PDA

View Full Version : OT maybe: Licensing

VonKlugermon
02-04-2005, 08:04 AM
A few years ago, my sister-in-law gave me a nice shirt for Christmas. It's got all sorts of airplanes (civilian) all over it. The manufacturers and models of these airplanes were all very obvious to the trained eye, however, every last one of aircraft had been "altered". Slight misspellings or a barely noticeable change in the picture of the aircraft itself. The reason for these minor differences should also be (painfully) obvious: licensing issues! It would appear that the manufacturer of the shirt skirted copyright/licensing issues by simply slightly altering the name and look of the aircraft presented on the shirt. Could the licensing issue that Oleg is reportedly facing with a certain US company be simply side-stepped by doing something similar? Purists would scream, I know, but still, it's something to consider. Heck, we all know the J8 is the Gladiator!

Willy

VonKlugermon
02-04-2005, 08:04 AM
A few years ago, my sister-in-law gave me a nice shirt for Christmas. It's got all sorts of airplanes (civilian) all over it. The manufacturers and models of these airplanes were all very obvious to the trained eye, however, every last one of aircraft had been "altered". Slight misspellings or a barely noticeable change in the picture of the aircraft itself. The reason for these minor differences should also be (painfully) obvious: licensing issues! It would appear that the manufacturer of the shirt skirted copyright/licensing issues by simply slightly altering the name and look of the aircraft presented on the shirt. Could the licensing issue that Oleg is reportedly facing with a certain US company be simply side-stepped by doing something similar? Purists would scream, I know, but still, it's something to consider. Heck, we all know the J8 is the Gladiator!

Willy

F19_Orheim
02-04-2005, 08:19 AM
That's because it IS a J8http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif