PDA

View Full Version : Check Six Pl0x?

wishbone9901
03-09-2008, 10:27 PM
I just got Il-2 and im liking it so far...

BUT I CANT LOOK AROUND FOR c***
in aces high, it was really easy to look around, and check six, ect. But in il-2 the head is only fixed in one place. This isnt very good, as how am i supposed to check six without turning around or be a little cheapo with third person.

Please help.

ImMoreBetter
03-09-2008, 10:31 PM
A few planes have mirrors. Which may or may not help much.

Other than that, learn to deal with it. Kick the rudder, barrel roll, whatever.

wishbone9901
03-10-2008, 05:51 AM
no, id like to LOOK over my shoulder, that way i can see behind me in that nice cockpit in the p51. just like aces high. Its a hella view back there i tell ya.

Worf101
03-10-2008, 07:05 AM
Sorry friend. IL does NOT have "6 degrees of freedom" you can't "look" over your shoulder. You will have this capability in Oleg's next game.

Da Worfster

midgie
03-10-2008, 07:06 AM
Are you able to look around in cockpit at all? You should be able to using mouse/hat-switch/number-pad or TrackIR.

Some planes have better visibility than others but I have no problems looking around (kick the rudder if needed). Not played Aces High so cant compare.

K_Freddie
03-10-2008, 07:08 AM
6-DOF (looking over your shoulder) 'is promised' with the next sim installment (BoB:SOW) from Oleg, which will make it nicer.

Until then, kick a rudder, do a slow weave.. this is historically correct as well as looking over the shoulder.
Besides in the sim, you HAVE to do it, to survive.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

wishbone9901
03-10-2008, 10:46 AM
thanks guys. yea, this is the biggest thing i hate about il2, but ill have to check six other ways. i was just wondering if i was being stupid or something.

sgt.dumpster
03-10-2008, 02:31 PM
sounds like your stuck on the snap/pan view try to toggle thar for starters-astro

joeap
03-10-2008, 02:39 PM
You can use your mouse as well.

Lurch1962
03-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Hey, Wishbone,
I feel your pain! I too don't like this eyeball-on-a-fixed-in-place-stick "modeling" of the virtual pilot's viewpoint. A person's head naturally swings laterally as it sweeps toward the side/rear. Even the now-ancient 1942: Pacific Air War from Microprose moved the viewpoint laterally as the view angle varied (in the virtual cockpit mode.)

It would have been so easy to implement this from the start in IL-2--even a few virtual inches would be a big help! But apparently 6dof-like movements aren't do-able in this sim because many polygons which would then become visible with lateral head movements would be "see-through" due to having no texture maps applied. What a shame. Y'know, I'd be fully satisfied with those gaps in the 'pit just to have some freedom to move my virtual viewpoint.

And what further crisps my bacon is the fact that planes with telescopic sights don't allow the option to "lean-toward-the-sight" or "recline-back-in-the-seat" viewpoints, as is the case for optical gun sight-equipped birds. I use this to see around the framing *AND* make the headrest appear a bit smaller in angular extent. Furthermore, some of the fighters seem to have virtually zero fore-aft viewpoint changes, the I-185 being a case in point (although its minimal framing is not a big problem.)

--Lurch--

wishbone9901
03-10-2008, 07:49 PM
okay. so i guess im not being stupid. is there any other way to look rather than mouse/pan/snap?

Oh, and i cant bind my joystick hat for one button, so im stuck with not being able to look back, right and up.... so theres a nice blind spot...

ImMoreBetter
03-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Other than the keyboard or mouse, a TrackIR is the only (and the best) way.

I do suggest using the keyboard in snap view. That is the next fastest way, IMO.

astro_ninja
03-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Try FBview plus. you can find it here. http://vmf214blacksheep.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&...tle=FbViewPlus%202.8 (http://vmf214blacksheep.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownloaddetails&lid=6&title=FbViewPlus%202.8)

It allows you to change the speed of your hat switch and assigns it for you.

wishbone9901
03-11-2008, 08:12 AM
thanks. how much are track irs these days?