PDA

View Full Version : First time online - VERY fun

XyZspineZyX
08-06-2003, 02:28 PM
I took the plunge last night and went online for the first time in FB via Hyper Lobby last night.

I have to admit it was nothing like I thought it would be. The last time I went online in a WWII airplane game was CFS 2 at the Zone. OMG - it was awful, just a stupid plane death match!! You start in the mix, dive through the mix, get someone on your tail and die - wash rinse repeat. Blah, I never played online again.

But I got on a server last night and really had fun. The server had takeoff/landing turned on so I got to actually fly a bit before I got in the mix. Also I got smoked a couple of times after I was encountered by an aircraft when I didn't have much altitude or speed. I saw him above me, looked forward, looked back up and he was gone. Then my screen went black and I was dead!

I did get a kill in - but I think I might have violated proper IL-2 protocol. We were fighting in the area of the blue airfield (I was red) - I saw a guy taking off and one of the red team 'vulching' him down the runway. It didn't appear that he hit him though. Anyway after the guy got off the runway I swooped down behind him. It took me a few minutes to catch up to him and he was obviously trying to gain altitude but we were pretty far away from the airfield so I lined up with my cannon and shot his wing off /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif .

Did I do a bad thing here? Also I got shot in my chute last night! Although I think it might have been the automatic AAA for the blue airfield since I had to bail out pretty close to it.

Overall had a BLAST! Played this morning for a bit before work and really just want to get home and try again.

XyZspineZyX
08-06-2003, 02:28 PM
I took the plunge last night and went online for the first time in FB via Hyper Lobby last night.

I have to admit it was nothing like I thought it would be. The last time I went online in a WWII airplane game was CFS 2 at the Zone. OMG - it was awful, just a stupid plane death match!! You start in the mix, dive through the mix, get someone on your tail and die - wash rinse repeat. Blah, I never played online again.

But I got on a server last night and really had fun. The server had takeoff/landing turned on so I got to actually fly a bit before I got in the mix. Also I got smoked a couple of times after I was encountered by an aircraft when I didn't have much altitude or speed. I saw him above me, looked forward, looked back up and he was gone. Then my screen went black and I was dead!

I did get a kill in - but I think I might have violated proper IL-2 protocol. We were fighting in the area of the blue airfield (I was red) - I saw a guy taking off and one of the red team 'vulching' him down the runway. It didn't appear that he hit him though. Anyway after the guy got off the runway I swooped down behind him. It took me a few minutes to catch up to him and he was obviously trying to gain altitude but we were pretty far away from the airfield so I lined up with my cannon and shot his wing off /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif .

Did I do a bad thing here? Also I got shot in my chute last night! Although I think it might have been the automatic AAA for the blue airfield since I had to bail out pretty close to it.

Overall had a BLAST! Played this morning for a bit before work and really just want to get home and try again.

XyZspineZyX
08-06-2003, 02:45 PM
You now have two options open to you.

1. Stop this madness immediately and rip out the modem cable.

2. Watch your features become more pale and skeletal in the mirror as you lose more and more life to online play.

I chose 2.

Or it chose me.

Lixma,

Blitzpig.

XyZspineZyX
08-06-2003, 02:47 PM
Welcome to the biggest fun all over!!

(Besides playing with Pamela Anderson's tits /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif )

XyZspineZyX
08-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Hy, and welcome.

If the server dosent say anything about Vunching then just ask the host or any one.

Vulching is shooting human controled plane's on the groung or while there takeing of. If there trying to land but there weels havent touched the ground then it's usualy ok to shoot him. Lots of us agree that if it's not safe to land than don't. I usualy wate until the enemy leavs the airfield before I engage him.
But we all have differnt views.

Silent out...

XyZspineZyX
08-07-2003, 05:49 AM
Yeah my first time of Hyperlobby was totally cool too.

http://sunstarentertainment.maddsites.com/images/1asigh.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-07-2003, 06:48 AM
Welcome to the online madness.

Vulching-I don't do it even when allowed. If a plane is on the ground, it's off limits to me. If they are approaching an airfiled with their landing gear down, they're off limits to me. (Although that's how many Me-262's were shot down in WW II.) Once an aircraft has left the airfiled and it's wheels are up it becomes fair game, to me.
Now this is just me. I've been shot down landing and taking off. The only time it upsets me is when I'm on the ground.
I try to hold to a code reminesent of WW I and be a gentleman at all times. I don't however expect that of my opponents. To each his own.
Did you do something wrong? If you did the other players would hve let you know in no uncertain terms. Ultimately the host can kick any player who violates the rules of the game.
Bottom line on "Vulching", IMO, don't. But check with the host. If they say OK, then it's OK.

*****Only left handed people are in their right minds.*****

<center>http://www.ghosts.com/images/wing.jpg

XyZspineZyX
08-07-2003, 06:55 AM
progrmr wrote:
- I took the plunge last night and went online for the
- first time in FB via Hyper Lobby last night.

Welcome to the hotel california... It's a lovely place...

TAGERT
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If WAR was not the ANSWER.. Than what the H was your QUESTION?

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=forum
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=discussion
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif pinion

XyZspineZyX
08-07-2003, 07:54 AM
Salute

It's really up to the Server host to provide enough anti Aircraft Artillery protection for the airfields to prevent vulching.

Some Server hosts specify no vulching in their Description. If it says there, then don't do it. The worst is when a Server says: "no vulching", but doesn't provide protection for fields. Then you always get some jerk coming in and strafing the defenceless planes.

Other server hosts will allow strafing and bombing with Attack aircraft such as the IL-2 or Stuka. Others allow it for any aircraft armed with bombs or rockets.

Others allow anything.

Personally I design my servers so that someone trying to strafe an aircraft which is landing or taking off will run a very large chance of being shot down by the field AAA. I usually put 4 20/25mm guns and 1 85/88mm on each active field.

And my servers are war oriented, so I provide lots of ground targets, including stationary aircraft on the field.

As far as attacking aircraft which have already taken off, and which are climbing for altitude: Most people consider that a legitimate tactic. Anyone who doesn't check their six and flys in a level straight flight for any length of time is making a big mistake. If the field AAA is designed correctly, a smart player can circle over a field until he gets enough alt to fight.

There is nothing like fighting Human opponents.

But dogfight servers are only a taste. The best is when you get involved in an online war with a Squad. Then you have to coordinate with other members of your Squad, including those who are flying Bombers or Attack aircraft. You are using voice comms, and you are fighting against an opponent who also fights in teams.

Nothing like fighting in a team and coming out a winner. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

If you are interested in joining an online Squad check RAF74 out.

Our homepage is here:

http://www.aircombat.ca/RAF74/index.htm

We have our Tiger's Head emblem in IL-2, and FB under the Regimental options. You can select it in Dogfight.

Cheers RAF74 Buzzsaw

XyZspineZyX
08-07-2003, 08:09 AM
a squad can help you improve, and it is way more fun to fly in formation with friends and u wont get killed that much anymore cause squadies protect you.

if u are interested : www.666th.com (http://www.666th.com)
we are recruiyting now, fly in online wars : vef and vow
do training and have own dynamic missiongenerator.

cya in the skies !!

http://www.666th.com/uploads/forumsigs/2-devbleuscreen2.gif

papercuts are the worst

XyZspineZyX
08-07-2003, 08:10 AM
tagert wrote:
- progrmr wrote:
-- I took the plunge last night and went online for the
-- first time in FB via Hyper Lobby last night.
-
- Welcome to the hotel california... It's a lovely
- place...
-
-

..You can check out any time you like
But you can never leave..

Your're right! This is Hotel California! Welcome!

XyZspineZyX
08-07-2003, 02:38 PM
I too have just gotten into IL2 online and it is indeed a blast!

RAF74BuzzsawXO I will check your site out as flying online in a squad sounds very interesting to me!