PDA

View Full Version : P39 Dilemma

Kootenai
12-29-2004, 01:49 PM
I find that the armament of the P39 (with the 37mm cannon) poses an interesting dilemma. The gun is devastating, but it is difficult to hit with it. On the other hand, the machine guns by themselves can be pretty effective against most opponents. Whenever I fly this beast I find myself torn between two conflicting approaches -- do I hold my fire and wait for that sure kill shot with the Big Gun or do I just ignore it and blaze away with my machine guns, which can do a pretty good job on their own, especially when compared to the machine guns on other similarly equipped planes like the 109s with the MK108.

While it's certainly satisfying to land a couple of those 37mm grenades on the target, and the results are quite conclusive, whenever I do this I find myself haunted by a nagging doubt that if I had just ignored the siren song of the Big Gun I could have shot the guy down faster by using the machine guns because I wouldn't have been waiting for that ideal shot to present itself -- i.e. I would have been cutting him up with machine gun bullets instead of jockeying for position for a definitive kill shot with the 37mm.

Sometimes I think the best way to use the Big Gun (against fighters - bombers are another story) is to save it for a finishing shot once you've already crippled the guy using the machine guns, but having that thing on board tends to cloud your mind. I'm wondering how those of you who have found success with the P39 handle this issue.

Kootenai
12-29-2004, 01:49 PM
I find that the armament of the P39 (with the 37mm cannon) poses an interesting dilemma. The gun is devastating, but it is difficult to hit with it. On the other hand, the machine guns by themselves can be pretty effective against most opponents. Whenever I fly this beast I find myself torn between two conflicting approaches -- do I hold my fire and wait for that sure kill shot with the Big Gun or do I just ignore it and blaze away with my machine guns, which can do a pretty good job on their own, especially when compared to the machine guns on other similarly equipped planes like the 109s with the MK108.

While it's certainly satisfying to land a couple of those 37mm grenades on the target, and the results are quite conclusive, whenever I do this I find myself haunted by a nagging doubt that if I had just ignored the siren song of the Big Gun I could have shot the guy down faster by using the machine guns because I wouldn't have been waiting for that ideal shot to present itself -- i.e. I would have been cutting him up with machine gun bullets instead of jockeying for position for a definitive kill shot with the 37mm.

Sometimes I think the best way to use the Big Gun (against fighters - bombers are another story) is to save it for a finishing shot once you've already crippled the guy using the machine guns, but having that thing on board tends to cloud your mind. I'm wondering how those of you who have found success with the P39 handle this issue.

faustnik
12-29-2004, 02:08 PM
The P-39Ns MGs are great against 109s and 190s. The .50 actually damage engines and kill pilots and the .30s annoy the Axis pilots with pinging noises. When the enemy sees you and all you have is high angle deflection shots, stick with the MGs only. Give yourself plenty of lead and let the target fly into the bullet stream. If the enemy does not see you and you fly up on his 6, use the cannon only. Set the target on the top of the horizontal sight line and fire in short bursts.

Against Zeros just use the MGs. The cannon will cause the Zero to explode into many small pieces that might harm your Cobra if you are too close. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

WUAF_Badsight
12-29-2004, 02:10 PM
its the most expert gun in the whole game

its the reason that the P-39 isnt used more than it is

Billy_BigBoy
12-29-2004, 02:17 PM
A while ago I hopped in a P39 for a quick ride in a mission by Icefire.
At first I was not aware of The Big Gun that makes this bird so heavy, until I popped up behind 3 Ju52's...
The were flying in a line formation, I pulled the trigger and the last in row vaporised. I jelled something according to my girlfriend and then I was behind number 2. Pulled the trigger and this one lost a complete wing. Number 3 went down shortly after that.
Then my formation was jumped by 109's and we entered a turnfight. I mannaged to blow one 109 to smithereens with this gun (flew through the fireball), but this gun was not really made for dogfighting.
Conclusion: Killing Fatboys is a real hit with this gun, but don't try to engage fighters, or at least you need some luck.

LStarosta
12-29-2004, 02:31 PM
I can just imagine the uber deflection needed with something of this caliber.

horseback
12-29-2004, 11:35 PM
It's a lot like throwing BIG rocks at lizards-you may not hit them every time, but when you do, SPLOOSSSHHH!!!

cheers

horseback

civildog
12-29-2004, 11:48 PM
I set the convergence of my cannon to 100 meters and the .50's to 200m. That way I can start pounding on the target earlier and use them to help line up the cannon. 1 or 2 rounds and the target is gone and i have plenty more ammo for both weapons for the next guy.

The cannon lofts a lot when you fire it so you need to be close. I find 100-150m to be best, but I do almost all of my shooting at about that range. It has around 30 rounds and I can pop off one round at a time because of the slow rate of fire. It's my sniper gun. Why feel guilty, the Luftwhiners have those Mk-108's they seem to all love so much?

I love the Cobra, it's one of the reasons I got the game. Don't worry about clouding your mind with thoughts from the Luftwhiner darkside, young Padawan, use the 37mm Force and you shall prevail.

Fehler
12-30-2004, 03:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CivilDog:
I set the convergence of my cannon to 100 meters and the .50's to 200m. That way I can start pounding on the target earlier and use them to help line up the cannon. 1 or 2 rounds and the target is gone and i have plenty more ammo for both weapons for the next guy.

The cannon lofts a lot when you fire it so you need to be close. I find 100-150m to be best, but I do almost all of my shooting at about that range. It has around 30 rounds and I can pop off one round at a time because of the slow rate of fire. It's my sniper gun. Why feel guilty, the Luftwhiners have those Mk-108's they seem to all love so much?

I love the Cobra, it's one of the reasons I got the game. Don't worry about clouding your mind with thoughts from the Luftwhiner darkside, young Padawan, use the 37mm Force and you shall prevail. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bah... big guns are for sissies!

This thing doesnt have any 30mm stuff!

GAU-8
12-30-2004, 07:51 AM
..err.. i gotta step in.

im a cannon man. p-39 is great. too bad the YAK-9K is not on any full real servers. i think im the only guy that ever flies it.... shes slow, not too uber in the turn department, and dives like a feather , low max speed too. but ..but i love her...know thy cannon http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SeminoleX
12-30-2004, 08:24 AM
When you see parts flying off your target from the machine guns...then is the time to fire a shot or two from the 37mmm to finish the job.

Should also be the method of choice for planes equiped with both 20mm cannons and machine guns.

The cannon's load out is to small for spray and pray gunnery.

AtorianPaladin
12-30-2004, 08:46 AM
The P-400 is another version used in PF, that is like the only good plane the marine corp gets pre patch 3.1.

Instead of the giant friggin 37mm, it has a 20mm hispano (same one used on Spits, Hurries, Late model Corsairs, 38's, Typhoons)

It also has the four fifties, and i think 2 or four .30's That is a hellova lot of fire power for such a early aircraft.

Heavy_Weather
12-30-2004, 08:51 AM
the only time I ever use the cannon is when Im extremely close to the enemy and know for sure I will score hits. Overall the mg's are quite effective against any aircraft.

Atomic_Marten
12-30-2004, 06:27 PM
Kootenai aim these guns and cannons on your target and fire them all. While 37mm have slow ROF compared to the MGs, it's still tolerable and when one of these eggs lands on your fighter-sized target, it should be seriously crippled if not totally destroyed.

I fire all my guns and cannons in most cases, regardless of target. About waiting for one-shot-kill, it is most satisfying offline, but online I would not reccomend it, with exception if you fly on 'realistic' server.

It all depends on a/c, armament and situation, but I found generally that with little spraying you can achieve better results than wait for one-shot-blow.

About gun convergence, for 37mm I set it mostly to 100m (some of the guys reccommend it and I was listen to them http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif), and for MGs 200-350m.

p1ngu666
12-30-2004, 07:40 PM
100 is the shizzle.
yak9m has a similer 37mm and is a nice fly...

oh on p39, ctrl g turns off/on wingguns http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

FiNaZZi
12-30-2004, 10:15 PM
If the enemy hasn't noticed you, just get real close and fire the kneecap-thrower at him. One shot anywhere and he should be dead. Just please don't shoot it at me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Otherwise, use MG's if you are dogging, and then finish him if needed when you are CLOSE, thi is the key with big guns