PDA

View Full Version : What Computers can i use?

Wildcat5372
05-16-2010, 12:46 PM
I want to buy the IL-2 1946, but can any new computers work and do you need a joystick and rudder pedals?
Anything helpful would be awesome thanks

Frankthetank36
05-16-2010, 01:07 PM
You can run it on almost any computer unless it is really old. You don't NEED a joystick and/or pedals but you SHOULD get at least a joystick if you want to be able to aim with a reasonable level of accuracy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

AndyJWest
05-16-2010, 01:32 PM
Yes, almost any modern computer should be ok, provided it has a decent graphics card - some of the cheaper laptops might not be suitable. Do you already have a PC? if so, let us know what the specs are, and we should be able to confirm whether it will work.

Though there are 'minimum specs' given for IL-2, they are rather outdated, and we'd probably be able to make a more sensible suggestion if you told us what sort of PC you were thinking of using.

As for joysticks, what Frankthetank says is correct - if you aren't getting rudder pedals, a twist-stick joystick may be useful for rudder control, though some people find them awkward.

Zeus-cat
05-16-2010, 02:37 PM
The game allows you to play with keyboard if you do not have a joystick, but frankly it isn't worth it in my opinion. You simply can't control the aircraft well enough with a keyboard even for simple things. Dogfighting would be insanely hard with just a keyboard.

If I just used a keyboard I would be awful. With one of the best joysticks ever made (Microsoft Force Feedback 2 (no longer made)) on a good day I am all the way up to pathetic.

danjama
05-16-2010, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Zeus-cat:
You simply can't control the aircraft well enough with a keyboard even for simple things. Dogfighting would be insanely hard with just a keyboard.

Bah. Try telling that to the hundreds of online pilots who fight that way or have done! I did it quite succesfully myself for about a year!

Not that I recommend it. SA is zero.

Xiolablu3
05-17-2010, 05:17 AM
I also played with keyboard on arcade servers for around a year.

Its OK, but you do wear out a lot of the keys from the constant tapping. (If you just hold the key down then you will stall)

TgD Thunderbolt56
05-17-2010, 08:11 AM
All hair-splitting aside, just get a decent twisty stick (Saitek Evo or MSFFB2) or go ahead and get a stick and pedals combo.

As far as modern pc's go. Any will run this sim just fine provided you have enough video card in it. Shared VRAM on a laptop still isn't a good idea.

Wildcat5372
05-17-2010, 03:54 PM
hey guys i appreciate it alot, have a good one