PDA

View Full Version : How to fly Corsair

WTE_Snowhawk
11-07-2004, 06:11 PM
Just a few quick questions. Last night I was on a USN vs IJN server, and kept getting shot down even though I was using E tactics. I thought the Japanese planes were slower and better turn fighters than the Corsair. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Also, I thought that all F-4U's were given the name Corsair. Why three variants with F-4U and three with Corsair? I'm guessing Army/Navy?

WTE_Snowhawk
11-07-2004, 06:11 PM
Just a few quick questions. Last night I was on a USN vs IJN server, and kept getting shot down even though I was using E tactics. I thought the Japanese planes were slower and better turn fighters than the Corsair. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Also, I thought that all F-4U's were given the name Corsair. Why three variants with F-4U and three with Corsair? I'm guessing Army/Navy?

JR_Greenhorn
11-07-2004, 06:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WTE_Snowhawk:
Why three variants with F-4U and three with Corsair? I'm guessing Army/Navy? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Probably American/British. USAAF didn't operate any F4U to my knowledge. The FAA did, however.

Tully__
11-07-2004, 06:34 PM
US variants were F4U, British were Corsair. Like the Mustang, the British name has been popularised.

As for how to fly them, I'm still working on that myself http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

WTE_Galway
11-07-2004, 07:00 PM
Not all Us variants were F4u just teh Vought built ones http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

remember the Goodyear built Corsairs were FG-1 and the Brewster were designated F3A-1

just being nit picky http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ColoradoBBQ
11-07-2004, 07:14 PM
The best way to engage Japanese aircraft is to be above 4000 M and use the three stage supercharger to keep your speed high.

WTE_Snowhawk
11-07-2004, 07:18 PM
yeah, the Jappo's were staying down low and drawing me into the fight on their own terms. I guess the corsair just doesn't do so well down low eh?

Biloxi72
11-07-2004, 07:32 PM
S!
It depends on which planes you are going against. If it is the ki84 the corsair is in a tough match up anywhere below 10km. With the IJN zero planes you should be able to out accelerate them. What i do is set my self a hardeck and try never to go below it, unless the enemy is lower. You are trying the E fighting which can be good. If i dive on a zero and he starts to turn i dive past him a couple hundred meters (if possible) then extend. The dive keeps my spped up and pretty much guarantees i am out of range of guns before i start to level off and reclimb. However i do like to turn with the corsair and she is not bad with it if you can keep the speed up. So everyonce and a while after boom and extend on one target i will see if he is getting lazy and turn with him. I can usually surprise a few of them that way and force them to bleed even more E then they wanted in order to avoid me. Just be patient,keep the speed going and dictate the fight. If they go to low for your comfort level then find a new target.

Maple_Tiger
11-07-2004, 07:37 PM
Just fly it like you would a P-51 or P-47.

Tully__
11-07-2004, 07:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
Not all Us variants were F4u just teh Vought built ones http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

remember the Goodyear built Corsairs were FG-1 and the Brewster were designated F3A-1

just being nit picky http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I knew someone would pick me up on that point and save me the trouble of looking up the alternative designations http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

ColoradoBBQ
11-07-2004, 08:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WTE_Snowhawk:
yeah, the Jappo's were staying down low and drawing me into the fight on their own terms. I guess the corsair just doesn't do so well down low eh? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Corsairs are formidable even at low level. Its just the Japanese aircrafts have a better climb, turn rate and level acceleration at low speeds that unless you get him early, he'll turn the tables soon enough.

Hunde_3.JG51
11-07-2004, 09:27 PM
Use hit & run tactics like you would in FW-190. You are faster and untouchable as long as you stay fast. Don't try to dive or zoom to gain energy, that really isn't modelled well if at all. That is why I say faster planes are reduced to hit & run while better turning, slower planes are much better dogfighters and are almost unbeatable by decent pilots 1 vs. 1. I am used to flying the FW-190 so I find adapting to the Corsair very easy (I'm used to being out-turned by everything), it does everything better but it's firepower isn't as strong, but then again the Japanese planes are pretty fragile. Don't follow the more maneuverable planes into turns, if they turn hard don't follow them, break off and get above them, then come back down on them. If you fly with a mate then drag and bag them, one leads them around while the other picks them off. You are not going to win in a slow dogfight, at least more often than not against good competition. Use your speed and high speed handling to escape if pursued. Anticipate where your opponent will be and make slashing attacks, don't try to latch onto his six and stay there, only to slow down and lose your advantage and have the tables turned. Don't charge right at opponents, stay outside their danger area with your speed and get higher until you have sufficiant advantage to attack. Against the Ki-84 it will likely come down to pilot skill and it is a tough fight for the Corsair. I haven't directly tested these planes against eachother to see where their strengths and weaknesses are but I plan to do so if my interest in FB/AEP/PF returns. Just some initial tips. Also, there is a thread me and others posted in about "Focke Wulf tactics", with that name. It may be one page two by now, but I recommend reading it as alot of what is said applies to Corsair, or for that matter any faster plane flying against more maneuverable opponents.

Remember, stay high and fast. Don't get sucked into turn fights or looping contests. Use speed and handling to escape. This goes for Hayabusa, Zero, and Tony (Ki-61) and pretty much most other Japanese planes on the Horizon (Raiden, Shiden, etc.). The Ki-84 is the exception and I don't have detailed enough info on them in-game to devise strategies...yet.

Hope this helps.

As a side question, didn't Brewster stop making Corsairs due to sloppy workmanship, or should I say forced to stop? Does anyone have more info on this?

Btw, those interested in the Corsair should look into Goodyear's F2G, what a beast, and optimised for low level operations.

wojtek_m
11-08-2004, 03:12 AM
The problem is that on WarClouds_PF you mostly encounter Ki-84s in a Corsair... The Hayate is better armed, more maneuverable, climbs better and is faster than the F4U. The Corsair should accelerate a bit better in a dive, but both planes loose parts at a similar speed (about 800 kph).

Well, my tips: don't enter combat at less than 5000m and engage Ki-84 only with significant energy advantage. Use 120% mixture to gain some extra kph. Aim for wings at first, as the fuselage of the Ki-84 is pretty well armed.

Wojtek

Fehler
11-08-2004, 03:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wojtek_m:
Well, my tips: don't enter combat at less than 5000m and engage Ki-84 only with significant energy advantage. Use 120% mixture to gain some extra kph. Aim for wings at first, as the fuselage of the Ki-84 is pretty well armed.

Wojtek <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a contradiction in terms. If you stay above 5k m, and you use 120 mix, you will actually be slower than if you use 100 or even as low as 80 mix. Less air means less mix if you want good combustion-power.

The corsair turns at high speed better than the Japanese planes, so dont get slow. Use your superior high speed turning ability to shake your enemy from your 6 or to get off a deflection shot. Deflection shooting in the F4U has to be the easiest thing in the game. The planes gunsights are so shooter friendly I had to check if I had my settings on "Realistic gunnery" when I first tried it.

Ahhh... if only my 190 had that gunsight! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

wojtek_m
11-08-2004, 03:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fehler:
This is a contradiction in terms. If you stay above 5k m, and you use 120 mix, you will actually be slower than if you use 100 or even as low as 80 mix. Less air means less mix if you want good combustion-power.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Corsair has only auto mixture, so you can only choose 100 or 120%. I've read somewhere that 120% gives a bit of a better speed even at high alt, it is also 'auto mixture' but richer...

WTE_Snowhawk
11-08-2004, 03:32 AM
One might note that The F4U only has two mixture settings, 120% and 100%. The reason for this is the supercharger. Picture a supercharger as a fan in the manifold, it forces more air into the manifold so that you can get more power by using more fuel than you could with the air at the ambient pressure. Hence why you do get more power it 120% in an engine that is supercharger equipped. As you climb to the top of that supercharger's range, you will likely have to decrease the mixture as the relative pressure slowly drops. Then when you cross the threshold to the next supercharger stage, you punch it back up to 120% and watch her go baby go!

Fehler
11-08-2004, 03:39 AM
Yes, both of you are absolutely correct. Guess I have been flying the Japanese crates too much lately.. LOL