PDA

View Full Version : Hat switch issue

blairgowrie
02-05-2008, 06:25 AM
Although I have track ir4. I am unable to use it because of excessive light in the room where I fly.

I use a MSFFB2 Sidewinder stick and the hat switch to change views. Unfortunately, I can't get the hat switch to work properly unless I bring up the mini map. Then it works fine. But in a turning dogfight, this is a pain. It is not the stick. I have a couple of spares and they all work the same.

Any thoughts please?

Monterey13
02-05-2008, 07:00 AM
Define "work properly". Does it work, but not snap back, or does it not work at all?

blairgowrie
02-05-2008, 07:08 AM
Sorry for my sloppy English Monterey13. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

It will not work at all. Almost like it is frozen.
So no look up, look down or look left, right or back.As soon as I switch mini map on, it responds as it should.

Monterey13
02-05-2008, 07:22 AM
All I can say is double check your
Pan View
Snap View
Toggle Map

settings, and make sure they are not conflicting with each other.

Go over your joystick profile as well.

blairgowrie
02-05-2008, 08:15 AM
Thanks for your help Monterey13. I think you are right. I believe I have a conflict in my views as per:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v41/blairgowrie/view1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v41/blairgowrie/view2.jpg

I'll do some editing and see if that cleans up the problem. No wonder I am such an easy kill.

DmdSeeker
02-05-2008, 08:38 AM
What stick? and does it have it's own software?

Urufu_Shinjiro
02-05-2008, 09:22 AM
Throw a blanket over the window and use that trackir, lol.

TgD Thunderbolt56
02-05-2008, 10:23 AM
Yes, I'd try to shade at least a single window and you might also try the Track Clip Pro (if you haven't already) since it uses 'active' tracking from LED's in the clip as opposed to the "passive" tracking of the reflectors on the standard vector clip. Then you could adjust the sensitivity and likely get it working properly.

TB

Chris0382
02-05-2008, 10:51 AM
How about a can of black spray paint there ? lol j/k

blairgowrie
02-05-2008, 11:38 AM
I'd need either a lot of blankets or several gallons of spray paint to block out the light. In the room where I fly, I have no less than 27 windows. I live in the middle of a forest, on a hill and have many gorgeous views. I have tried blankets, screens; all types of good stuff but the only time I can get my track IR to work is late at night. And then my wife starts switching on lights.

I finally gave up and now the track IR sits in a drawer, along with the Track Clip Pro and the LED device that one of the Dogz built for me.

And DmdSeeker, I mentioned the type of stick in the opening post and yes I use the Microshaft software.

joejoemonkey
02-05-2008, 04:09 PM
mount the track ir receiver to your hat and put the reflectors on the monitor, invert the x axis and put a piece of cardboard behind the monitor. it will look goofy and embarrassing though.

BadA1m
02-05-2008, 04:17 PM
C'mon Jim, isn't it time you moved yer rig into a nice dark closet like the rest of us? And fer cryin' out loud lock the door so your wife cant interfere.

Urufu_Shinjiro
02-05-2008, 04:34 PM
Well, look like you only have one choice, build a full size cockpit enclosure with tinted canopy, http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

DmdSeeker
02-05-2008, 04:47 PM
The sidewinder software won't (as far as I know) work on any OS newer than Win98SE.....

However, if it's working for you, and you use it, then why are your button assignments still mapped to POV positions instead of key assignments?

That'd be my guess, that your hat programming in the Sidewinder software (and I'd love to know how you got that working on a NT5 system) is conflicting with the in game mapping.

What your describing sounds like you have a conflict between the hat and your mouse.

I'm hoping your sidewinder is either USB or your using the USB adaptor that later Sidewinders came with.

If so, are you plugging it into an unpowered USB hub by any chance?

blairgowrie
02-05-2008, 05:12 PM
I have uninstalled the Microsoft software and am just using the Windows drivers now. Funnily enough, my gunnery has improved 100%.

But the POV's are also working again so all in all, I am a happy camper.

All three of my Sidewinders are USB type and I have the one I use, directly plugged in to a USB port.

It has always been my understanding that the Ver 4 software was compatible with XP but I could be dead wrong on that.

Thanks all for our help. You set me on the right track I think.

buzzsaw1939
02-05-2008, 08:49 PM
The (right track) is track ir4 pro, can't beleave you gave up so easely, I couldn't fly without it now! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

jensenpark
02-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by BadA1m:
C'mon Jim, isn't it time you moved yer rig into a nice dark closet like the rest of us? And fer cryin' out loud lock the door so your wife cant interfere.

I'm sure he came out of the closet a while back.

I laughed about putting blankets on the windows (like me and other mere mortals do). I've seen BG's estate - might as well try to block the sun as to cover up the windows in his massive house.

I've seen smaller hotels...

Skoshi Tiger
02-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Hows about flying at night-in the dark (best when your loved ones are asleep) and use a ging on any external light sources!

blairgowrie
02-06-2008, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by buzzsaw1939:
The (right track) is track ir4 pro, can't beleave you gave up so easely, I couldn't fly without it now! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Not so m8. I tried Track IR3 and couldn't get it to work properly. I sold it to one of my squadmates. Then I tried IR4.

I fly in our main living room, close to a woodstove and a largescreen TV. It is the most comfortable place in the house. I have a back up computer in another room where track IR works just fine but my wife uses this room most of the time when I like to fly.

blairgowrie
02-06-2008, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by Skoshi Tiger:
Hows about flying at night-in the dark (best when your loved ones are asleep) and use a ging on any external light sources!

I do most of the hosting for the Danger Dogz coops and our hours of flying are 2pm EST until 7pm Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. Hours are geared towards our large European contingent and retired North Americans.

jensenpark
02-06-2008, 10:53 PM
If you geared it towards the honest, hard working members on the west coast - you wouldn't have those problems.

Lousy UK'ers and retired punks...

<walks away grumbling to himself>

BadA1m
02-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Who the hell let honest hard working people into the Danger Dogz in the first place? It's against our principles, and I won't stand for it!

On a more serious note, why don't you try erecting a black tent in the living room, and set up in there BG?