PDA

View Full Version : "Cockpit always on" - tips to help visibility?

drose01
11-22-2004, 01:01 AM
I've noticed the majority of online games on some servers have the "cockpit always on" enabled. It is sometimes hard to see what is going on, especially when a plane banks out of view.

What are strategies to deal with this?

Does a larger monitor show more sky and viewing area? Can you somehow hotkey to look up/left/right? Do people tend to play with an external view, when enabled?

I know the goal here is to increase realism, but in reality a pilot can quickly turn his head to see, not need to use his hands, which are already occupied.

Any thoughts???

drose01
11-22-2004, 01:01 AM
I've noticed the majority of online games on some servers have the "cockpit always on" enabled. It is sometimes hard to see what is going on, especially when a plane banks out of view.

What are strategies to deal with this?

Does a larger monitor show more sky and viewing area? Can you somehow hotkey to look up/left/right? Do people tend to play with an external view, when enabled?

I know the goal here is to increase realism, but in reality a pilot can quickly turn his head to see, not need to use his hands, which are already occupied.

Any thoughts???

HansKnappstick
11-22-2004, 01:22 AM
You mean, you haven't yet discovered the way of turning the virtual head of your virtual pilot???
Do you have a joystick with a hat?
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

WOLFMondo
11-22-2004, 01:26 AM
You can use your hatswitch. Theres a program called newview which you can use to further configure it to the sensitivity you prefer. You can also use your mouse.

I tend to use the number keypad when flying about checking for other planes and the hatswitch in combat.

Theres also cockpit mirrors which can be handy.

The very best method is TrackIR though.

Lunix
11-22-2004, 01:41 AM
Part of the fun is developing a little SA as well. Being able to predict what the other pilot is going to do. With a little effort you can maintain clear picture of where the enemy plane is even though he is not in view.

It is very satisfying to be able to shoot at and hit a target that has been obscured from view for a few seconds. Remember also that its not just you who cant see through his plane...

ucanfly
11-22-2004, 01:43 AM
For those with a simple twisty stick I heartily recommend trying out the mouse on the left or off hand as a means to view. Once you get used to it - it is second nature and fabulous. Use the new view hat switch as a backup when u need your left hand for something else and dedicate a button on the JS to return to center.

SeaFireLIV
11-22-2004, 01:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Any thoughts??? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This isn`t a Playstation game. There are multiple views which you MUST find some way use comfortably.

I had a friend of mine have a fly on IL2 with Cockpit on. He`s really used to playing PS2/1 games. I gave him instructions to use the Hatswitch to look around (I never bothered mentioning the Mouse or TIR as that`s too much for new starters). I switched stalls/spins off.

Anyway, he`d get on an enemy aircraft`s six, then the plane would immediately turn to get away out of his view, to the left or right, and he would turn to follow, but then he`d immediately lose the aircraft when it changed direction again.

He would never use the Hatswitch to LOOK for the aircraft and chase it. It was like, `it`s left my screen, therefore it no longer exist`. It was like watching someone wearing horse blinkers! But then I`ve been flying a long time... for new guys used to consoles and Battlefield 1942 aircraft the realism can cause a lot to run scared.

Anyway, you need to get used to using the Hatswitch with your thumb on the joystick or Mouse in left hand (you can speed up the reaction movement). The Mouse in left hand is not as hard as it may seem and is extremely effective but requires a few days of patience.

Alternatively, invest in TIR which will leave your hands completely free and use your head(as real life), but this again takes a few days to 2 weeks to get used to.

Tully__
11-22-2004, 02:06 AM
Something a lot of people miss for some reason. If you press a sideways view key and the "Look Up" key at the same time, you get the view half way beteen.

Stiglr
11-22-2004, 10:25 AM
The old "up modifier". Best programmed into a pinkie switch on a joystick, so that you can combine it with any lateral view to get "above the horizon, and "over the shoulder" views.

This is one reason why I will never consider the purchase of any joystick that lacks a pinkie switch.

drose01
11-22-2004, 12:26 PM
&lt;The old "up modifier".&gt;

This sounds promising, but can you explain what it is and how to use it?

Stiglr
11-22-2004, 06:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drose01:
&lt;The old "up modifier".&gt;

This sounds promising, but can you explain what it is and how to use it? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quite simple. On your keypad, 5 is normally UP.

If you press just 5 you look straight up through the top of your canopy (also known as your "lift vector".

If you hold 5 along with any of the other directional views, you will look in the horizontal direction, but upward, not straight across. In other words, press 4 and you look out your left wing. Press 4 and 5 and you're looking up and to the left.

On a joystick, this is best done by assigning a switch on the bottom of the stick base (e.g., a pinky switch) to 5; this makes it easy to manipulate the horizontal views with your thumb and with the pinky add in the "5" up modifier when you need it. Or, if your stick lacks a pinky switch (a deal killer for me) you could press the 5 on your Numpad, or perhaps put the view on another piece of gear... some guys have this on a throttle unit, but the idea of handling views through TWO hands kind of offends my sense of ergonomics...but it can be done.

jetsetsam
11-22-2004, 08:22 PM
My free advice:

Set up your controls to return to front view after panning. Makes life easier. The hat switch for panning is mandatory. That or TIR. Use your mouse to look around in the quiet moments.

If you want to remain turned to the left or right (or up), use the f9 key. Then your view pans in segments of the view rather than moving smoothly. It's handy for checking out different parts of the cockpit, especially for reading the gauges. And for looking at ground and air targets from a distance. And very handy for looking over a shoulder as you're pulling hard onto the opponents 6. But toggle it again when the action really starts so that it's on smooth pan which snaps back to front view.

Set up a key/button to toggle field of view, in other words the zoom. Then you can toggle through the 3 levels of zoom (or 4 with shift/f2) to expand your field of view or zero in on that zero (the wings of your target should be within the circle of your zoomed in gunsite, and then it's just a few rounds and you're on your way to being an ace).

Select a bomber with multiple crew members. Set a control (L) for level flight, use it and then use the c key to cycle through the views of all your crew members. Don't forget to fly the plane while you're doing this. And along with the views, you'll see that most inexperienced pilots approach every plane, including bombers, from behind and a bit above and they line up from a long distance away and then linger for too long trying to make up for their absence of accuracy. And this is why every multi-crew plane has a rear gun that can fire upwards.

JR_Greenhorn
11-22-2004, 08:32 PM
One excercise you can do to help get accostomed to flying in the cockpit is to fly an entire offline mission with your view not forward.

Toggle F9 so that your numpad keys "snap" to a view and stay there (as opposed to "pan" views). Look out over one wing, or up and to the side a bit, then try to fly the whole mission without changing the view. It will help you learn to fly the plane while tracking or searching for targets around you.

For what its worth, I prefer the numpad snap views (with my left hand). I have cheap joystick, so I've never tried a hat switch, but I find snap views nice because I usually know where I want to look.

jetsetsam
11-22-2004, 08:53 PM
I missed-typed. It's the shift/f1 for the real close up view, and more importantly for the german and japanese gunsights.

Another view change that is invaluable is the right click on the map (M) view that zooms you in and out.

drose01
11-23-2004, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the advice. It will take me a little while to implement/experiment with these suggestions and see how they work.

A couple of questions still:

1 What is a hatswitch?

2 If the monitor size is increased, will the game show more territory, or will it just be on a bigger scale?

jeroen-79
11-23-2004, 01:43 AM
The hatswitch is the 4-way switch on your joystick.

The maximum field of view is 90? regardless of monitor size.
But it helps if you run it at higher resolutions.

johann63
11-23-2004, 11:47 AM
well I only use the keyboard to look around. I know I would probably do better with my hatswitch or using a mouse but I just got comfortable with the keyboard. I turn of snap back view and although from time to time I fumble with keys I generally do well to track the enemy. It was become second nature.

Of course always remember to move your plane around often to increase your view out of the cockpit; flipping on side, rudder use, occasionally upside down flying, mirror use, etc.

Thats not to say I wouldnt like having trackIR and I may try to learn the mouse more.

Stiglr
11-23-2004, 08:12 PM
If you're in the habit of only using the keyboard to look around, you're at a HUGE disadvantage to most other players.

Not only are they using a hat or mouseview to get a much more intuitive way to look around, they also have an extra hand free that you're using at NumPad. And that free hand is likely clutching a throttle unit, with a bunch of other controls right under their fingers.

For you, I'd strongly suggest TrackIR, or something to better automate views.

I have been having problems with a hat pot that sometimes LOCKS my view out the right wing, so I've had recent experience with actually having to use the keypad during combat (!!) to get out of a jam. It's not fun.

You really would be doing yourself a favor by learning to use a hat switch...