out of the box SH4. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Wouldnt you think that now with "version 4" of the game they would have worked all this sh*t out already?? Im getting the feeling that I paid $60.00 to be thier beta tester and every one will have to complain about problems for them to create a patch (like allways) I feel that them publishing the 4th installment of the same game they would have taken the time to work out the bugs instead of shooting for the quick buck/profit... tsk...tsk...

Antrodemus
03-19-2007, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by StarSoft_Cow:
On a opteron 165 @ 2.4GB, x1650-xt, 1gb on 1600x1200 with all details on full it looks great.

So, it looks like it'll be ugly-o-vision unless we run it at astronomical resolutions, yes? Not good. I'm a medium-res w/FSAA kinda guy. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

CaptainCox1
03-19-2007, 05:21 AM
Running it at 1289x1024 looks like pure eye candy to me.

Verdian_
03-19-2007, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by Antrodemus:
So, it looks like it'll be ugly-o-vision unless we run it at astronomical resolutions, yes? Not good. I'm a medium-res w/FSAA kinda guy. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Hehe, i guess so. But nevertheless i still want AA. A game can never look good enough for me.
And if you take a screenshot you still see tiny jagged lines, but during gameplay my focus is on other things. Those depth-charges next to my sub for example http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif

vugamesau
03-19-2007, 05:41 AM
Running it at 1289x1024 looks like pure eye candy to me.

That's great news for you, and wish I felt the same. For the rest of us, who are used to running AA with every PC game, it's hard to go back to such primitive visuals.

Markku38
03-19-2007, 07:05 AM
Well, I got SH3 when it comes and play. Then continued played IL-2 series, but have been back to SH3 when read about GWX.
Waiting my SH4... if game looks terrible, it can wait my closet when patches and mods coming http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

Meanwhile I'm surfing cold Atlantic and if want some heat, ask transfer to Penang http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

GoldenEagle8
03-19-2007, 08:46 AM
I'm sorry to ask, but I've never known, what does AA do?

walsh2509
03-19-2007, 09:47 AM
well I've had a quick look at the manual and I can't see it.

I'm talking about the Pscope, I've tried clicking on the pscope in the Control Room don't seem to work.

I click on the menu bar icon and I'm in the Pscope viewer, but unlike the Pscope in SH3 there is not water marker nor can I see a switch to raise and lower the Pscope to what level you want, all the Pscope icons in the menu bar do is fully raise or lower the Pscope, I will keep looking but there doesn't seem to be one on the Pscope itself like the one in SH3.

vertex42
03-19-2007, 10:04 AM
i too have an 8800gtx and besides the fact that without AA it looks like its always glitching the control panels are so clumsy....silent hunter 3 was so clean and easy to navigate...the features were great but this new one is rediculous it took me all day to figure out exactly what stations i had control of and how to do things...their was no officers just keys....

torpedo launching was just as bad...and using ur periscope without AA is hard on the eyes because all the water is constantly glitchy....

heres hoping it gets fixed...but all in all its challenging...

King-Damo
03-19-2007, 10:10 AM
OK guys, after being excited for ages and only recently joining these threads, you've now got me depressed - are you saying this is bad enough to suggest not buying it? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif
Whilst writing I'm UK-based, is the version we are talking about going to be the one I'd get??

walsh2509
03-19-2007, 10:33 AM
Ok had a read of the manual and the Pscope is moved up and down manually by PgUp and PgDn. But again so far I can't see or find an on screen switch like the one on SH3 Pscope to move it up and down.

You have to use the Kboard to do it not the mouse, the icons for the Pscope on screen only fully raise or lower the Pscope. Hands on Kboard to manually raise the scope.

Ok I've only start messing around with all the controls in Sub school, but just now I'm not liking the interface.

In Sh3 with the Officer icons, it felt like you were giving orders to that office. Now its just a line of icons wheel,Pscope,deck gun and so on, no feeling of giving orders, could be just me or its different in the main game and its just like this in Sub School.

Again could be Sub School and the sub in that, but again ang again i've tried clicking on the Pscope like you can in SH3 to get into it, but so far my clicking on the Pscope has not worked for me, I have to use the icon interface.

I've got the graphics set in medium, this mean half of the option are not turned on, even with this setting, clicking on an icon to take me from Control room to bridge is slow.

The icon interface leaves me cold, it feel like your on your own. Yes the crew are all there but this interface control leave me feeling like and outsider looking in.

P4 2Ghz
1Gbb DDR
GF6600GT

malkuth1974
03-19-2007, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by walsh2509:

I'm talking about the Pscope, I've tried clicking on the pscope in the Control Room don't seem to work.

I click on the menu bar icon and I'm in the Pscope viewer, but unlike the Pscope in SH3 there is not water marker nor can I see a switch to raise and lower the Pscope to what level you want, all the Pscope icons in the menu bar do is fully raise or lower the Pscope, I will keep looking but there doesn't seem to be one on the Pscope itself like the one in SH3.

US subs did not have those kinds of controls from what I have read. The periscope only goes up and down. Also this explains why you don't have a depth meter for the scope. Its not a bug its just the way it was.

People have to start realize that there was a vast difference between US subs and German.

joeap
03-19-2007, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by malkuth1974:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by walsh2509:

US subs did not have those kinds of controls from what I have read. The periscope only goes up and down. Also this explains why you don't have a depth meter for the scope. Its not a bug its just the way it was.

People have to start realize that there was a vast difference between US subs and German. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

King-Damo
03-19-2007, 11:03 AM
I was more interested in the comments about AA and dodgy graphics. Any comment?

malkuth1974
03-19-2007, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by King-Damo:
I was more interested in the comments about AA and dodgy graphics. Any comment?

No AA (anti aliasing). If you play it at lower rez it will look like ****. But since you don't have to use AA (which causing people to us low res in first place) you can have a much higher resultion to compensate for the lack of AA, and not suffer Frame Rate issues if you were using AA at said higher Resultions.

That said some reports of people with Lackluster Computers have them Almost maxed out in the Graphics options and they say it still looks great.

Strider_JD
03-19-2007, 11:39 AM
Guess I hold off buying this version and stick to SHIII. At least until patches or wait and see what the modders can do.

So many software houses release incomplete titles that its becoming almost expected. Its wrong to rely on the success of a previous version, knowing people are expecting more of the same, only better. Often, I end up buying anyway but not this time. I've learnt my expensive lesson.

w00ps
03-19-2007, 11:53 AM
No AA (or AF) is a crying shame . http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Why o why is this overlooked on a new game ?

I was looking forward to some kick as* visuals for my GTS/640mb @ 1680X1250 .

Iam sorry to say , this may put me off on a S4 purchase .

Any screenies posted would be a nice . TIA

CaptainCox1
03-19-2007, 12:11 PM
GTS/640mb @ 1680X1250 That will do you just fine, believe me. Get the game, its worth it, OK its buggy like hell at the mo, that's a bigger worry then if the game has AA or not. I still think the game just looks stunning running at 1280x1024 ( Samsung 940BF native) OK I got all cranked up 100% and it just runs like butter in the sun. Again the bugs are my headache at the mo as its getting pretty annoying to hear your torp hits (sound) looping forever.

Kromus1
03-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Shame, shame, shame... i really dont understand what they were thinking when they released this game w/o AA...
Btw, SH3 HAD AA , it wasnt patched in, it was there from the release.

walsh2509
03-19-2007, 12:36 PM
Thanks Joeap for clearing up the Pscope thing with the switch, I didn't know about that, but clicking on the Pscope when in the Control Room in SH3 took you into it but would seem that doesn't work here.

malkuth1974
03-19-2007, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Kromus1:
Shame, shame, shame... i really dont understand what they were thinking when they released this game w/o AA...
Btw, SH3 HAD AA , it wasn't patched in, it was there from the release.

There is no AA option in SHIII. And you are stuck with 1024*768 resolution. So luckily you could force it in SHIII.

But unlike SHIII. SHIV lets you chose your Resolution which will offset the slightly annoying Lack Of AA in SHIV. And since your not using AA in SHIV you can use a higher Resolution then you could normally use if you did have AA on.

NeoDeo1955
03-19-2007, 12:49 PM
Oh man!

Here I have been playing SH III all this time thinking that it looked great! Only to find out it has no AA.

Now I have to go back and see how bad it looks.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Kromus1
03-19-2007, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by malkuth1974:
There is no AA option in SHIII. And you are stuck with 1024*768 resolution. So luckily you could force it in SHIII.

But unlike SHIII. SHIV lets you chose your Resolution which will offset the slightly annoying Lack Of AA in SHIV. And since your not using AA in SHIV you can use a higher Resolution then you could normally use if you did have AA on.

Of course, theres no option, but everyone who understand how display settings work, could force it in.
Anyway, if you could force it, it means that it HAS AA... But, cant do it in SH4
Btw, this game has HDR (full scene glare) which means AA+HDR cant be turned on together.
So they had to make an AA option to turn on at least when HDR is turned off

Edit: Try Test Drive Unlimited, there you can see how HDR and AA thingy works, both can be turned on/off ingame.

nastutt
03-19-2007, 02:07 PM
Just enable AA in your graphics card software. Surely its that simple. So the game doesnt have AA big deal. I cant see it mattering at 1600 resolution. Youre making a big deal out of nothing.

walsh2509
03-19-2007, 03:05 PM
Ok I have been given my boat and I have set sail on my 1st mission.

P4 2Ghz , 1Gb DDr , GF6600GT.

Med setting, still taking 10 to 15 secs to move from station to station, if not longer. Logitech G5 laser game mouse, not great control over it, move with a wobble and have to drag down a few times to get it to the icon bar.

I went had to go to Low setting , mouse a little better not much, but station to station is now a second or 2.

Unlike SH3 you can not click on the crew to get them to react to you. Pscope in Control Room or Conning Tower does not interact with a mouse click, you to use you have to click on the icon in the interface. You can click and get into the Sonar station and the Radar station as well as the ladders what will jump you from CR to CT to Bridge.

Nav tab is the only way or Fkey to get to nav-map, I was stading next to the nav officer (I take it) who was standing at the table looking at the nav map, I looked down and clicked on the map but unlike SH3 this will not take you into the map. Fkey or tab icon interface.

On Nav the is the usual, return to course, time to course end but I can not see a icon for speed-fuel-mile available at set speed.

I don't see a weather report icon either? maybe I missed it but don't think so.

On map there is a rubber ruler and the rest of items required, just click on one and your mouse is now that item.

I dislike the interface, I would rather they stuck to the officer Icons and a sub menu of there duties, as in SH3 to NO WO and so on, took ou in more than just a row of icons. I could be not being used to it, but I don't think so. You looked at your sonar officer icon and the others and you what you wanted to know was there.. Ok it is in this as well, but not the same.

So with a P4 2ghz 1Gb DDr and a GF660Gt if you have something the same, its the low settings for you. You can just get away with MED settings, but you swap jump time from station to station.

CrazyBoris_1
03-19-2007, 03:38 PM
Not only is there no AA or AF but even if someone plays at max resoltion for a monitor like 1600x1200 their is NO way to force VSYNCH either. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif

So with a 8800 you get 100 fps with frame tearing along with alot of jaggies.

I guess we can start talking about how it's about gameplay not graphics (duh), since it's painful not to have vsynch or AA.

vugamesau
03-19-2007, 03:50 PM
"Just enable AA in your graphics card software. Surely its that simple. So the game doesnt have AA big deal. I cant see it mattering at 1600 resolution. Youre making a big deal out of nothing"

Please read the thread that started this post - YOU CAN NOT FORCE AA VIA GRAPHICS DRIVERS. The SH4 engine does not allow AA under any circumstances! And even when running at very high resolutions (I run at my native res of 1680 x 1050) it looks terrible without AA - a mess of jagged edges, on the boat, in the cabin, on the crew and even on the edges of waves. It's resulted in a game that is MUCH uglier than its predecessor.

XanderF
03-19-2007, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Kromus1:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by malkuth1974:

Of course, theres no option, but everyone who understand how display settings work, could force it in.
Anyway, if you could force it, it means that it HAS AA... But, cant do it in SH4
Btw, this game has HDR (full scene glare) which means AA+HDR cant be turned on together.
So they had to make an AA option to turn on at least when HDR is turned off
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not HDR that's the problem (and there are several flavors of that, too).

HDR is 'high dynamic range' - in increases the 'bit depth' of displayed colors. There are a few variants of that - the "Half-Life 2" games (Episode 1 and later) use integer-based HDR. This isn't "true" HDR, but it has the advantage of being able to be run by just about any video card.

'Oblivion' is an example of a game that uses 'true' floating-point HDR. This is a LOT more complicated - involves rendering to a floating-point render target - and requires specialized hardware to anti-alias properly. ATI's X1K-series cards can anti-alias FP16 HDR just fine, as can nVidia's 8-series.

The (apparent) problem with Sh4, and the problem with 'the other Ubi titles' (Ghost Recon 2, Rainbow Six Vegas, etc), is that they not only use FP16 HDR, but then perform post-processing shader effects on the scene after final rendering. This is the stage that FSAA *should* be taking place in, but it can't, because shader routines are run against the image to generate final output that completely bypass the multisample blending needed for AA to work.

(As to ATI's "other" AA modes - 'temporal' is somewhat interesting. ATI's cards have a programmable FSAA sample collector to generate the final output - vs nVidia's cards with a fixed sample pattern. Due to the programmable nature of this, ATI can switch sample patterns back and forth between frames. IE., if you are playing at 60 frames per second, and have 4x AA with Temporal AA enabled, the video card will take 30 frames at one sample pattern and 30 frames at a different sample pattern...alternating them back and forth. The result - to the human eye - APPEARS to be an 8x sample pattern. Adaptive AA is much more complicated to explain - it basically allows anti-aliasing of 'transparent' alpha textures...like the links in chain-link fences in most shooters, for example.)

If you are not familiar with AA, here are a few links with pics of the differences:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=85157&highlight=aliasing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:FSAA.jpg

http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q4/geforce-8800/index.x?pg=8

Wingtip9875
03-19-2007, 04:20 PM
and here i was excited about getting sh4 this week when released here in the us... Guess this is common now to release a pile of **** and let the paying customer figure out whats wrong then fix bout half of what "needs" to be fixed and push a bunch of "pay" expansions....

ive just bout gave up on my battlefield series with EA and their craptastic support... so i guess i'll now wait for crysis (unfortuenatly EA is a part of that too)....

Kromus1
03-19-2007, 04:25 PM
I don't see a weather report icon either? maybe I missed it but don't think so.

Can`t find it either http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Immacolata
03-19-2007, 04:25 PM
Ok. Pre-order at Amazon cancelled. Ill perhaps check back later when the bugs are patched and maybe theres a solution to uggly jaggies. Right now SH4 sounds like its a downgrade from SH3 rather than an upgrade.

bf2player2006
03-19-2007, 04:27 PM
will the game run smooth with a GTX 7800 Gs overclocked at 1280*1024 (native res) on the highest settings and will at that resolution there will be horrible jaggies?

System specs:
intel 2.8 ghz
2.5 gb ram
gtx 7800 GS o-c'ed

XanderF
03-19-2007, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Wingtip9875:
and here i was excited about getting sh4 this week when released here in the us... Guess this is common now to release a pile of **** and let the paying customer figure out whats wrong then fix bout half of what "needs" to be fixed and push a bunch of "pay" expansions....

ive just bout gave up on my battlefield series with EA and their craptastic support... so i guess i'll now wait for crysis (unfortuenatly EA is a part of that too)....

Well, FWIW, if you ordered the game from Ubi, AND DO NOT OPEN IT, it looks like Ubi will let you return it (http://storesupport.ubi.com/return.php).

For other vendors, though - you are likely on your own.

Charlie901
03-19-2007, 05:29 PM
From the reports I've read the 3d world resolution is locked at 1024x768 only the lower menu and other menus gets to higher resolutions.

So upping the res will not help with the Jaggies one bit since the 3d world is stuck at 1024x768!

U-49
03-19-2007, 05:37 PM
The issue isn't AA.

Ubisoft saw wisdom in keeping SH4 locked at 1024x768. Rather then natively support today's contemporary resolutions, they choose to simply upscale the antiquated 1024x769 to higher resolutions.

walsh2509
03-19-2007, 05:55 PM
This sim is going to test a lot of peoples patient's.I would not call myself a hardcore simmer, I play SH3 GWX 1.02 at 84% only manual targetting stopping me from 100%.

But SH4, if anyone thinks that GWX 1.02 patrols can be a bit boring a lack of targets, hahahaha! you have not seen anything yet if my 1st mission is anything to go by.

I take it the rule on the nav map is Miles? anway, PH to Marshall Islands read over 5,000 as the crow flies. My on station marker flag within a star was sitting in a grid some 600miles west of the Marshalls. On my trip there, ahead 2/3, I didn't want to use up to much feul as there, as far as I can see, no asking the Nav Officer who many miles can I get at x-speed. There is no officer icons anyway, just a compass icon for Nav.

On my trip there, I see 4 contacts on the map, in SH3 in the NA you could go ahead flank to run point to close in on the contact. As for the 4 contact on my map over the 5,000m trip, the closest was over 700m away. No running to close in on that, well no on my first mission, I want to save fuel just in case.

I am to patol the Marshalls, great! why put my On Station marker 600m west of them then?

These will be very long trips, and targets could be few and far between.

I am away back on station, for the next few hours to see how it goes.

Thank god the xtimes speed can go up to 4000x, could be more but I stuck to 2500 on the whole on my trip from PH to the MIs.

walsh2509
03-19-2007, 08:12 PM
Well I've just spent 2hrs patrolling the Marshall Islands. That is the 1st mission you get from PH, if the ruler is in miles? its near 5,000 from PH and your patrol marker which is part of the mission you have to reach is 600m west of the MI.

The 2nd part of your orders is to sink enemy merchant, I suppose and anything else that comes your way! You'll be lucky.

Now it doesn't say that you have to stick to a patrol area around the MIs though it is a very big area to partrol. Wake is some 1500m NW of the MIs.

As I said, in my last post I only seen 4 contacts on my way to the patrol area, the closest being 700m away.

I had it on easy and the contacts were blue, I didn't know it at the time but blue is US and friends. Red being Japanese, but it wasn't until I went to Wake that I found that out.

Now I take it as PH is your base then you have to return there after you meet mission goals. As I was on easy setting I don't think fuel mattered. In SH3 you had an officer icon and could ask if you do x-speed how far will my feul take me. That request/Q? is not in is, not that I can see.

So I patrolled the grid that I was to reach as my Patrol Station, and up and down the MIs. 30days and only about 5 or 6 contacts on the map all blue (as I said not until I went to Wake did I know that blue was US) and all contacts were at least 600 to 1000m away from where I was patrolling.

Now if you take a higher setting than easy,then you will start to use fuel. I would guess that you would not be able to just go off like I did to Wake, but you would partol the area round the MIs and that is big enough. If you were to go looking at wake or the shiping line to Wake then you could run out of fuel and you have at least a 5000m trip back to PH. Anyway when I went to Wake about a week or so after the Japanese took it there were only 2 merchants in the docks.

Strange thing, I got a contact appraoching from my 180 about 5000k out, and heading in a line to Wake. It was a US merchant, I would have thought it would not have come within 20.30m of the place.

Now I don't know as I was on easy how much fuel the 10,000m round trip from PH to the MIs would leave me to patrol with and how many miles I could search. I don't think it would be that great, as I said in 30 of patrolling from my station off the MIs, I never seen 1 enemy contact only 4/5 US ones all at least 700m from me.

Running Ahead full or Flank is not really on as the contacts are usually more than 500m away, and if the higher settings turn off the contact colours for countries. I can see a lot of unhappy bunnies out there..If they decide to try and chase them down.

tambor198
03-19-2007, 08:22 PM

Thank god the xtimes speed can go up to 4000x, could be more but I stuck to 2500 on the whole on my trip from PH to the MIs.

How's the TC working, walsh2509? Is there any freezing or mouse lag like there is in SHIII?

tambor198 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

Darias_Kehl
03-19-2007, 09:52 PM
Yep. bundles... just at higher levels of TC

walsh2509
03-19-2007, 11:25 PM
As above , yes mouse does freeze but not all the time,why? I took the TC that high that the box went blank.. The last reading I seen was x-7500

cmdr.claudiu
03-20-2007, 12:03 PM
They will feel our fustration in their sales. Tought a lil` bit of graphic upgrade, changing the war theatre... and voilla :another game for the suckers and let the modders do the work.
Not this time Ubi.

Personally i think that SH4 will be a great fiasco.
I will stick with Sh3.

nstutt
03-20-2007, 01:47 PM
I am keeping an open mind at the moment but am I the only one to wonder if these bugs are the reason why the game was not provided with a demo and that the USA release date was moved - so that the reporting of these bugs wouldnt affect the UK sales?

I will probably buy the game for myself but if its bugged to hell I will return it to the shop and buy it when its cheaper and is patched.

Its very unprofessional and shows very bad form on Ubisofts part if all of these bugs are true. I for one will be very vary of getting any other Ubisoft products in the future.

But hey lets try to keep an open mind. I dont mind minor bugs if generally its a very good game underneath. But its definitely a different game from SH3 and that is going to prove a little frustrating to old hands at SH3.

banzai_billy
03-20-2007, 01:50 PM
Think. USE YOUR BRAIN. SH4 has a world map, no?
Everything on every shore line in the world being model. Now, how would you like to be the one downloading this so that you can play a single mission sampler? You might as well be downloading the whole 10 gbs!

klcarroll
03-20-2007, 01:55 PM
Easy Banzai; ....a little less confrontational would be nice!

SS.DJSatane
03-20-2007, 05:30 PM
I have mentioned SH4 not having AA in a thread 2 weeks ago but everyone ignored. I guess now you learn to pay attention.

In any case I even posted a question regarding no AA in developers question thread but after I posted the question they locked the thread....

Please we need official statement from developers, will resolution 3d lock be increased in patch or ability to use aa?

Antrodemus
03-20-2007, 06:57 PM
I have mentioned SH4 not having AA in a thread 2 weeks ago but everyone ignored. I guess now you learn to pay attention.

So you're certain that everyone read your post, yeah? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

...anyway, it's been widely known since early vids & pics that there was no AA, and those shots that did look AA'd were probably downsized or otherwise post-processed. It's no great surprise to most, but a major disappointment for a large section of the community.