PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Fighters new CD - updated with patches?

Leafhopper
10-03-2005, 09:13 PM
I am interested in purchasing this (I have IL2 and FB with some patches and updates. Does the PF CD now contain the required patches (not necessarily addins or extras, but the needed patches) or will I have to go through all the nighmare scenarios I'm reading about to get it up to speed? Also, I do not have the Aces addon, does this make any difference?

Skycat_2
10-03-2005, 09:27 PM
You need Ace Expansion Pack to 'merge' PF to FB to create one seamless sim; this is the most popular option for online play. Without AEP you can still install PF by itself as a 'stand-alone' game.

If you install AEP and then PF, you will automatically get the material from AEP patches 2.01 and 2.04. (Similarly, AEP gives you all the 1.xx upgrades for FB when you install it so need to worry about patching FB before AEP, or patching AEP v2.0 before PF.)

I don't know what you mean by 'nightmare scenarios.' Installing PF from the CD-ROMs will only get you to version 3.0 (or 3.0m if you choose to 'merge' it to FB+AEP). You'll have to download the PF upgrade patches. There is one patch that will take your from v3.0 to v3.03 and a smaller follow-on patch that will update you to v3.04. Last, there is a new patch to bring you up to v4.01 -- if you choose to download it you can go directly from 3.03 to 4.01.

Bearcat99
10-03-2005, 09:33 PM
First off it is no nightmare.... just come here... it may or may not be mildly annoying but the solutions are easy enough to find. Coming here was the smart thing. You will definitely need The Aces Expansion pack if you want to fly the merged version which I highly recomend. Look here (http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?ref=google&product_code=311092&pfp=BROWSE). $10.... Comp USA.. Do not download any of the patches until you get The AEP and PF.. then patch to 3.04m and then 4.01m... by then 4.02 will be out hopefully. Hit the essentials link in my sig and scroll down to Patches.... FB3.00

Skycat_2
10-03-2005, 09:34 PM
The PF patches are here (http://www.pacific-fighters.com/en/updates.php).

I think it is an easy list of patches to follow, unlike in the past where all the little IL-2 patches were repackaged as larger comprehensive patches, but the links to the smaller ones were left up and suddenly there were branching choices of patch options depending on what version you were trying to upgrade from ... Now the patches have the same numbers for both the standalone install version and the 'merged' install option but the little letter 'm' at the end differentiates.

Leafhopper
10-03-2005, 09:38 PM
I read in a review at Amazon that PF as a standalone did not have the scenery for the Pacific except Oahu (I think), and that there was only 1 carrier. In other words, the standalone did not have the features included to make it a complete Pacific War sim. I can't imagine how that could be, but that is what was said. If this is not the case, and it can stand alone as a complete sim then okay, that is what I want. I do not play on-line, just miss the old carrier ops.
I haven't played IL2/FB for over a year now so I am way behind in what has been going on, patches, addons, updates and all.

Leafhopper

Bearcat99
10-03-2005, 09:42 PM
That isnt true... you get more than that as a stand alone for sure.. but IMO the sim is just not complete anyway but merged... no one thater is done fully and while true the PTO could be more extensively done... what we have at the moment and what is coming is nothing to sneeze at. IMO the only thing really missing is a decent allied torp bomber.. and that is due to some copyright issuesd with Grumman.... Look here (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/4591089933/r/4591089933#4591089933) to see what you will be getting. Franlkly it is worth every penny. Plus with te full merged version you will be able to install the upcoming patches as well.

Leafhopper
10-03-2005, 10:04 PM
Thanks, guys. Much appreciated info. The nightmare was my interpretation of all the patches out now and what I went through with IL2 with all those patches. This does seem a little easier, so I will see about Aces expansion and then PF. Then I'll be back with a bunch of questions I'm sure.

Leafhopper

Skycat_2
10-03-2005, 11:14 PM
I'll just add the list of ships that is added by Pacific Fighters:

USS Lexington CV2 (Aircraft carrier)
USS Saratoga CV3 (Aircraft carrier)
USS Carrier Generic
USS Battleship Generic
USS Indianapolis CA35 (Cruiser)
USS Greenling SS213 (Submarine)
USS Gato SS212 (Submarine)
USS Ward DD139 (Destroyer)
USS Dent DD116 (Destroyer)
USS Fletcher DD445 (Destroyer)
USS O'Bannon DD450 (Destroyer)
USS Kidd DD661 (Destroyer)
USS Casablanca CVE55 (Aircraft carrier)
USS Kitcun Bay CVE71 (Aircraft carrier)
USS Shamrock Bay CVE84 (Aircraft carrier)
USS Essex CV9 (Aircraft Carrier)
USS Intrepid CV11 (Aircraft carrier)
US LVT-2 Tracked Landing Craft
US DUKW Amphibious Vehicle
US LCVP Landing Craft
HMS Illustrious CV (Aircraft carrier)
HMS Prince of Wales BB (Battleship)
HMS King George V BB (Battleship)
HMS Duke of York BB (Battleship)
IJN Akagi CV (Aircraft Carrier)
IJN Shokaku CV (Aircraft carrier)
IJN Zuikaku CV (Aircraft carrier)
IJN Carrier Generic
IJN Battleship Generic
IJN Azizuki DD (Destroyer)
IJN Amatsukaze DD (Destroyer)
IJN Arashi DD (Destroyer)
IJN Kagero DD (Destroyer)
IJN Nowaki DD (Destroyer)
IJN Yukikaze DD (Destroyer)
IJN Fishing Boat
IJN Fishing Boat Armed
JP Daihatsu Landing Craft

Here is the list of maps that is added to FB+AEP if you install Pacific Fighters as "merged" and upgrade to v4.01m:

New Guinea
Kyushu (South Japan)
Chichi Jima
Guadalcanal Early
Guadalcanal
Midway
Tarawa
Hawaii
Coral Sea
Iwo Jima
Okinawa
Palua
Wake Island
Coral Sea Online 1
Coral Sea Online 2
Iwo Jima Online
Okinawa Online
Palau Online
Singapore1
Singapore2
Marianas
* Kurland Winter
* Kurland Autumn
* Kurland Winter online
* Kurland Autumn online
* Murmansk

(* = Maps added in 'merged' version patches only and intended for Forgotten Battles planesets. All other maps are in PF standalone.)

LEXX_Luthor
10-03-2005, 11:42 PM
Leadhopper::
I read in a review at Amazon http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Post a link to that review. Should be interesting to read. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Wellcome to Forgotten Board

MaxBruder
10-04-2005, 02:22 AM
You won't be sorry.