PDA

View Full Version : Finally got some friends to join me in 1946! Coop and Takeoff questions inside

McSniffles
07-22-2011, 11:44 AM
So recently steam has had 1946 on sale for a stupid cheap price and I've had IL2 FB for a LONG time, although I've lost the disk. I probably sunk a couple hundred hours into it when i was much younger. I got 1946 recently and I'm feeling all the nostalgia all over again.
So I got a x52 Joystick (I think, i used to have an x45, i miss the rudder pads in the back of the throttle), also got 2 friends to get the game and try it out and now they both have joysticks and throttles. We've got about 7 hours last night just learning how to fly, fight, takeoff, and land in a small dogfight match.

QUESTION 1:
I saw the campaign section for multiplayer, but are any of those campaigns dynamic, or is it just a set of the pre-set up mission campaigns. If no dynamic campaign, how long are these other campaigns?

QUESTION 2:
Why are my god damn tail/nose wheels always skewed during takeoff? i have to constantly fight to keep my plane from going off the side of the runway. I use the rudder controls to try and keep my plane straight during takeoff, is there another trick i'm not using?

QUESTION 3:
On the X52, what do you guys use for rudders, my old x45 had little rudder paddles on the back and I don't really know what to map them to on the new joystick, no i can't program it to the joystick rotation, that feels terrible.

Ba5tard5word
07-22-2011, 04:42 PM
For your tailwheel, sounds like you need to lock it before moving down the runway. You can assign it to a key, I have it set to Q.

McSniffles
07-22-2011, 05:14 PM
if the mission starts with us on the runway, i should just lock the wheel immediately? I heard that sometimes the engine torque can pull it as well. Is there anything I have to worry about as far as brakes when taking off (other than the obvious of not having them on).

danjama
07-22-2011, 06:02 PM
Actually, a few squirts with the brakes as you start your take-off roll can help you to stay in a straight line, if used with rudder. This will be especially helpful in aeroplanes with high torque, such as the Tempest or He111. With these birds and a few others (190 too), I find myself holding the brakes for a second or so then releasing it, then holding again, until i'm up to about 80kph.

Hope this is helpful, great to hear people still picking this amazing sim up and having fun with it.

I used to fly with a group of friends nightly, just buzzing around the sky in whatever took our fancy, flying under bridges, fighting in mock dogfights, and seeing how low we could spin a Bf109 before we had to recover. Great times, I miss them.

Tully__
07-23-2011, 12:16 AM
It's not torque, it's propwash that skews the nose on takeoff. It's normal and using rudder to correct is normal.

For a control to use on rudder other than the twisty stick there are lots of options. The X52 has two rotaries and a slider that would all work, or you can use a second controller of some sort. It's pretty easy to use an old or cheap two axis joystick to make some pedals, see http://forums.ubi.com/groupee/...9310655/m/3881052714 (http://forums.ubi.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/3881052714)

McSniffles
07-23-2011, 11:22 PM
So any word on co-op dynamic campaign? We do a mission but i dont know how to end it. Like we do a co-op campaign game and it says over radio mission complete and we land, but then thats it.

danjama
07-24-2011, 05:36 AM
It's been al ong time since I did an online campaign. I think I used to use Lowengrins Dynamic Campaign Generator, which is awesome. It can be as automatic or as customied as you like, and can cover all fronts - and can be used for offline and online campaigns. Read the instructions thoroughly.

http://www.lowengrin.com/news.php

Fantastic upgrade to the sim.

PhantomKira
07-24-2011, 11:34 AM
What I do for keeping the nose center is taxi onto the runway, line up on the runway heading, then lock the tailwheel. I'll slowly increase power, letting it get rolling, while holding back stick to keep the locked tailwheel on the runway. This helps maintain a straight line. Then, when I'm up to 60-80kts or so, I'll just ease off back pressure on the stick and let the nose come down, by then, I'll be up to full power, and the airflow over the control surfaces will make them effective so that the tailwheel is no longer needed to maintain runway heading.

McSniffles
07-24-2011, 11:58 PM
Why doesn't multiplayer have an option to set up a dogfight with AI. Like the same way you set up a custom battle in single player? Am I missing something here? Shouldn't this definitely be included?

STENKA_69.GIAP
07-28-2011, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by McSniffles:
Why doesn't multiplayer have an option to set up a dogfight with AI. Like the same way you set up a custom battle in single player? Am I missing something here? Shouldn't this definitely be included?

Look at the Full Mission Builder, you can make anything you want.

Tully__
07-28-2011, 06:00 AM
Why doesn't multiplayer have an option to set up a dogfight with AI.
You can't do it in Dogfight mode but Cooperative mode multiplayer you can.

Uncle_Stranger
07-28-2011, 12:29 PM
Why doesn't multiplayer have an option to set up a dogfight with AI.

It can be done using mods.