PDA

View Full Version : "We'll know what sort of man Jamal is"

Edengoth
11-08-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm sure I'm not alone in replaying the AC1 again right now in time for AC2's release (I'm doing one target every day as of yesterday, with Al Mualim on the 17th).
But I just noticed during the first memory block, when you're <STRIKE>going on a thinly-veiled tutorial goosechase</STRIKE> tracking down the traitor, after you bring Masun to AM, he gets stabbed and AM goes on about men who can be saved and men who are beyond help, and then he says "Soon we'll know what sort of man Jamal is."

First of all, is Jamal the basket-weaver who flees to Damascus or were there three conspirators and we never see Jamal? I really couldn't tell what was going on there.
Second of all, it stops there! We never find out what sort of man Jamal is. We never hear about it again. What the heck?

JudgeQwerty
11-08-2009, 03:07 PM
I suspect either Jamal had already fled or, far more likely, Al Mualim handled the matter himself. Presumably, if he's also taking orders from Robert, Jamal knows exactly who Al Mualim is, and he couldn't risk other assassins learning about it...

That's just my theory, though.

LaurenIsSoMosh
11-08-2009, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by JudgeQwerty:
Jamal knows exactly who Al Mualim is, and he couldn't risk other assassins learning about it... Hahaha...

If Ubisoft ever decided to make DLC for the first Assassin's Creed, they should have reskinned Altair with Al Mualim's model and sent the player on a mission - on a rainy night, obviously, to set a dark and evil mood - to kill Jamal. Probably wouldn't be able to make that work with the Animus, though, unless they want to explain Altair as Al Mualim's son...

TyronLeRoy
11-08-2009, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by JudgeQwerty:
I suspect either Jamal had already fled or, far more likely, Al Mualim handled the matter himself. Presumably, if he's also taking orders from Robert, Jamal knows exactly who Al Mualim is, and he couldn't risk other assassins learning about it...

That's just my theory, though.

The original quote states:

Soon we'll know what kind of man Jamal is..

<STRIKE>
Note that the actual and exact meaning of the phrase does not indicate meeting Jamal. It does not even feature Jamal as leading subject, therefor Jamal is not the most important thing in this sentence.

The sentence states that soon we will find out what kind of man is the kind that Jamal is. Which means we would either find out what kind of man a weaver of baskets is (not applicable in this case) or a man who fights for his own belief, rather than the belief of those around him.

So eventually this does not reference to ever seeing or hearing about Jamal ever again. It simply states we will find out what kind of man the man is that is Jamal.

And we learn he is a man who upholds his own beliefs and is willing to endorse that which he beliefs in.

Which makes him in essence a free-thinker, the kind that those who hold control hate - be it Al-Mualim or Robert de Sable.

That is what the sentence states. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </STRIKE>

Well, this is all rubbish.

Edengoth
11-08-2009, 05:45 PM
You know, I've never had a problem with philosophy, ethics, objectivity, vocabulary, or comprehension, but that post made me go "...wut"?
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

TyronLeRoy
11-08-2009, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Edengoth:
You know, I've never had a problem with philosophy, ethics, objectivity, vocabulary, or comprehension, but that post made me go "...wut"?
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Could be me, haha.

IMO 'Knowing what kind of man Jamal is' means AltaÔr will find out what a man who values his own ideas looks like. That's what Assassin's Creed is about. Belief and ideals.

X10J
11-08-2009, 06:16 PM
if i remember corectly jamal wasnt the basket weaver. the weaver delivered the letters between jamal and masun.

Edengoth
11-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by TyronLeRoy:
Could be me, haha.

IMO 'Knowing what kind of man Jamal is' means AltaÔr will find out what a man who values his own ideas looks like. That's what Assassin's Creed is about. Belief and ideals.

Ah, ok, I understand what you're saying. That's cool. I like that take on it.

TyronLeRoy
11-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by X10J:
if i remember corectly jamal wasnt the basket weaver. the weaver delivered the letters between jamal and masun.

Could very well be.
I always thought Jamal was the basket weaver.

But that raises the question: who is Jamal?

TyronLeRoy
11-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Edengoth:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TyronLeRoy:
Could be me, haha.

Ah, ok, I understand what you're saying. That's cool. I like that take on it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not so fast.
This is what the Holy Wi'quan of the Assassin's Wiki says:

Masun and another assassin named Jamal were the traitors who let the Templar's in to Masyaf with the help of the Basket-Weaver in the village. The Basket-Weaver delivered letters back and forth between Jamal and Masun - one of which Altair pick-pockets in "The Traitor" memory. Al Mualim kills Masun, who is unrepentant. Afterward, Al Mualim says he will speak with Jamal and decide if he is simply misguided and can be saved, or if his will has been corrupted by the Templar's and their propaganda. We never see Jamal, who was the "inside man".

This makes you think.
Did Al-Mualim really punish Jamal? Or was Jamal doing Al-Mualim a service so that he could get AltaÔr and the other assassin's to rally up for the coming war?

Hmm..
This is what the letter says:

I fear our plans have been discovered and we can no longer meet. Best you disappear before Al Mualimís men find you. They must not learn of my betrayal or everything weíve worked for will be undone. Iíve left some coin for you near the dead cyprus tree. Take it and head for Damascus. Lose yourself amongst the people there. When things have settled, Iíll contact you again.

Maybe we can find Jamal in Damascus?

El_Sjietah
11-09-2009, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by TyronLeRoy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
I fear our plans have been discovered and we can no longer meet. Best you disappear before Al Mualimís men find you. They must not learn of my betrayal or everything weíve worked for will be undone. Iíve left some coin for you near the dead cyprus tree. Take it and head for Damascus. Lose yourself amongst the people there. When things have settled, Iíll contact you again.

Maybe we can find Jamal in Damascus? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, that final letter never got delivered, so unless Jamal's psychic, I doubt it.

florisz1990
11-09-2009, 06:14 AM
Remember the man at the gate to the fortress of Masyaf? Altair and that man don't like each other. Altair even says "Another word and I'll put my blade to your troat." Maybe that's Jamal.

Edengoth
11-09-2009, 09:24 AM
No. That's Abbas. Altair says his name. Anyway, why would that be Jamal? There is no reason to believe he is a traitor simply because he doesn't like Altair.

Fristi61
11-09-2009, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by florisz1990:
Remember the man at the gate to the fortress of Masyaf? Altair and that man don't like each other. Altair even says "Another word and I'll put my blade to your troat." Maybe that's Jamal.

I doubt it, Altair wasn't very popular with any assassin at that point. Also, the assassin Altair argued with seemed to care about the creed a lot, if he was a traitor he probably wouldn't have cared that much.

There is an assassin somewhere in the kingdom who glows in red though (when using eagle vision), that could be him.

Then again, it is highly unlikely that, if he is Jamal, he hasn't been arrested by Al Mualim yet.

wapikas
11-17-2009, 01:11 PM
There is an assassin somewhere in the kingdom who glows in red though (when using eagle vision), that could be him.

Then again, it is highly unlikely that, if he is Jamal, he hasn't been arrested by Al Mualim yet.

here's you can see it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...aDZU&feature=channel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUturrWaDZU&feature=channel)